Maternal & Child Community
Ultrasound = no heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Ultrasound = no heartbeat

Hi Ladies,
Just wondering if I could get some help/advice.
2 weeks ago I woke up in the morning and my morning sickness had gone away, my breasts were no longer sore... So i called my Dr. and went for an ultrasound a few days later. At the time of the ultrasound I was 8 weeks 2 days pregnant, they measured the baby to be 6 weeks 3 days, and did not find a heartbeat. It has been a week and a half since my ultrasound and I have not experienced any bleeding or cramping whatsoever. Physically, I feel fine. Emotionally... Well it's been extremely difficult. Everyday I beg for my body to take care of this on it's own, so then I will believe the results. Because I don't want to believe it. The only way I can fall asleep at night is to just pretend for a few minutes that I am still pregnant. My husband is quite worried about me. He doesn't want to see this end surgically, but he indeed wants to see an end. I have left a message with my doctor today to call me so I can discuss my concerns with her. My heart keeps telling me to get another ultrasound... I don't know why. Perhaps to to confirm that there is indeed not a heartbeat. So today I would be 9 weeks 4 days pregnant, my breasts are slightly tender, I have no further nausea, but I'm still extremely fatigued. Any advice? Or anyone who has experienced a similiar situation? and your results?  Thanks for your time ladies!
First, I am so sorry for your situation!  I had a m/c at 6 weeks last month.  It was extremely hard for me to deal with and I am still grieving over it.  I too kept "thinking" I was still pregnant - even after I naturally passed it with bleeding for a week.  Even now, I find myself "thinking" I'm still pregnant.  But, I've taken enough hpt to know that I'm not, and I've even had a/f since then.  It was great that you went ahead and called your Dr.  I'm sure she will be able to help you more.  Good luck and my thoughts are with you!!
Unfortunately most of us know exactly what you are going through.  If you think you want another ultrasound, then get one.  its your baby, your body.

I went in for a routine u/s at 10 weeks 2 days when my baby was diagnosed with no h/b.  I wasnt aware that a miscarriage could occur without cramping or bleeding and since i had neither of those symptoms, i thought they were wrong.  I scheduled my D&C for 1/5.  Before my surgery i explained my doubts to anyone who would listen.  They recommended i get a second ultrasound but my ob was very standoffish about it. (it was her lunchbreak).  SO i got the second ultrasound before my surgery that confirmed, yes, my baby was dead.  I felt so much better.  It was closure for me.  I opted for the D&C because i didnt know how long i would stay pregnant.  My baby measured 9 weeks and i was 10 weeks 2 days.  the u/s tech said my baby had just died.

I still had pregnancy symptoms for 3 weeks after.  I was an emotional wreck and just wanted to move on.
I got my first period after my d&c on 2/17 and i just found out that i am pregnant again!!  It has been 11 weeks since i first miscarried.  I have no other children.  It was very hard.  You will eventually feel much better!! i promise.  

I am sorry for your loss..
Im so sorry for your loss... I did not get a heartbeat at 8 weeks in december. Its devistating and many of us have had this happen in this forum. I chose a d&c because I wanted to get on with it and begin trying again. It can actually be better to have one so that all the tissue is removed, they can check for and abnormalities and there is less chance for infection. Its very personal and you have to do what is right for you. Af was back after 5 weeks which is about average and we are trying again. I know its hard and a painful thing. Good luck to you.
I hate that feeling and am soo sorry. I would def. have another ultrasound. I had a 7 1/2 wk no hb on a Friday and scheduled D&C for Monday. Because my HCG kept rising they couldn't understand. One last ultrasound before the D&C on Monday showed a new sac. I got preggo again before miscarrying. Just to show,,, anything can happen!'
Good luck
I almost cried reading this because I have been in that same situation.
Is it possible your timing is off of ovulation? I went into the ER at 6 wks. pg with cramping and light bleeding...the US showed the baby to be either way younger or not viable. Not knowing what is going on, on the inside is the worst feeling ever.
Dont give up hope yet....turns out everything was fine!!! I was right about ovulation....just a weird fluke. I am a very healthy 23 wks. pg now.
Dont give up hope just yet!!!!
GOOD LUCK to you!!!!!!!
Thats incredible! I had 2 u/s and no hb. had a d&c the next day. Congrats to you! I guess miracles do happen!
well dont worry just yet...sometimes you dont see that hb that early.  my sil didnt see a hb til 15 weeks!!  I hope all is ok!
I would ask for another u/s because you and your husband need to be sure. This is your body and your baby, you should not have any doubts and your doctor should feel the same. I had a m/c just aweek ago, I know how devestating the wait can be. Still very sad but want to try again. Hope everything turns out positive.
WOW! OMG-that is awesome. The other sac wont pose a problem? That is a miracle. How exciting! Isnt is crazy how things work themselves out? Good thing you were patient and didnt have D&C.

