Maternal & Child Community
Venous Lakes in Placenta, what is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Venous Lakes in Placenta, what is it?

So, sorry I'm posting again, but I'm hoping with a different heading someone might have some input on this.

At my US today, I was told I have several venous lakes in my placenta, which is slow moving blood pools.

He wasn't concerned, so I shouldn't be, but I'm not sure what it is exactly, or if I should be concerned.  My OBG doesn't get in this office until the end of this week.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Avatar n tn
i think i has something like that towards the end of my preg (they didnt tell my the name of it) but i had spots of blood on my placenta. How far along are you?
Avatar n tn
Here's a comment I found at the following weblink:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/BHCV2/bhcarticles.nsf/PanelQuestionsByKey/PE443?Open

...Throughout pregnancy, the placenta goes through a maturation process. The appearance of the placenta on ultrasound thus varies depending on the stage of pregnancy.
A friend of mine had tremendous blood loss during pregnancy for a few weeks and explained that it came from areas behind the placenta. I am not sure if that would be the same condition as yours. As long as no bleeding occurs, all should be safe and well with you. With bleeding, I would see your or any doctor asap and and avoid any strenuous activity. Definitely after your ObGyn`s return have this monitored carefully.