Maternal & Child Community
Vicodin and Pregnancy - HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Vicodin and Pregnancy - HELP

Ok, my doctor put me on vicodin to pass a kidney stone, it took almost TWO WEEKS, I tried to only take it when I really needed it but I am sooo worried.  All my doctors have said I am fine and that it is not a problem.  But I dont understand that, how can it not be a problem, they say not to take anything stronger than a Tylenol...this is a lot stronger.  Has anyone been on vicodin when pregnant and did it hurt the baby?
How far along are you?
It haapened during my 10-11th weeks
I have been on many different meds while pregnant most related to a herniated disk in my back. I can tell you from experience that in moderation it is safe. Trust in your doctor as long as they are aware of the pregnancy, they will reference "Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation" which gives the category for all meds and possible effect. You can also access that online : ) by the way, I have a very healthy, active and smart "super baby" who is now 18 months old : )

Andrea
I am a pharmacist and can tell you that Vicodin is safe in pregnancy, but moderation is the key!  Only take if absolutely necesary (and I know that kidney stones are painful).  I have known many pregnant women who have taken Vicodin with no adverse effects on the fetus.
Thank you so much for this info.  My doctor recently put me on vicodin for kidney stones and i was SOOOOO nervous because i am 29 wks pregnant and they say never to take aspirin during pregnancy.  Aspirin is the main ingredient in vicodin, so anyway...moderation is the key huh?  good thing cuz man i hate taking pills, even if they do help the pain.  Thank you again