We are TTC... Its our 2nd attempt since the m/c.

It was pretty clear that there was no viable signs of life after the 2nd u/s. the fetus had actually begun to shrink I lost all preg. symptoms so for me a d&c was the only option. Believe me if I had thought there was a chance I wouldnt have.

Well,no sex for 9 months! Other than that the perinatologist said it shouldn't hinder this new pregnancy! Baby dust to you!!
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I pray everything is okay. If it's any comfort to you, when my grandma was pregnant with my uncle, she started cramping, and bleeding. They went to the hospital and she was told she had lost the baby. When she went in for her follow up later on, they found a heart beat! She was still pregnant! They're not sure what happened, but she was told she probably miscarried a twin that didn't develop. This was in 1971, so I'm not sure how much they knew back then. But I just want to let you know anything can happen.
I would for sure go to the doctor for another ultrasound. They normally do 2 anyway. Im sorry your going though this. I have seen people who though they were further along than they thought and the baby ended up being just fine. I hope this is the case with you. Good luck! Your in my thoughts & prayers.
Thanks! I am one huge science project. I have gotten 7 ultrasounds and am only 12 wks. Dead sac still there stuck in cervix. Are you preggo or TTC? Good luck on both!
I read your story on another thread, hang in there. That must have been so hard for you. My prayers are with you!!!
UPDATE: Thank you all for your kind words. I spoke with my Doctor and she completely understood my need for a 2nd ultrasound. I will be going on Monday, and if still nothing, then I will plan for a d&c later in the week. I will let you know how things go on Monday.  Kindell
As everyone said, ask for another u/s. There are never any guarntees! My prayers are with you too!!
I wish the best for you!!!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I am feeling extremely frustrated right now and just need to vent. My clinic called and said they could not get me in for a 2nd ultrasound until Thursday - 4 days from today. I was hoping to have the d&c done this week, if the ultrasound still showed no heartbeat, as I've been playing the waiting game for 2 weeks now. I have put my life on hold. I find I don't make plans anymore, I don't want to leave the house, other than to work (I'm a nurse on a busy surgical floor). My doctor also informed me they only do d&c's once a week, and I wouldn't be able to get in until after April 10th. I am going CRAZY! I feel so anxious... and I just wanted some closure. I had mentally prepared myself that this week would be the week, and now I find out I have to wait another 2 weeks to finish everything. I keep trying to hold onto some glimmer of hope that perhaps the ultrasound was too early... but considering they could see the fetal pole they really should have seen the heartbeat too. Anyway I am feeling frustrated with all this waiting and not knowing. I haven't had any cramping, or bleeding... I just don't know what to do with myself.
You poor thing, that is ridiculous.  I am 5-6wks preg, have had some brownish discharge and am worried.  Went to doctors yesterday and they sent me for US lastnight.  Couldn't see a heartbeat, they thought it might be too early...I hope. With cases like yours and mine, we are priority for an US, at least here in Australia.  I would try and push harder, thats crazy.  You poor thing, all you want is confirmation... and whatever needs to be done after that.  Be Strong, and give them a real push...

