Maternal & Child Community
Toddler vomiting, can't keep anything down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My nineteen-month old son has been throwing up all day.  It started at ten am, then again after his nap at 2pm, and again at 3.  We took him to the ER but all they could tell us is he has a stomach bug and to give him pedialyte and bring him back if it gets worse.  Since we got home around 5pm he's thrown up three more times, everytime he has so much as a few sips of liquid, and what really worries me is he hasn't had a wet diaper since before his nap at 11am.  Just wondering if anyone has had a child go through this?  Any tips for treating it, and also what I should be on the lookout for to know if he needs to go back to the hospital.
If you do not get a wet diaper, you need to call the peditrican on call for your doctor's office.  That would be a sign of dehydration and it doesn't take much for a child that small.  Otherwise, I don't know really what to suggest.  I am surprised the ER didn't give him a phenergan (sp?) suppository of something.  Definately keep with the pedialyte, some popsicles, 7-up, anything the baby can drink.  I wish I could offer more advice, but I just don't know.  I know this is rough for you!  I hope your little one gets well soon.  Take care.
This happened to my 18 month old and I took him to the hospital after throwing up for half of the day. They sent him home that evening and he continued to throw up. I took him back to the ER the next morning and he was severly dehydrated. He was put into the hospital for a week with rotovirus. I would take him back if it were me. They told me it doesn't take a child that age long to get dehydrated at all.
I'm sorry you are going trough the same thing i went through a week ago with my ten month old.As long as you keep giving him pedialyte he should be ok,but if he gets where he is lifeless like then you need to get him to the er.we was told they dont give phenegren suppositories is because some kids were dieing from it.I dont know how your son is but my son is active and when he wasn't wanting to play or anything i knew something was up.I hope your lil one gets better and the only thing i could tell to do is keep forcing pedialyte down him...we was told to stay away from formula(milk in your case)for a day and then to gradually give him formula.I wish you the best and i'll keep you in my prayers....
If he has not had a wet diaper in 6 hours, they should give him an IV if you insist. If he still can cry tears though, they probably will say he's not dehydrated enough for the IV. They probably cannot do much about the nausea/vomiting though unless it is extremely severe because anti-nausea meds like phenergan are not very safe for babies unless they are hospitalized, and closely monitored.
When that happened to my son We had to give him a teaspoon of Pedialite every 30 minutes until he was able to keep it down. You had mentioned going to the ER, but have you called your son's Dr.s office to see what they say?
My DD has had a few stomach bugs, she usually throws up for a day or 2 (like your DS, she won't keep anything down) but I just keep giving her water or pedialyte, if she throws up, I know she still got a little bit of it in her system because it usually take about 20 to 30 minute to be puked up.
The virus will move down probably by tomorrow, and he will have very nasty diapers for a few days but no more pukies.
I know it's hard to see you little one so sick, but unfortunatly, there is nothing to do for a virus but just let it run it's course.
Good luck
My daughter couldnt stand the pedialyte so I gave her gingerale a teaspoon at a time.  She was able to keep that down.
Gatorade works as well, just more sugar which isn't really a bad thing when a child can't keep anything down, at lest he gets some sugar!
thank you all for your replies.  I ended up taking my son back to the ER yesterday morning, and he was admitted with a fever of 105, and slipping in and out of consciousness.  Definitely the scariest thing I've ever experienced.  They got him on an IV and he spent the night last night, today he's a little better but the fever won't go away.  I'm just hoping things improve so I can get the little guy home, he seems pretty miserable at the hospital.  Just a word of warning, if your instincts tell you your child is very sick, then don't let them send you home!
I am glad you followed your instincts. I had a feeling you needed to take him in again. I hope he is doing better.

As a mom you know when it is more than just a normal tummy bug.
my child has been sick to her stomach for the last two to days  cant keep anything down what can i do? father of child
hi i have 17 mths old twin girls..one of them got the vomiting then my other girl got it,,nw one of them is ok but my other girl is still very sick,,shes usually is very hyper little girl but she just sleeps alot and very drownsy..nt much of a wet nappy ,i just dont know wht 2 do,,
The same thing is happening to my bbygurl, she is 10 months n isnt even keeping pedialyte down??? Idk wat to do?? Reading this seems lyk taking her to the e.r. They wnt really do much kuzz shes so little): any suggestions???
My 4 year old is going through this as we speak,(4:33am ) One solution i find that works is using instant sugar-free jello, make it just as the box says instead of putting it in the fridge pour about a 1/2 cup allow the child to drink the liquid ( little sips)  Also flat soda works, or boil some white rice and drain the water before it absorbs and have the child drink that. Well Good Luck!