jessica
I have been on vicodin for awhile due to a bad back and i just recently found out that I am 7 weeks pregnant.  I feel guilty taking it when I have pain.  Is there really no effect on the baby taking it while pregnant? I  have an appointment with my obgyn  but not for another 2 weeks.  I stopped taking it immediately.  I was taking 3 a day.  now Im taking 2 a week.  Is this ok?  are there any side effects?  Is it true that its only harmful if you are dependent? and the baby will go thru withdraw? I get scared and I dont know what to do!!  HELP
I have asked this question myself. I have become somewhat of a pregnant hypochondriac. I was so afraid of any little thing that I ate or or consumed and have practically blown up my doctors phone with questions. My sister was on bedrest for the last three months of her pregnancy, and was given about 2 darvocet every few hours. Her baby was carried full term and very healthy. I have back/neck issues, as well as a couple of possibly cracked ribs from the aggresive (aggressive) kicks of my super baby. I take about 1 vicodin a day (over the last couple of weeks-on my 38th week of pregnancy now) and have been told that is safe. Vicodin is TYLENOL based, which has been shown as safe to the fetus. Moderation is the key. Too much can, of course, have negative effects.However, so is a mother is painful physical distress. Take it as needed and stay in constant communication with your doctors. I am about to pop any day now and have found stretching and meditation to be a positive outlet as well. I wish you the best.
I am 31 weeks pregnant and have recently been put on Vicodin for migraines. I had them before pregnancy and have been lucky up until this point. I am very nervous that I am having to take a pretty high dosage to alleviate my pain or to get it manageable. Does anyone know how long it takes for your body or the babies to get addicted to a narcotic pain killer? That would just kill me if I did that to my first baby. I have always had a strong tolerance to pain medication and am hoping that I am not harming my daughter. I have only been on the medication for 5 days but I have to take 2 7.5/750’s every 4 hours sometimes to get rid of my migraines. Please someone put my mind at ease!  
wow that is a lot! i wonder why you cant be given imitrex? i suffer as well. vicodin doesnt even work as well as a migraine med.  ask the doc about it....you wont have to worry so much then
oh and by the way when i was pregnant, they gave me vicodin too. i had cracked ribs, they said that it was ok to take. i forgot to mention that and didnt want you to think that you are harming your baby. if the doc gave it to you and they know you are preg....then it should be ok. BUT.......i just thin that migraine meds work soooooo much better!!!! good luck sweetie!!
I am also 31 weeks pregnant and have suffered with migraines as well.  I only get them when I am pregnant (it happened with my first pregnancy too). I took vicodin and was so scared my first pregnancy. It took away the excitement because I was scared I was hurting my baby. My son was born with no ill effects. In regards to the imitrex comment my doctor said the drug is too new and he wouldn't give it to a pregnant woman. As long as you take no more vicodin than what is prescribed you should be fine. Good luck!
I feel so much better now that I have read your concerns and comments. I went to the hospital just tonight for and infected and impacted wisdom tooth. The pain is unbearable. The Doc perscribed me Penicilin and Vicodin and I was soooo nervous to take my meds. Now I feel more confident and mabey just mabey I'll be able to sleep tonight! Thank You!
I have a friend who is 8mo pregnant and she takes sometime 4 vicodin a day (400mg) or at least thats what she tells me!  I personally believe she takes more!  Because prior to her pregnancy we did an intervention cuz she was taking a minimal of 10 a day.....she had all the physical symtoms (symptoms) of a withdrawl (withdrawal)..  Can someone tell me what is possibly happening to her unborn child.  At 8 mo the bay only weighs 4lb. 6oz. to me that is scary.  Oh yeah and she smokes a pack a day!
I just found out I am 5 weeks pregnant and I have been on Xanax for anxiety, anti-inflamatory med voltaren and vicodin for pain due to 4 buldging disks in my spine...I am worried my baby may have defects caused by these medicines as I have been taking them daily....any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you
So, I've read all these recent comments and I'm currently on vicodin and have been for years because of 5 back surgies, etc... I take only what I'm suppose to on a daily basis and I never take more usually less on good days.  I might be preganant as I type this... I'll know with a quick trip to the store.  What to do now??  I'm pretty good w/ my pain (believe it or not) most of my doc's can't believe I function on such low doses of vicodin.  But I'm in pain even on the vicodin --- super worried right now!
We all keep asking questions but none of us are getting any answers.  So, I am going to give an update on my use of Vicodin and pregnancy...... I don't recommend unless in severe pain, and only if it is prescribed to you by your Dr.  I am 6 months pregnant and have been taking it.  Do not take in first trimester due to circulatory problems it can cause with the development in your baby.  I take no more than 2 a day!  You must take in moderation and no one has an answer to what  moderation is so this is my moderation and my Dr. said it was fine!  I have had an ultrasound every month on my routine checkup and the baby is developing fine.  Everything looks good.  My baby is as healthy as we can see.  I do not recommend that by my comment any one base there use of Vicodin.  Everyone is different and if you are addicted you must seek help from you Dr.  Make sure you talk to your Dr. about it... they wont judge you.  I was very concerned about this and have done lots of research and lots of talking to my Dr.  ( I have a bad back) So far, I am healthy and so is my baby.  Please remember that everyone is different and develops differently.  Again, do not base my story on your use of Vicodin just dont be stupid about it!
I am 15 weeks pregnant.  I too have a bad back (disk degeneration) and suffer daily.  Before pregnancy I was taking 750 mg 4 x's a day.  Now, on really bad days I take 1 or 2 tablets.  And like all of you, I worry so much about harming my baby.  But, I feel the benefit of being out of pain is important.  We all have to function in our lives and take care of other children and ourselves.  I honestly feel that if vicodin were THAT bad our doctors couldn't and wouldn't put it in the hands of pregnant women!  We just have to be smart about it.  It is amazing to me that we ALL have the same concerns about our unborn children.  We're asking ourselves the same questions.  I already have a 2 year old and as it goes, guilt and motherhood go hand in hand.   Good luck to all of you and thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one with these issues.  
Vicodin is a perfectly safe drug during pregnany... AS LONG AS ITS TAKEN HOW YOUR DR PRESCRIBES IT!!! do NOT make your self suffer in pain ladies. Its totally safe. You can take up to 8 of the 5/500 vicodins. If thats how its prescribed. most Dr's prescribe one every 4-6 hours. Please dont be afraid to take your meds. Please. If theres not a healthy mother.. who is feelin ok during the pregnancy.. there will NOT be a healthy baby. You have to take care of your own body.. your own pain. Its not recomended to take high doses during the end of your pregnancy... meaning the last couple weeks... but any other time... including the first couple weeks of being pregnant is fine.

If your currently addicted to pain killers.. and your afraid to talk to your Dr.. please reconsider. You cant put your body.. and baby thru withdrawls because of the risk of miscarraige (miscarriage). Your Dr will never tell anyone that your addicted first of all.. just you and him/her will know.. second.. think of your baby. Your dr can put you on safe medications to ease your addiction... not make you withdrawl (withdrawal)... and something thats safe for your child. GET UP THE COURAGE TO TELL SOMEONE!!! If you think thats the hardest thing that you will do... then motherhood is not for you!!!

