Maternal & Child Community
The Baby Borrower show

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

The Baby Borrower show

I'm stealing the topic from another forum, but putting it here b/c I adore the show!  Its about 5 teen couples who want to have babies.  They are given first babies for 3 days, then toddlers, then middle age children, then teens, and then elderly people to care for.

Its a must see for ANYONE, teen or not, who is considering starting a family.  

Here's a link to the website.  Its on NBC.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Baby_Borrowers/
ive never seen an episode through, but I didnt know they were given examples of raising children of all ages, thats a good idea! Because my mother once told me as hectic as it is to have toddlers, she nearly lost all her hair being the mother of four teenage girls! lol
i saw it last night and i enjoyed it. although it's scary that some of those girls thought they'd actually be ready for a baby! especially the one who refused to touch the little boy because his mom got upset that she wasn't feeding him.

i think they need it to be more realistic though. I realize that one of the couple is expected to work, but honestly, most teen couples would NOT have a comfortable, spatious home. they also wouldn't have every piece of baby paraphernalia out there. they probably wouldn't have a cozy, safe cul-du-sac location either. chances are they'd either be living with their parents, or living with a fraction of what they are provided with. and from what i saw, the parents option isn't a great one for some of them.
I agree with tiredbuthappy, but also, they are at the disadvantage that they aren't the parents and the babies are nervous around them and may be more whiney due to separation anxiety...
I have never seen it, is it any good?
i think both of the teens would actually have to work and/or be in school every day.  i do know that in order for the mother to receive any type of assistance for the child, the state would require that she be back in school.  they had them living like they were the all american family in the suburbs w/ one working while the other stayed home.  that wouldn't happen w/ one making 7 dollars an hour.  their living conditions and accommodations would be much less than what they provided on the show.  this part needs to be changed it is very unrealistic and doesn't provide them w/ a clear picture and understanding of what would really be going on.  w/ the children whining, i cant really say that's from separation anxiety b/c my baby whines and cries all day long and im at home w/ her.  could just depend on the baby and temperament
I think the show has demonstrated very clearly that even under the very best of circumstances, those teens are having a very, very hard time managing a baby and the responsibilities of life.
Can you imagine if those teens were living in cramped quarters with few of the necessities?  It would be far worse.  But its bad enough as its shown.

Lots of babies cry all day and all night long.  Look at all the posts we have here, all the pleas for help with that very subject!

I love the show and agree with peek, these teens had excellent enviroments and the bottom line is, raising a baby is not easy!! I had my 10 year old DD watch it with me the last 2 weeks, she is all excited about the arrival of twin sisters and that is great,  but has also stated I cannot wait to have  my own baby etc... now dont go getting opinionated on me, she is a good girl and is under my wing all the time,  she thinks babies are cute and fun and all smiles all the time. dbut in todays world kids grow up fast.. and this is showing her that having a baby is not all cutesy and fun//  
I was trying to watch it last night but Ms Jazmine was screaming so loud I couldnt here the tv.  Ironic!
Ha, I watched it too!  I loved it and thought it was pretty sad that the one girl wouldn't even wear the belly.  Can't just get pregnant and not get the big ol belly.  Of course you don't feel sexy, and ya can't take it off.  What a sweet guy for wearing it.  Can't wait to see how it continues.
I personally watched 5 minutes of it and had to change it!!! It is giving false ideas about parenting...becasue NO MATTER WHAT, those people KNOW that it will be over in three days or how ever long they get the kids! Anyway can parent for three days....and they are not making any life decisions for them, or teaching them, or ANYTHING like that. It is not actually showing anything real about being a parent, it is teaching the strains of being a baby sitter!!! Also, who at 16 (or wahtever age they are) would be taking care of elderly people anyway, unless it was a profession?? So what is that teaching them, to be nice to grandma????? Sorry, my sister and I got into about this show earlier and I really think that reality tv is going too far, and this show is not even teaching teens about parenthood. There are TOUGH decisions and strains that are part of real life and being real parents that no show can mask. Its entertainment purposes only and most of it is staged anyway (take a media criticism class, you learn a lot about reality tv...its not really "reality"...most of it really is scripted). I guess the show might teach the kids ON it about parenting, but really, I think anyone can care for someone elses child for a a few days. Becuase NO matter what, in the back of your mind, you know it is not your kid and its not your problem in just a few short days....REAL parents don't get that relief in their minds to keep them trucking through the few days ahead of us. We are in this for life and the idea of watching kids struggle to be adults is not my idea of a good time!!!

You guys can enjoy the show...but I will personally be counting down until the fall line up returns to TV lol!!!
agreed.  reality tv is taking up all of the networks and it just is not entertaining anymore.  i want movies back.  whatever happened to those made-for-tv-movies that used to come on throughout the week years ago?  or new candid camera and blooper shows?  more good family comedies?  they were much better.  and if i see one more skit in a reality show w/ all the people sitting around in a jacuzzi, im gonna puke
I am with you on that one...lol. The shows keep getting worse and worse! I used to be a big fan of American Idol...but COME ON ALREADY lol! I completely agree with putting more TV movies on!
It did show that these teens could barely cope even for 3 days, though.  It wasn't like they breezed through it.  They got frustrated even though they knew it wasn't for long.  

You didn't watch it long enough if you thought it looked too easy.  Most of the teens failed miserably and got the shock of their lives about what taking care of an infant is like.  
I liked the girl who REFUSED to wear the pregnancy belly!!!  And her man did it instead!!!  (he laughed at her and she was so sensitive, she got into a SNIT!)  Just shows the lack of maturity!  Not like you have a choice about the REAL PREGNANCY BELLY!!!!
This show is a good idea in theory. Best thing they have come up with aside from bringing the teens into the delivery room while a mom pushes out a 9lb baby with no epidural and tears from hole to hole. Or forcing a teen to wake up and stay awake for a week or two for every feeding, every diaper change, while keeping her pawing husband at bay, the house picked up, and the other kids entertained.

The pregnancy belly would be a breeze ;-) Pregnancy was the easy part (and I had rough pregnancies with Jonathan and Tristan) it was what comes next that is the true test!

But alas, dumb teens who want a baby don't care what all the old cows say. What do we know anyway?