Maternal & Child Community
Two-month vaccination concerns and Tylenol question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My lo is scheduled to have her 2-month vaccinations on Wednesday.  They're given in three shots: one a combo of DTaP, Hep B and IPV, one Pneumococcal (Prevnar) and one HIB.  I'm torn between getting them all at once to get the trauma over with or splitting them up to make it easier on her system.  My sister has a painful reaction to tetanus shots, and I've started to have it too, so I'm tempted to get the DTaP first and get it over with and also see if she has a reaction to it.  I'm definitely getting all the vaccinations (her papa has a say in this too, and he's all for them) so please don't tell me horror stories!  I'm just curious whether you got all the shots at once or broke them up... also if there is a particular brand of each vaccination that I should insist upon for mercury content or another reason.  She's not in daycare, and I rarely take her out in public (except to the clinic with sick people coughing on her... what a Catch-22!) so her germ exposure is low at present.  I'll be going back to work at the end of December.
Also, I'm planning on giving her Tylenol beforehand, but the bottle doesn't give a dosage for under 24 lbs.  This is the "Concentrated Liquid Infant Tylenol", and she's about 10 1/4 lbs... could you recommend a dosage?  I'd rather skip calling her doctor about this if possible.
I'm planning on giving her Rescue Remedy and Thuja occidentalis (homeopathy) afterwards to help with the shock and any reaction she might have.  I'm really scared about this!   She's been so brave and barely cried during the repeated heel sticks she had to have for weeks on end, but they kill me.  My friend told me years ago that having a baby is like wearing your heart outside your body, and boy was he right!
well my son was on other meds for his lungs when he had his needles 2 weeks ago...neways i didnt give him any tylenol or anything but after he got his shots the pediatrician gave him the infant cncentrated one and told me to give him 0.5ml 3 hours after the shot so i do not see a prob with 0.5 ml before and about 3 hours later repeat it. my son was awesome he cried when he got the second one but it was a 10 second thing and at home he got a slight fever but that was it he was extremely good so good luck itoo have heard horror stories so i was scared... keep us posted
oh btw my son was 11 1/2 lbs so 0.5 was ok n im sure it is for your daughter as well
DH is a pharmacist and said it's pointless to give tylenol prior to shots. tylenol doesn't work to prevent pain, it just treats what's there. i decided to have her get all on schedule, even though we considered spreading them out. i just got the DTaP and it hurt like a b!tch, but not so much the first day. the second was worse, and the third day was the worst.  after that it got better. for the 2 month round of shots, she did get a low grade temp and was miserable for 4 days, but we didn't do much tylenol. so for the 4 month round we were more aggressive with the tylenol and she did much much better. we started as soon as we got home, and continued every 4 hours the first couple of days. she was just super sleepy for a couple of days.
I just took part in the AVIS study, acetomenophen before vaccinations. I treated my son as recommended by the study and didn't notice any difference between then and previous shots when i had given Tylenol. After I completed the study and sent my materials back, I tasted the remaining contents and figured out it was the placebo.

If you want to give tylenol, call your pharmacist for the correct dose. Never trust dosages given on the Internet, well meaning folks may give you the wrong information.
I broke up the vaccines (2 at each visit).  Didn't want to overload DD.  That's what I'll do with this baby as well.  Good luck.
i've had mine get all at the same time, i actually didn't even know you could ask to have them broken up!  i don't know how young they start, but they might mention a flu shot also.  my dd just got her 6 month shots recently and got a flu shot.  they said for her age it had to be half at a time so in a few weeks i have to take her back to get the other half.

my dd also had to do the heel sticks for her blood sugars...  its awful having to do that!  its was our 1st time going through something like that w/ one of our children and we're pregnant again...  i'm nervous about it happening again.
My son got his 2-month and 4-month shots together, but I spread out his 6-month shots to one every two weeks.  It made me feel better, even though I had no evidence it made my son feel any different.  (LOL)
My DD just got her 2 month shots today! RIght now she is super sleepy but she took them like a champ.I am very anxious about the next few hours to see how she does. I called the doctor about giving tylenol prior and the office advised not too because it could mask a fever. BUt then while we were there the doctor said we could give her some after.

I know this may be a seperate issue but my dd was underweight today. She is only 9lbs 10.5 ounces. She was 7lbs 14 ounces after birth adn lost 10 ounces but gained it back before her 2 week weight check....She had gained 3 inches in length since birth. I am breastfeeding and am now worried. The doc said to give her an extra feeding each day and come back in 2 weeks for a weight check. SHe also said i could pump for 24 hours to count up how many ounces hse's taking and she could estimate how many calories.

