Maternal & Child Community
Still bleeding 2 months after D&C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Still bleeding 2 months after D&C

I miscarried back in December 2006 at 9 wks and had a D&C on the 14th of December. I bleed heavy for almost 2 weeks i think, then I just kept spotting for the next 4 weeks, sometimes really light and brown, and sometimes a little more heavy and red and with cramps on and off.. My doctor put me on birth control and told me that it should regulate the bleeding, he said he didn't know why I was still bleeding 6 weeks after the d&c. I started taking the birth control on jan 22 and on jan 24 I had bad cramps again and I passed a very hard clot about 2inches long and grey with some white subtance at the top and the cramps stopped immediately after. The following night, Jan 25, I started bleeding more heavy, like a heavy flow period I thought maybe my period was starting. I continued bleeding until about January 31st and finally stopped bleeding all together, i was convinced more that maybe my period came and I was finally getting back to normal. That was until this Sat., Feb 10, when I started to lightly spot. It was very light, it didn't even hit my underwear, I only saw it when I wiped and it was brownish. That continued until this morning when I started to bleed a little more heavier than spotting and it was more red. Please help. Is this normal? I am so scared that my husband and I will not be able to have children, this is my second miscarriage and I am only 20 years old.
I had an m/c back in Dec too.  No D&C just cytotec back in Jan to help speed things up. I have been having on and off bleeding as well.  I think it just takes time.  Have you had your HCg levels checked to make sure they are back to normal?  Or a U/S to make sure there is no tissue left?  Good Luck and I'm sorry for your loss.  Dont worry you and the DH will have babies!!!
I haven't had an u/s and I haven't had my levels checked either..I don't know if I can get them done. I don't have health insurance. I have Medi-cal insurance, but it was only for my pregnancy. I don't know if it would cover anything after a miscarriage and d&c.
I'm curious about the clot you passed. That sounds odd especially since you had already started birth control. I had an hcg test done without insurance and it wasn't too much, worth it to see if you are ok, ya know?!

Let us know how you are ok?
You could also try taking a pregnancy test again.  Some test as low as 25 HCg in the blood (i.e. first response is suppose to be one)  If it still turns positive you know that there is still placenta tissue left to make the test positive.  Give it time and everything should pass.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  I'm sure that someday, you and your dh will have children.  You have time on your side, that's something.  I've had 3 m/c but I'm trying to remain positive.  You can do it.
About your question, let me tell you about my experience.  I had a d/c on 1/19 and bleed for a little over a week.  Sometimes it was heavy, sometimes light, and I did have a few clots.  One thing I did was monitor my temp.  I continued to take it every morning after the d/c and it remained high until the day before I stopped bleeding.  Because of this, I knew the hcg was out of my system.  It sounds odd to me that you have been bleeding so irregularly.  Was your af regular before?  If there is still hcg, that would explain some things.  I hope everything goes back to normal soon for you.  I know what a pain in the neck continuous bleeding can be.  It's scary too.  If you can, get the blood test.  Just to ease your mind.  Take care, Melinda
Thanks to all of you guys for your advice.. my period was for the most part very regular before I got pregnant the first time... after my first m/c it wasn't too irregular, but not as regular as it usually was.. I will take a pregnancy test and let you guys know what happens..
yeah, the hard clot kinda scared me.. i wanted to call the doctor but i had just called his office two days before it happened and i didn't want to nag, i had passed a clot that actually looked like the head of the fetus, it was light colored and had two dark spots like eyes, and when i called my doctor and told him about it he was like "oh no, its normal, i cleaned you out"... I'm thinking maybe i should get a new doctor, but im not too sure because of the whole insurance thing. should i tell the doctor about that hard clot?
it sounds to me as if maybe there was tissue left after the d&c. the main reason to do the d&c would be to remove all of the tissue and stop bleeding, but if anything is left behind you can continue to bleed. the "hard clot " you described sounds alot like fetal tissue according to alot of other posters descriptions. if that were the case you may just now be getting ready to start regulating and that "could" have still been m/c bleeding. sorry for your loss and i do hope things even out now
Hi, my head is all over the place...it's been hell for me...my story...I miscarried at 11wks, a missed miscarriage so I was told, anyway had a D&C on the 7th november & have not stopped bleeding since.  Was admitted to A&E three times with fast heartbeat & they ignored the fact that I was still bleeding.  My last visit to A&E was on the 4th Dec & eventually they took me seriously as the bleeding was very heavy...they did a pregnancy test & it was negative & then discoved that I had a haematoma on the back of my uterus & retained products caused by the D&C...had a follow up scan a week later & was told that the uterus looked like it was getting back to it's normal size..guess what feeling a little strange last week & chanced a pregnancy test & it was positive!  Have taken 3 more since & all positive...went to doc & she said that it's a new pregnancy & not as a result of retained products.  She said there was no point going for a scan yet as they would see nothing as embryo is still too little.  I told her that  I have been bleeding quite heavily & passing clots, large & small, I'm a nervous wreck!  She just said to sit tight & wait...can someone please advise me...I'm shattered!
I know exactly what your going through. After being pregnant for 12 weeks I found out that the baby had died at 9 weeks. They said that the best choice was for me to do was to have a D&C after having my D&C on July 9th I was bleeding for 4 weeks and ended up in the ER with horrible abdominal pain with increased bleeding. After many tests and ultrasounds they found that they had missed some products of conception behind so I was scheduled for a second D&C on the 4th of August and now it is the 2nd of October and I am still bleeding after the doctor prescribed me a Birth control pill that I didn't continue to take because it was making me vomit. today I passed a large blood clot as well that was about the size of a half dollar in diameter and about a 1/2 in thick it was hard as well. I am so confused as to what is going on and the Dr.s are being no help I want so much for my life to go back to normal but it cant go back to normal until the bleeding stops I need some advice. Have the figured out what was wrong with you? Has your bleeding stopped? PLEASE HELP
I'm going through the same thing right now, I had a D&C after the delivery of our deceased son on September 11th 2010 and I'm still bleeding.  The doctor put me on birth control for the last few weeks and I continued to bleed a bit throughout, now I'm off the pill to have a "Normal" period.  Two days after I went off the pill I started to bleed ALOT and I called my doctor who said I will probably need another D&C and to go into emergency, but by the evening the blood flow slowed way down, so I didn't go into emergency.  But today (4 days after I've gone off the pill) I am having some abdominal cramping and I've felt nauseous all day long.  I don't know if I should go get checked out or just wait till next week and see if the bleeding stops.
I had a d/c on the 15th of april, 3 days after i had an ultra sound that showed no heart beat for the baby at 12 weeks, 11 weeks when it died.  Later found out I had a cyst in the placenta that may come back so i cant get pregnant for 6 months because the have to track it..  Anyway, I didnt start bleeding until almost a month after d/c..i had a little spotting for the month only wearing a panty liner, and then the last 2 weeks i have been bleeding as if i am having a periond with cramps too. dr said it was my body getting back to normal and to take birth control he prescribed me.  i dont want to take it because i dont want anything messing with my cycle if my body is trying to get normal on its own..so, yea, still bleeding almost 6 weeks after d/c and no signs of it slowing down...i dont know what to do?? oh and my hcg levels about 10 days ago where still 224 i do believe.
hi how r u? right now. is every thing  is ok