Maternal & Child Community
Too much amniotic fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Too much amniotic fluid

I just returned from my regular OB visit.  I'm 30 weeks pregnant.  At 28 weeks I had an ultrasound and just got a chance to discuss it with my doc at this visit.  He is concerned because I have too much amniotic fluid.  He said the range is 0-20 and mine measures 27.  He is sending me to St. Louis (larger hospital) to have the baby checked out.  Of course after googling the issue, I am now extremely worried.  I do not have gestational diabetes (just had my test done over the weekend...normal), I'm not carrying multiples, and I don't have the rH incompatibility factor.  That only leaves "fetal abnormalities" as the cause of my too much fluid.  Lovely.........please tell me if this has ever happened to you and if everything turned out OK...or not.  My appointment in St. Louis can't come soon enough!   :(  
I had an abnormal amount of amniotic fluid as well. The doctor said that was why I did not feel my son moving very often. We did not have any negative outcomes and it was not caused by any abnormalities in my son's case! Good Luck!
I had too much amniotic fluid also and my son is a healthy 18 month old. good luck!
I had tons of fluid with all my babies. My last baby is now 6 weeks old and my whole pregnancy I was told that my baby was huge and that I had tons of fluid. I was HUGE. I didnt have GD either although they kept insisting that I had it because of all the fluid and the large baby. Well they were wrong about the size of my baby. She came a few weeks early weighing 7 lbs 6 ozs. Not even close to the almost 10 lbs they thought she was at 37 weeks. I did indead have lots of fluid though. When my water broke I dont think I ever stopped gushing fluid, lol. So even though I had tons of fluid my little girl is perfect! I am RH- but I have never heard of that causing lots of fluid?? Try not to worry, hard I know but sometimes some woman just have extra fluid and there is no ryme or reason. Is this your first baby??
My second pregnancy I had excess fluid, my level was way higher than yours, about 32! I had an amnio done to check for abnormalities but everything was fine, my baby was born by c sect at 37 weeks and was perfectly healthy. I had to have the c seat as he was breech...he was literally floating in my uterus there was so much fluid and couldn't turn and engage head down! He is now a pretty cheeky 2 and a half year old.
I had more fluid then usual as well with my son. I was so HUGE and when they broke my water I flooded the room I was in.... Im not joking!  lol
My little boy turns 3 tomorrow and he is totally fine!
Best wishes!
Thank you so much for the replies.  This really does ease my mind a little to know that it can happen without any devastating reason behind it.  

This is my 2nd pregnancy and I did not have this problem the first time...at least not to my knowledge.  I only had one ultraound during my first pregnancy at 17.5 weeks.  My fluid level was not noticed as being high this time until the ultrasound in my 28th week.  So maybe I DID have this problem with my 1st daughter and didn't know it.  When I was induced with my daughter and the doc sat on the bed to break my water I LITERALLY soaked him.  It came out like a fire hydrant!  He said "Whoa!  We have a gusher!"  LOL!!!  Makes me wonder now....my daughter was also larger at 8lb 1oz five days early.  Hmmmmm

I guess I'll wait and see what the specialist says.  Thanks again so much!
I had polyhydramnios as well and for me, it turned out that my son had an intestinal blockage called a jejunal atresia and needed surgery to remove about 6 inches of his intestines a day after his early birth (34 weeks). My water popped in the middle of the night and I mean POPPED. It gushed and gushed. I kept telling people before it happened that I felt like I was going to pop. I was extremely uncomfortable with the condition so I hope you are at least comfortable. It put so much pressure on my ribs. Painful! Please keep us posted and I hope my story doesn't scare you. My son is now 2 and is perfectly healthy in every way!
How were they able to diagnose the intestinal blockage?  Did you know about it before delivery?  Were you prepared?  I appreciate hearing your story!  
We didn't know he had any problems until after birth. I nursed him shortly after birth and he vomited bile. He also had a distended belly. We were not prepared in the least! An intestinal blockage is nearly impossible to find before birth on ultrasound. I am currently nearly 32 weeks pregnant and they have been looking closely for a blockage in this baby but have found that everything appears normal. Hopefully that is the case for both of us with these babies. Good luck, I hope you are comfortable and that your baby is born without any issues, which is more than likely the case!
That stinks that an ultrasound can't detect blockage...ugh...I was hoping our ultrasound would be able to rule everything out.  :(  I wonder if an amniocentesis would show blockage?  They talked about having to do one of those as well...