My thoughts are with you. XXX
HI ALL IAM LIBBY AND IAM 30 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE 4 CHILDREN WHO I HAD A NORMAL PREGNANCY I WAS 3 MTHS PREGNANT (12 WEEKS ) WITH MY 5TH CHILD WHEN OVER NIGHT I SAW A BROWN SPOT IN MY UNDERSWEAR I NEVER HAD IT BEFORE SO I RANG THE HOSPITAL DAYS BEFORE I HAD FELT SOME CRAMPS BUT THOUGHT IT WAS MY BONES AND MUSTLES  GETTING USED TO BEING PREGNANT AGAIN AND THE SAME WAS TOLD TO ME BY THE NURSE ON THE PHONE ,I SPOED WORRYING BUT THE NXT DAY THE BROWN BECAME A PREIOD (period) LIKE RED COLOUR SO I DECIDED TO HAVE A CHECK UP I HAD TO WAIT TILL THE NEXT DAY BUT WHEN I WENT THERE I WAS REASURED AGAIN ALL WAS RIGHT AND HAD A BLOOD TEST THEY CALLED QUANTITATIVE HCG...AND WAS TOLD TO HAVE AN ULTRA SOUND ,I DID THAT THE NEXT DAY WHEN I GOT THERE I COULD HARDLY WALK AS MY BLADDER WAS SO FULL BUT ALL I CARED WAS THE BABY WAS OK,THERE THEY COULD NOT FIND A HEART BEAT ,SO I WAS TOLD THEY HAD TO DO AN INSIDE EXAMINATION SO THEY COULD SEE BETER I AGREED BUT NOTHING COULD BE FOUND .I WAS HEART BROKEN I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO BREAK IT TO MY HUSBAND IT WAS HIS BIRTHDAY OF ALL DAYS .I KEEPED THINKING HOW CAN THEY SAY THERE IS NO HEARTBEAT IS THERE A HEART ?
I THOUGHT MAYBE THAT THE DATES WERE WRONG I WAS SURE OF IT I HADENT MENSTRUATED FOR OVER 1 YEAR SO THE PREGNACY WAS A SURPRISE AND THE DATES OF THE PREGNANCY WAS ALL A GUESS ,BUT NO ONE WOULD TALK TO ME OR EXPLAIN COULD THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG?
I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND SHE SAID THE BLOOD TEST I HAD HAD TOLD HERE THE SAME HOW?
SHE DIENT EXPLAIN I GOT A COPY OF THE REPORT BUT COULD NOT UNDERSTAND THE NUMBERS !
I WAITED FOR A FURTHER 3 DAYS BEFORE GOING TO HOSPITAL TO HAVE A CLEAN UP (ABORTION )OF THE BODY I WAS TOLD I WOULD GET SICK BUT I DID NOT LISTEN .2 DAYS LATER THE BLEEDING GOT WORST I GOT UP TO GO TO THE TOILET AND A BUBBLE OF BLOOD WENT ALL OVER ME FROM BELLOW I THOUGHT AT FIRST MY WATERS BROKE AND I WAS GOING TO HAVE A DEAD BABY BUT INSTEAD I WAS HODING ON TO MY LIFE THERE WAS BLOOD EVERYWHERE ,MY COUCH WAS COVERED THE FLOORS DRIPPING IT WAS A HORROR MOVIE ,HUBBY CALLED THE AMBULANCE THAT TOOK ME THROUGH EMERGENCY AND THERE AFTER 2 HOURS THEY REMOVED MY SO WANTING DAUGHTER.I WENT HOME 2 HOURS LATER ,FOR SOME REASON EVERYONE ACTES AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED ,MY HEART BREAKS DAILY BUT NO ONE CARES HUBBY ACTS AS IF NOTHING HAPPENED ,MY BODY NOW DISCUSTS ME SEX IS NO LONGER EXCITTING ITS LIKE THEY REMOVED PART OF ME .
BUT I STILL FEEL AS IF IAM PREGNANT LIKE ITS ALL A DREAM !
HOW CAN IT BE POSSIBLE ?
MENTALLY IAM DRAINED,AND I STILL WANT A BAY BADLY SOME PEOPEL SAY BE HAPPY YOU HAVE 4 BUT I LOVE BABYS AND BEING A MUM BUT NO ONE CAN UNDERSTAND THAT !
IAM AFFRAID IT WILL AGAIN.
I SAW WHAT A BABY LOOKED LIKE ON THE INTERNET AT THE GESTATION OF 12 WEEKS AS I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE IN REALITY I WANTED TO FINALISE MY PAIN BUT AT THE SIGHT I FOUNF IT WAS BABYS THAT DIED DURING  ABORTIONS AND THE PICTURE I SAW MADE MY BODY SHUTTER.COULD THE DOCTORS HAVE MADE A MISTAKE COULD THEY HAVE SAVED HER?COULD SOMETHING HAVE BEEN DONE ?
I LOOK AT THE ULTRA SOUND DAILY AND WONDER WAS THERE REALLY A HEART  BEAT EVEN A SMALL ONE ?IF ANYONE WHO HAS HAD SIMULAR FEELINGS OR HAPPENING WHO WOULD LIKE TO BECOME FRIENDS AND CHAT PLEASE EMAIL ME .AT ***@**** I WILL ANSWER EVERYONE.
I will pray for you, that when you go for the 2nd ultrasound they see a heartbeat. It may have been to soon... I know this isn't any reassurance, as you will continue to worry regardless. Thank you for your support. I've come to terms with waiting... this allows my body to complete the miscarriage naturally, or it gives the baby a few more days to grow and pump that little heart if it so desires.
I can connect with you... and the pain you are feeling right now. The emptiness, heartbreak, and sadness. I think it's amazing that statistically 1 in 3 pregnancies will end in miscarriage... that's nearly as common, as the common cold... Yet our bodies have yet to perfect a way to physically and emotionally handle such a common ailment. I have clearly had far too much time to think about this. Please know that I will be thinking of you... and if you ever need to talk please don't hestitate to contact me. ***@****
Big Hugs! I am so sorry to hear of the heartwrenching ordeal you have through. I can understand how you feel, when you say that no one seems to understand. It really feels that way... The whole world expects you to just continue living and all you can think about is the life that was lost. I've even had friends say... Would you feel better if we went out and got drunk? It blows my mind at how naive people can be. But just know that you are not alone. From what i've read, there isn't anything that can be done to prevent a miscarriage in the first trimester, even early into the 2nd trimester. As hard as it is to believe it... this was your bodies way of knowing that your child wouldn't have survived. There was absolutely nothing you could have done to stop it. I can sympathize with the heartbreak you are suffering... and I hope you can find strength to cope and continue. The loss you feel for your child will never go away... But I will pray that the pain you feel will start to fade. You're in my thoughts.
I have heard that if you are overweight that you may not be able to hear the baby's heartbeat. My sister-in-law has had 3 children and she wasn't able to hear their heartbeats until they were 5 or 6 month old fetuses. She warned me so that I would not be paranoid since I'm 10 weeks pregnant and overweight myself and spend 50% of my day calling and asking why i wasn't sick this morning or why my breasts don't hurt (or do) Hopefully that's the case. Good luck
To all those who've lost I'd first like to say how sad I am that you are going through this, but want you to know you're not alone. I've also just gone through my second m/c and keep hoping that a) it never really happened b) i was pregnant with a twin that they couldn't see at first or c)i got pregnant again before the m/c and the dr. would see it the week later. well none of the above happened and all i've heard is the hcg is going down the way it's supposed to , which i guess is good b/c that means my body's getting back to normal. I've read a few comments about people finding out they're pregnant with a second pregnancy before they missed the first. can someone please explain in more detail what this means. does it mean you got pregnant before the baby died? can a person bleed out the first pregnancy and still hold on to the second? how soon after the m/c can a dr. see pregnancy - would the #'s keep going down even though pregnant again (b/c of m/c) and then go back up? Even though in reality i know i'm not pregnant now - i still have this glimmer of hope. i would appreciate any insight into this just so i can know more about it - i'm very curious.

