Maternal & Child Community
Six year old boy with stomach pain, bloody stool for months now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ok April 15th my son stayed home with daddy because his stomach was hurting him. he would not eat anything drink anything and he threw up that night. ever since that night his stomach has been hurting him off and on for months now. Sometimes he will complain and he'll go to the bathroom and feel fine, but other days that doesn't work it still hurts. these days when it doesn't help he won't eat, drink, and he'll sleep alot, but ends up throwing up( also he has nothing to throw up b/c he hasn't ate or drank anything). Last week he came up to me and said mom my poop was green and it had blood in it. this week it hurt him enough to make him cry about it, but he went in the bathroom pooped and went to bed and 45 minutes later was fine. Now the only thing that I have given him for this was pepto, I am not quite sure what else to do. he has not yet went to the doctor, I want to kinda be prepared and take a journal of what he is eating, drinking and how long the pain last (when it starts and stops). If anyone can at least throw some answers out there I'd appreciate it thanks
Tags: Pain, stool, maternal, Beach
I really think you need to get him to the dr. asap
Definitely he needs to see the doctor asap.  He could have an intenstinal blockage and/or a fissure somewhere in his digestive tract.  Have him seen as soon as you possibly can.  Good luck.
The green color is probably from the Pepto but the fact that there is blood is a red flag.  I also say go to the doctor ASAP.
I WOULD TAKE HIM TO THE DR. ASAP FOR SURE SINCE HE HAS BLOOD IN HIS STOOL.
The green stools could indicate bile and any medicine package will tell you if you see blood in the stool to consult a doctor. I would take him in immediately and have them run a battery of tests.
I would def. get him to the doctor as soo as you can. My son had this same problem, he was 3 at the time and just started to go on the potty. He had a hard bowel movemaent one day and it had blood in it and it was also green. I took him to the ER not knowing what it could be. They ran extensive tests and it came back that he was literally full of poop. He wasn't going as regular since he was on the potty. They told me the green was because it was in his tummy too long and the blood was from him sta\raining to go. They recommended laxatives and lots and lots of fruit to get him back regular. I also had him down to Children's Hospital for it because it could have been worse. I don't remember what exaclty what else it could have been but it had something to do with one of his organs not functioning correclty, sorry I can't remember what it was called. My son was fine after we changed him to tons of fruit and juiuce and he has not had anymore problems. Good luck. I hope I helped at least a little bit.
Tiffany
Is it to have the green poop??  Does that mean something is really wrong?  I know that youa rent supposed to have red poop or black.  My DS has been pooping green for almost a week.
It is strange, I can't help but think it also has to do with their immature systems sometimes, they just don't digest everything the same as an older child or adult. Good luck with that potty training, I hope you have better sucess than we've had here. My son has Sensory Integration Dysfunction, and at 4 1/2 still can't usually "feel" when he needs to poop until it's too late. It's quite frustrating for him and (needless to say) for me, too. :-)
There are foods & food dyes & meds that can make the stool green. (Pepto is one) If your son doesnt have blood with it & no other symptoms then it is most likely something he's ingesting that's causing it. Try to think if he's eating or drinking anything this week that's new or different than usual. The case described by kshields has many more symptoms & a long duration. I wouldn't worry yet, if I were you... my son has pooped funky colors before for a few days when introduced to new foods he likes & eats too much of, if you know what I mean. Then all goes back to normal after a few days.
Thank you.  I wasnt too worried about it cause my dad said it could just be change in environment or something.  He does this once in a while.  Like when we were on vacation on Myrtle beach he pooped green ALL WEEK!!  Now he is doing it again.  i read somewhere that it just means everything is moving through his system too fast....not sure about that one.  plus we are trying to potty train him (he pees GREAT) but he wont poop.  Its makes me crazy!!
My DD has green poop from time to time, I think it is just what they eat and how it effects each individual.  PS I live @ Myrtle Beach, its a great place to vacation!!
I would so love to live at Myrtle Beach!  that would be so great!  I love the beach!  Thanks for the info!!
wow, he really should have seen a doctor months ago.  Good luck.  Constipation etc in children should be taken seriously as they can develope rectal problems, etc, like colapsing.  Take care and hope he feels better soon.
Red blood in the stool usually indicates a rectal tear.  Probably from straining to go.  My nephew had similar issues when he was about 7.  He had to watch certain ingredients in some foods.  I'm not sure what...i'm sorry.  I would definately at least call the Dr.  He may want to see him right away.  Or he may even give you suggestions until he can see him.  g/l.
i agree w/ seeing a dr.  I have green poohdinky (sorry tmi) because i am taking iron supplements and also I take spirulina and chlorella and it makes them green.  I would be more concerned w/ the blood and agree that if he is straining it can be from that but best to see a dr.