I am fairly comfortable.  Trouble sleeping, heartburn, the "typical" pregnancy complaints.  :)  I don't think I have any symptoms yet solely related to the fluid issue.  
Hi there,
While I haven't had this issue before, I wanted to ask, did you do any of the NT testing or the AFP blood testing to assess your risk of abnormalities.  If so, wouldn't they have seen some markers then?  Just wondering.  
No, I didn't have the testing done. (NT or AFP)
I had the triple screen test done and was at risk for DS. I refused the amnio because of the risks involved. Having alot of fluid can also lead to breech babies as another poster has said. I had alot of u/s's for that reason too. My little girl was breech from day 1, lol. I was going to have a version (?) and have her turned but at an u/s at almost 37 weeks she turned on her own:) BTW- my u/s at 17 weeks showed ecogenic bowel which is a marker for DS. Although it can also be caused by tons of other things or nothing at all. Having lots of fluid doesnt mean something is wrong. Just keep thinking positive. My DD is perfect!!!
All of my testing came out normal. And, all of his genetic testing came out normal. So, I don't think an amnio would have even detected it. He had several other issues as well and still, his genetic testing was all normal. But, I don't want you to worry. Polyhydramnios can and often does mean nothing. I was just sharing my story (:
Hi Amy, just checking in on you and saw this.  I am sure they will do some extensive ultrasounds on your baby and hopefully all will check out okay.  I went through the same thing as jenstam, with the intestinal blockage (my fluid was normal though) and Hailey had the same surgery for jejunal atresia repair.   I was lucky though because they actually found it on ultrasound at 24 weeks and was followed very closely.  If I were you I would insist that the dr's do a detailed ultrasound scan on your baby if they haven't already.  I am sure everything is fine but hopefully you will just get some reassurance and feel better.  I will keep you and your little one in my thoughts and prayers.  Please keep me informed!!  Send me a note, anytime, if you want to talk.  I'm not on here a lot these days (soooooooooo busy with the twins) but if I see a note from you I'll respond asap.  Hugs to you and belly rubs!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!  My appointment for the ultrasound is set for next Wednesday, Oct 7th.  I'm anxious but glad I'll be with fetal specialists.  I've already seen this specialist once already about my dermoid cyst and I am NOT impressed with their ultrasound machine.  The one at my local hospital is "newer" and more detailed than the one I'll be getting at the 'big fancy hospital'.  Oh well...I hope the specialists knowledge will outweigh a poor quality ultrasound machine!  

I'll keep you posted.  :)
Please do!
I forgot to update my thread!!  I wanted to let everyone know that my appointment was GREAT!  My fluid was back to normal...now only 14cm!  Woo hoo!  They didn't see anything wrong with the baby (other than she already measured 5.5 pounds at only 32 weeks!)  Both the tech and the specialist were confused on why I was sent to them in the first place and had no concerns.  It was a huge relief!  We got some cool 3D pics.  The baby looks sooo much like my daughter as a newborn!  It was eerie and awesome at the same time.  :)

Hopefully no more concerns arise before this little booger (I mean BIG booger!) is born!
WOW! I had my son at 31 weeks, and he weighted 3 lbs 15 oz and I was told he was large for his gestational age!!! You have a big girl coming :-)
a big baby, wonderful news, dear.  please keep me posted
Love, L
btw, I have "boogers" too.  my mom gets mad at me b/c i call them that so much. hehe