Maternal & Child Community
Threatened preterm labour 33 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Threatened preterm labour 33 weeks

You might have read my last post about my episonde of pains and bleeding at the weekend, I'm 33 weeks pregnant (will be 34 this Monday) well I was admitted to hospital with more bleeding and tightenings on Wednesday evening. I had bright red bleeding and a show when I used the toilet at the hospital, then the bleeding was just pink. When they monitored me the contractions were roughly 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. They checked my cervix which was  still long and closed but the ultrasound showed that our baby is breech. They took some swabs and admitted me onto the ward for the night, some of the tightenings were quite painful and then others just felt like braxton hicks tightenings -  I hardly slept a wink. On thursday I was monitored throughout the day and the tightenings were still regular but just mild like braxton hicks until the evening when some of them were really strong and I had to breathe through them, that only lasted an hour or so before they became mild again. The doctors were reluctant to examine me to see if I was dilated which was really frustrating, though they explained they didn't want to trigger anything else if the contractions weren't being productive. Yesteday morning the doctor said if the contractions were still as regular they would examine me, which they were so he did and my cervix was still long and closed. The examination triggered a bit more bleeding but it stopped quickly. They then did a fibronectin test (not sure on the spelling) which is another swab test that apparently gives an indication of whether birth is iminent in the few days, the result was negative. They said this isn't 100% but a good indication. They discharged me last night, so I'm now at home but  I'm still having mild tightenings every few minutes which is really worrying.

Ruth xx
I forgot to add I had another ultrasound in the scan department on Thursday afternoon (the machine they used in the delivery suite on the night I was admitted was a portable one with a very unclear picture) which showed he was still breech and estimated weight was 5lb 8oz.
Another thing I forgot to say is since all of this I have noticed I get the let down reflex tingling feeling every time I get a tightening and my boobs are leaking- which they haven't done before (not sure if this has any connection but it's strange) I have only had two drops of colostrum on my nightie in my whole pregnancy- last night I was soaked and had to change my bed sheets.
i would just watch yourself closely over the next couple days. If you have anything else out of the ordinary-go in! So did they say, is baby gunna be born via c section because he's breach? I would guess that they are waiting to see if he turns prolly huh? sounds like baby is already a pretty good size if he does decided to show early.Its too bad you have had to go rho all this anxiety already. (just another story to tell the little one when he gets older =) about the leaking, i would just have to guess that its because of how far along and how close you are. doesnt necessarly mean labor is soon. Best of luck girl! i was thinkin about you just the other day...wired.
Aww thanks for thinking of me :)  We didn't discuss delivery in depth at all, I would just imagine that being premature and breech it would be an automatic section, hopefully he won't come yet and may turn before it's time as I really don't fancy that cephallic version thing I've seen them do on TV.
I had two steroid injections to help mature his lungs just in case, one on the night I went in and one 12 hours later early on Thursday morning. Ouch the stinging- not nice! I'm just surprised they wouldn't give me anything to actually stop the pains, but when I asked before they discharged me they said I didn't need anything as they weren't productive pains.
Hi Ruthie! I know preterm labor is a scary thing, I had the same problem. I started having contractions at 20 weeks, was put on light bed rest. at 32 weeks I went to the hospital for contractions, I wasn't dialated and the contractions were  irregular so they gave me tributaline (sp?)  and the swab test was negative for delivering in 2 weeks, and sent me home, I was in the next Thursday for bleeding,they couldnt do the swab test to see if I would go into labor since I was bleeding, they said that would not come out correct. They said I wasnt dialated so they sent me home. That monday at 34 weeks 3 days I had a healthy 5 pounds 3 ounce baby girl! I was discharged Wednsday from the hospital and my daughter was discharged that  Friday morning. i woke up to some cramping, then I was "wetting" my underwear didnt think it was my water though, went to the hospital and had her 6 hours later. When my husband said we were in Thursday and they said "there wont be a baby for weeks" and here we are 3 days later, the nurse said, "yeah it's all a guessing game" you could make it 6 more weeks or it could be 6 days, I think you are far enough along that your baby will be just fine =) take it easy the rest of your pregnancy
Thank you for your response and for sharing you story. :) It really is scary. I had a similar experience with my last DD (now 3.5 years old) which started earlier (around 23 weeks I had my first contractions) but they too stopped them with the same drug as you've had plus the steroid injections as the fibronectin test was positive with her but funnily enough she didn't come early of her own accord- I ended up having several episodes but didn't dilate. I was eventually induced at 38 weeks as I couldn't stand the pains knowing they weren't actually doing anything. It was a relief in the end but I'm hoping this labour will be spontaneous as I react to the prostin pessaries they use and it took a long time to get me dilating. This time I'm hoping the pains go away and don't return until he's really ready to come (hopefully he will have turned around too!) I've had a few today but nowhere near as regular as yesterday and the previous few days so I have my fingers crossed.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!

Ruth xx
I have had the same thing with both my children. My first was actually born at 32 weeks because my water broke and so they couldn't do anything but let me have him then. The second was exactly the same as you described (but without bleeding) I was having fairly strong regular contractions for two or three days at 33 weeks, they did the swab test with me too and it came back negative. I carried him until 37 weeks when I had a  planned section as he was breech, he was born healthy and 8lbs 10oz.
It's not just me then!!! Isn't it strange, my first three were text book pregnancies but these last two (I blame my new husbands genes!!) have been a real nightmare!
I'm concerned because the pains are still so regular I won't know when I am dilated and with the baby being breech at the moment a home birth wouldn't be the best!
Luckily though I've never had a short labour so I'm pretty hopeful there will be signs that it's time.. my waters have only ever broken when I've been at the hospital and dilated to 4cm or so.
I have an antenatal appointment at 2pm at the hospital so we'll see what they have to say then.

Ruth xx