Maternal & Child Community
Sperm Donors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Sperm Donors

How do I go about finding a good decent sperm donor for free?! Because they're way too expensive nowadays, what advice would you give me?

please help!
Tags: donor
The only thing I can think of is perhaps a friend could help you out? I don't know any other way of getting sperm donation for free. Sorry. Hope you find what you're looking for.
I don't think you are going to find a sperm donor for *free* that you KNOW has a good genetic and mental health background...unless you find a man, take the time to get to know him enough to determine if you trust him to just be a sperm donor with no further involvement, and obtain his medical record information that will determine the other half of your child-to-be's genetic makeup. And chances are, if you find a man to do that, then you will have to form a relationship with him on some committed level.

I hope you find what you're looking for as well. Best of luck to you.
You really aren't going to find one for free unless you already have a male friend that you trust and is willing to do this for you, though if there is no sex involved, you will still have to pay for the AI. Good luck and i hope all works out for you.
Just an aside, as to why doing it though a sperm-donation agency might be a good idea -- a lawyer friend once told me that a sperm bank is the only way to break the legal obligation of father to child.  A woman in my family was looking for a donor, and he (the lawyer) cautioned me to tell her that the child will always have a legal claim on the dad (even if the entire relationship between the woman and the man was just for the purposes of sperm donation) unless the sperm comes anonymously through an approved sperm-donor agency.  No document drawn up between the parents saying they desire nothing from each other is enough to cut the child's rights.

That said, my family member used the sperm of her brother-in-law, who did not want kids of his own.  It has worked out OK, though the kids do call him "Daddy Jim," and there is some sense of obligation on his part I think,

Another friend wanted a baby, and she picked up a guy and had a one-night stand.  Not that I recommend this (she doesn't even know the guy's name or his health info or anything at all), but she got her baby.
I dont know anything about this subject but I want to wish you the best of luck in your search for a sperm donor!
like the other ladies said, a good friend is your only hope in finding a free donor. another option for you though would be to look into frozen embryos. A lot of couples have some left over after there fertility treatments and are willing to let other couples have them and you might be able to find one that isnt so expensive. Not making any promises though. Dont know if you would be interested in that or not.
Apple is in the U.K., and there is not a supply of frozen embryos there, from what our British correspondents have said in the past.  Nice thought, but even in the US that also would take more money than getting frozen sperm, since it involves dealing with the endocrinologist and RE when thawing and inserting the embryos.  
Hello to everyone, thanks for giving me some great advice, i have some plans, like a few of you said, asking a friend for help, which i will do.

Unfortunately i cannot do anything at this precise moment in time, I've come down with something, so I've been quite poorly for a few days, not good, so am having plenty of home time..

I will write back again soon, to let you all know whats been happening in pregnancy world :-) and if i have become successful in finding what I'm looking for..

Thanks again...