Maternal & Child Community
Very Itchy Breast while nursing HELP!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Very Itchy Breast while nursing HELP!!

Hi Girls!  I haven't been on for awhile- life with 3 is absolutely CRAZY!  I have a crazy question though..My little guy is 9 weeks old and the upper inside of my left breast (not near my nipple) has been very itchy since he was about a week old (I'm exclusively breastfeeding).  It itches to the point of bleeding.  I put aquafor on it and hydrocortisone cream and it cleared up for about a week and now it's back. The skin is almost scaley there and has a different texture. I'm kinda nervous about it- anyone had this happen or should I go to the doc.?  There's no LUMP if I do a self breast exam but it's quite annoying. It's worse when I'm nursing him on that side and then gets better when he's not nursing on that side or if it's not itching, it will be fine when he nurses on the right side but as soon as I switch him and he nurses on that side, it starts itching.  Any thoughts or has anyone had anything similiar to this? He's my third one I've nursed and I've NEVER had this.  Any input would be great! Thanks so much!  
It could be yeast, or some other fungus.  I'd run it by your doc--just have him/her take a look.  If its a fungal infection, the hydrocortosone cream might actually be making it worse.  Its odd its not really near the nipple, where you usually see those things.  

Really, I'd just have it looked at since its been going on for so long, and get something effective for it.  Your doc might be able to tell what it is simply by looking at it.  
ditto to peeks advice
Thanks! I just dread another trip to the doctor.  The thought of it kinda wears me out- especially when it's for me- if it were for the kiddos, I'd be there in a heartbeat but ugh...I'll make an appt. in the AM!  I googled it and all of these breast cancer things came up- kinda freaked me out!

I wouldn't worry a lot about cancer, but as with anything that hangs around for a while, good to get it checked out.

But its probably not that.  
I had that exact thing happen too after my dd was born and my itching made it worse - it was a vicious cycle!  It eventually went away on its own.  Thinking back I really think it had to do with my hormones dropping or just the stretching and releasing of the milk ducts.  Try not to itch them raw and keep putting lotion on!  
I didn't even THINK cancer- I was thinking more rash of some kind but that's why I need to NOT google things,  I'm sure that's not it either but kinda wigged me out when I saw it.  I'm thinking it's more of a skin problem though.  If I just leave it alone, it does OK but once I start itching- it's over...  I just really don't want to go to the doc.  Thanks girls!