thanks so much and i really wish everyone lots of luck with all that they're going through. may everyone experience only smooth sailing and good things from now on.
I found out i was pregnant right after thanksgiving of this year i went for my first ultrasound a few weeks after they told me i was 9 weeks and 1 day after they told me how far i was they looked at me and told me "Their isnt a heart beat" i will never forget those words that day.I was so excited to see the baby and than my world came crashing down all in 5 minutes.They set me up for a d and c that following monday.I  kept thinking well how come i havnt had any bad cramping or bleeding or how come it hasnt came out it self i thought they made a mistake when i went in for the d and c i was so angry i kept saying what did i do wrong this cant be i feel fine and i asked the doc for another ultrasound and of course they said no because of my insurance all they said was "the technician took your ultra sound and indicated their was no fetal heartbeat or movement." When they took me in the surgical room i saw all of the tools and started to cry i couldnt handle myself.Today i still feel as if everything was so unreal but than i see the untrasound photograph and all i can do is hope everything will be ok with the next one.Even though it never got a chance at life i think about it everyday and cry.So i know how you feel i just turned 18 in august and already wnet through this everything ended before it even began.
My husband and I have been looking forward to meeting our first child.  It's so sad to stare at the ultra sound monitor and see our baby not moving.  the doctor said, I don't see any fetal movement and my heart just drop to the floor. No heart beat, no movement and it have not been growing since the last ultra sound.  the fetus should have been 11 weeks, but it stop growing at 8 weeks and 6 days.   Moving forward from the sad news is so difficult when my husband is as sad as I am.  
Wat if ur baby is 31 weeks then the heart stop beating then wat...he had no deformaty or any health prob
I had the exact same thing happen this morning. I am 10 wks but @ my ultrasound today there was no heartbeat & the fetus measured 8 wks 5 days. I don't understand how this could have happened I already have 4 children. I don't kno how to feel but I do kno that I do not want nature to take it's course cause nature has done enough already! I feel everybody pain & wish everyone the best!
My name is Michelle 2 years ago I was 6 and a half month pregnant I went to the doctor to find out what I was having wanted a boy so bad BC I got 2 girls went to see the doctor they let me listen to the baby heartbeat so they said it was walked right across the room layed on the table 4 an ultrasound then she told me it was a boy was very excited 5 min later she got quiet wouldn't tell me the problem she went got the doctor when she came in she looked at it and started crying as she told me my son that I've been waiting on was gone his heartbeat had stoped that was the worst news I had ever had to deal with and the hardest I couldn't believe it and didn't went home with my baby in my belly after relaxing in the tub crying my heart out I went back to the hospital and demanded a second ultrasound they gave me one nothing had changed I then let them induce my labor and pushed out my son who I will never get to enjoy I had to name him he had a beautiful funeral and all I was left with was a DEATH CERTIFICATE now its 2 years later and my heart is still empty really scared bout trying again but looking at all the pregnant women and their newborns makes me wanna fill this empty hole so y'all pray for me I will attempt to do it again I just want a LIVE healthy baby