She also said my dd seemed mature...which made us laugh bit she said she seemed very alert and active. and she asked me if she moved aorund a lot during the day...of course...my dd barely naps at all. but is a good night sleeper. COuld her activity really result in her not gaining? Wouldn't my dd be letting me know , i.e. screaming, if she wasn't getting enough?

Anyone have any experience with babiesnot gaining???
Pumping won't tell you much as the babies are much more effective at drawing the milk out than any pump. That is an odd request IMO. The fact your baby has grown 3 inches says something. How often are you nursing? At that age mine rarely went more than 1.5 hours between feeds. And mine were huge babies : )
There were times when DD would gain a good amount of weight and some visits she would not.  They go through these spurts when the grow in length and weight a lot.  Good luck.
I hate the shots :(  Hard to go through, I just delayed my DD 6 months shots for two weeks.  She goes on Tuesday the 4th now.  She has a neurology appt on the 3rd and I just want to be certain she is ok before the shots.  She had one, possibly two unexplained seizures so I am just super paranoid about shots.

I recently read the book "what your doctor does not tell you about vaccinations".  Good Book, but scary.  I wish I would have skipped a few chapters but at the end I decided to go through with the shots but only after I am told her seizure (s) were a fluke.  If they were caused by something the DTaP shot is going to be withheld until I talk to a specialist.  I read in that book about seizures being related to that shot.  

In the end I know the shots are what is best for my baby it is just a horrible experience to have to go through it - the actual shot, the side effects, and in rare cases long term illness.

Sorry I was no help at all but at least you are not alone in your worrying :)  Good Luck
I would sincerely think about staying away from the vaccines as they cause autism, SIDS, and permanently affect your child's brain and immune system.
Prove it.
Wow, that is a pretty strong statement...that vaccines cause all of those horrible things.  I too would love to see the proof of that!  If it caused all of those things, and was proven to do so, then obviously the benefits of them would not outweigh the risk.  Are you able to provide us with the source to back up that statement?
I broke Max's shots up. At 2 months he got DTaP and Polio. At 3 months he'll get the HIB. Then at 4 months we'll be doing the next in the 2 month series. My thought is if you give a big "cocktail" of shots at once and they have an allergic reaction....how do you know which vaccine the reaction is to?
Unfortunately the 'proof' can only be recognized by the CDC and they don't do that. In any case, the Congress passed a law (a rider on the Patriot Act, not kidding) that vaccine makers can't be liable for all the damage the thimerosal did in the 1990s to all the children that received the mercury overdoses (this was only uncorrected in the US). So even if that specific damage gets recognized, one is without recourse.  I remember the conflict was quite emotional when that happened. You have to do what you think is best for your child--the more educated you are about it, the better you are going to feel about your decision. Mothering magazine has extensive back issues/publications on the vaccination debate if you really wish to read up on it (available online mothering.org) I'm sure there are a lot of other sources.
To answer your question, chances are a reaction will not occur during the first round of vaccinations anyway as it takes at least one prior exposure to develop the antibodies needed for a reaction. But spacing them isn't a bad idea if it eases your fears. But backing away altogether is what worries me. Especially considering the fact so many of these previously eradicated diseases are cropping up again and those who are most likely to die or be maimed for life are the very young. Seems so silly when prevention exists. If we had a proven vaccination to prevent HIV, wouldn't you get it?
http://www.909shot.com/

when my son died due to a shot given when he was 9 weeks old. i was told by the CDC that " one out of thousands was acceptable."

i have aspergers.  i REMEMBER getting the shot that changed my life.

while i know that there are shots out there.. that saves lives.. there are shots that kill.. you would have to kill me before i ever give any of my children shots.  they are healthy children.  

im not going to deny that vaccination has saved milllions of lives.. however.. they take them away as well. and you need to be informed about your decision before you go through with it.  

tylenol doesnt do a darn thing.

if you are going to give your child the shots.. space them.. 9 weeks old is too small.  such a tiny  immune system.  yeah yeah yeah.. lots of people are going to jump all over me.. spare me. until you watch your son die in your arms from something that could have been avoided .. well. come to me then ok?

i wish you the best.. you are his parents.. you do what you think is right.. we all have our personal decisions to make.  
here is another site.. and its a good one.  i am in no way shape or form trying to freak anyone out.. or cause a "ruckus" as it were.  just information.  i have never been the type to freak out on anyone. or be hateful or mean.  everyone here is their own boss.. and we all can agree to disagree.  lots of things out there can hurt our kids..

http://deathbyvaccination.com/

did you know that the flu shot is now under scrutiny ?? sheesh.. its an epidemic.. i believe that there are certain individuals that are more suceptable to having an adverse reaction to vaccination.. thats why you read.. and due to the fact that they have NO idea WHO is this way.. its just a nightmare..

again.. best of luck. i hope and pray that all is well with everyones kids here.. no matter what choice they make..
take care!