Maternal & Child Community
Telling baby's weight on ultrasound, how accurate is this really?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Telling baby's weight on ultrasound, how accurate is this really?

I'm 33 weeks and had my last ultrasound yesterday, they esitmated the babys weight to be 4lbs 6oz.... How accurate are they, they measure the femer bone(spelling?) so how does that tell them the weight? Was it right on your baby's weight? Thanks and baby dust to all :-)
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
i had a ultrasound at 34 weeks with my third child and the dr said she was about 7 pounds.  well i delivered at 36 weeks and she only weighed 6 pounds.  with my fourth child the dr did an ultrasound around 33 weeks and said he was close to 8 pounds well we was born weighing 6 pounds also at 37 weeks.  so in my experience my dr has been off every time.  i dont know if this helps you any.  Good luck.
Blank
123128_tn?1189759427
i am not sure how accurate it is BUT 3 days before i gave birth i had an u/s done the tech told me my baby was 8lbs 1oz well 3 days later i had him and he was 8lbs 2 oz so she was pretty right on with it. I have no clue how they figure it out though but good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and with the birth!
Blank
150937_tn?1235947480
With my first ds, I had an ultrasound at 41 weeks, and they told me he was 9lbs 13ozs, and at 42 weeks I delivered him at 10lbs 4ozs.  I think it was pretty accurate.  (I think my dr. should've induced me at 41 weeks instead of waiting until 42 weeks, especially when the ultrasound showed baby at size he was!)
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
They were accurate with both of mine.
Blank
151571_tn?1189759427
They were always pretty accurate with mine.  The last one they were off by a few ounces, but not that much.
Blank
They were so far off with my daughter, It sent me into a panic they said she was under 3lbs at 34 wks5 days I had her 35wks and 2 days and she was 6lbs 7oz so they were a bit off LOL, I was glad lol
Blank
For mine they always seem to guess too high.
Blank
With my son they figured close to 8 pounds, but probably a little under, and he was over 10 pounds.  They had no clue till he crowned that he was so big.  This one they are watching a little closer because he is measuring a little bigger than my son did at this time.  We'll see.  I have a friend that they induced a week early because hers looked like 9 pounds and they were almost exact on that one.  Another friend had a C-section as they felt hers was large and she had g/d.  Her little guy was around 8 1/2 pounds.  Hard to say, may depend on if the baby cooperates too.  Congrats on baby though!
Blank
They were off by almost a pound with my baby.  Everyone I speak to also say that it's a waste to do it b/c they were never accurate.
Blank
with my partner's last pregnancy they were off by more than a pound.
Blank
127124_tn?1326739035
With my daughter they estimated her at 5.5 lbs day before I had her
she was 5 lbs 15 oz
With my son the day before I had him they estimated him at 6.5 lbs
he was 6 lbs 6oz.
so mine were pretty darn close
However, my friend has had 3 babies at a different hospital than I did and all 3 were off by several pounds.
Blank
I had my last ultrasound at 32 weeks and they weighed my son at about 6lbs 13oz and i had him 5 weeks later  at 37 weeks and he came into this world weighing a wopping 9lbs 3.5 oz so they were very close with mine. they say the baby will gain 1 oz every day in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy so that is about 1/2lb a week. they told me if i would have gone full term 40 weeks , he would have been well over 10lbs.
Blank
They were off with my second. They kept saying she was going to be 10 lbs or over. She was 7 lbs 12 ou. Just a bit more than my first. Now they're saying my third is going to be large: 9 lbs. But I don't believe them. They just wanted to use it as an excuse to do a c/s.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...