Maternal & Child Community
Update: Open Forum :)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Update: Open Forum :)

I wanted to update you all on my pregnancy. I had a dr. appointment yesterday and everything went well. I am 15w3d. We listened to the heartbeat. Well we tried to listen to the heartbeat but the baby was moving around so much that it went in and out and there was a lot of static sound due to all of the movement. But it was still cute. He said that from the doppler, it sounded like I have an anterior uterus. I think that is a forward facing uterus. What does that mean though? If any of you gals know..... I scheduled my ultrasound app. for Feb 6. Im so excited!!! A little less than a month and hopefully, I will know what I am having.(If he/she can stay still) Also, I gained 7 pounds. I have a high risk pregnancy, and they are going to start checking my cervix in about eight weeks because of that, but I really want to start working out a little. Not too much. Do you guys think it is okay?
YAY!!!  How exciting!  My 4 month appointment is next Wed too!  I think starting a walking program or swimming regimine is a great idea.  I walked 2 miles Sun and felt great.  Just don't over do it.  

I freaked out last night because I had so much CM it got on my pants!  Has your CM increased?
Hi how..r u.I am doing good and hoep the same from u..I had my appointment last monday and doctor says everything looked good.We were able to hear the heart beat and my dr.was worried because i didnt gain anyweight.Is it necessary that i have to gain weight.I am scheduled for quad test after two weeks.What do they do?I am scared?
Low22 - I havnt really noticed much more CM that usual. Maybe some days, but not on a regular basis.

Neeli - I am not sure what a quad test is axactly. Is it the blood test they do for down syndrome and spina bifida? If so, then I have to go back next week to do that. He wants to make sure to do it in the 16th week. I read on the info sheet that my dr. gave me that you are expected to gain 3 pounds in your first trimester. And 1 pound a week in your last 6 months. I wouldnt be too worried. Did they feel where your uterus is? The top should be a little below your belly button. Im guessing from memory from that one though. Im glad that all is well with you. Are you feeling the baby move yet?
Hi all - I'm responding to the quad test question, because I'm 35 yrs old and am at the point that I either have to have the quad test this week or amnio next.  I have already scheduled amnio but am totally scared and may just do the quad by Friday.  I am 15 wks, too, and my doc said to do the quad this week.  The quad is a simple blood test (though I think they take a few vials!0 that measures many chemicals to determine genetic abnormality probabilities.  It is not a diagnostic test but a screening test that does not catch 15% of Downs Syndrome.  It also has a high false positive rate.  So, if you do it and you test positive, it's likely your baby does NOT have Downs, but your doc will recommend an amnio after that.  The reason I'm thinking amnio, is because a positive could happen and we'd have to do amnio anyway.  Not sure but very excited for everyone and their babes.  Did anyone here have the oppty for amnio and did you do it?
I am afraid of the 1/1600 chance of m/c with the amnio-not necessarily the procedure itself.  My husband is very supportive of what I want to do, which helps.  Thank goodness the odds of m/c have been revised a few weeks ago from the last update from the 70s which had it at 1/200-1/400.  1/1600 is a 0.06% change of m/c.  That's not high at all, but the thought of me being that person in that category is so awful, I'm not sure if I can bear going through with it.  The plus of it is being certain of the genetic issues for which it tests.  Did you do screening?  If not quad, nuchal?  How did it go?
One more thing: when is your due date?  We must be so close!  They have me between 7/2 and 7/4.
My dh and I opted not to have the quad test.  I hope I don't regret that decision.
Are you afraid of the amnio? My sister had it done, she was farther along though. She said it was so fast that it didnt even hurt. I am a big wuss and wouldnt be able to handle it. But I have heard that if it is really clear....they will tell you if you are having a boy or a girl when they do the ultrasound before the amnio. That would be nice. Not to mention that the amnio restults will tell you also.
I have not had any screening yet. I am supposed to go next week. I would be too afraid to do the amnio even with those odds. I had a m/c Sep. 06 and I was told that my chances of miscarring was less than 5%. I fell into that 5%. So no, Im not taking any chances. Why? Just to find out? I would still love the child no matter what the outcome is. My due date is July 1st. My dr. said it was between 7/1 and 7/4 at first then just stuck with my lmp dates. So yes, we are very close. It's nice to meet people who as around the same dates as you. I figure that I will probably deliver around mid-June though. I was induce two weeks early with my son. Finally..... I went into labor about 7 times through out the pregnancy. But they thought that he might be getting to big to come out naturally. So they induced. Im assuming since Im the same size as I was five years ago, that they might do that again. But you never really know.