If you think that you may be addicted... or when your not taking your pain meds.. you start to feel weak, dizzy, irratable, your sweating more, hot and cold flashes, night sweats, you dont want to do anything.. your just not feeling well (or a combination of a couple of these symptoms) please talk to your doctor right away. You may have a physical dependance to the drug. This is nothing that you have done wrong. Your body has just gotten used to the medicine. The symptoms above are considered withdrawling.

Now, the information above is not to be substituted for your Dr advice or opinion.. please talk to your Dr about ANY questions, or problems you may have.

I hope this article helps!!
Ladies,I can tell you, in some strange way these articles are releaving,I just found out I am 5weeks pregnant w our third child,what a blessing of course...my challenge is a just has a cervical bioposy,ouch and I have three bulding discs all lower back,and 2days after aggresive (aggressive) test I was late....i'm shocked &so concerned abt all.I get results on test next wed.&am hoping its not cancer.I have been on medication for 2years because chronic pain.Im scared if all goes well &pregnancy is viable that my ob doctor is gonna think me crazy,when i approch him about meds,my internal medine Dr. is the one treating my back problems,Are you contining care w/both doctors? Best of wishes to all healthy mommies & babies!!   J..
I am currently taking darvocet, i have read all of the comments about vicodin, i dont take it. but i am 12 weeks pregnant with our third child, I am really nrevous about the side effects of darvocet, I have had back surgeries and i just recently hernieted my lower discs again, i take about 3-4 650mg a day, and i too suffer from migraines, but dr said that darvocet should do it for me, but i still have some headaches just not as mad and often. what else should i be doing?
O.K. Ladies, here is my results.... I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy 9 lb. baby girl March 13, 2008 and she is perfectly healthy.  I took Vicodin for my pain the whole pregnancy but only in moderation.  Tell yr dr.  if you have an addiction problem, they wont judge you.  I took 3 5/500 mg a day as prescribed only for pain and my baby came out fine.  I to was concerned and scared, I did alot of research to make sure it was ok but the truth is ... you never know if it is ok to take medications while pregnant.  I am a firm believer that if its meant to be, it will be.  God has a plan for all of us.  So if you need to take it, take it.  Its better than a pregnancy with pain and that will cause stress on the baby.  So my out come is, a perfect baby. but please, do not base my story on the use or Abuse of pain medication while pregnant.  I am now a happy, still in pain, mom... good luck
hey CHICKS- im 38 weeks pregnant and have migraines- ive been taking about 2 vic a day, if needed- since its so close to my due date, can my baby have withdrawals when shes born?? did yours?? please help, im sooo worried, thanx!
Ive been on vicodin es 7.5/750 2xs a day.........found out Im 4 weeks pregnant.  None of my Drs are getting back to me, the one I really need is the one who prescribed the Vicodin...........I will be out tonight!!!!!!!!  Ive taken it for 7months........never went past 2, but my body is still dependent on it after that long.

Sadly, no one in my GP's office/Gyne office (because Im not their patient yet)/pain management will tell me what will be best.  THey won't even tell me if withdrawls will hurt the baby.

So luckily I am ONLY 4 weeks, so Im praying that it is still protected from all of this and I will be off cold turkey tomorrow!  He/She will be in gods hands now...........I take it for Fibromyalgia, and it is a prescribed for this condition..........so I know "mentally" Im not doing anything wrong....but emotionally Im beating myself up about this because I didnt plan this pregnancy and now I feel Im hurting the baby.
I am 26 and suffer from trigeminal neuralgia, an excruciating nerve disease.  I would like to have children SOON, but am in such severe pain that I know I will have to take the vicodin while pregnant.  This disease has no cure and I don't know if there are any other meds other than vicodin that will help.
I just wanted to say congratulations!!!!! and thanks so much for coming back here to post your outcome.  It really helped me to read your story as I am about 3 weeks past conception (5 weeks pregnant?) and I've been taking vicodin this whole time for Crohn's pain and a horrible neck issue.  Only 1 a day all days but one, when I had to take 3, the pain was so bad.  I will disclose this to my OB when I see him of course and I hope all is well... I am also weaning myself down off Wellbutrin SR.
Hi everyone. I am 9 weeks pregnant. This will be my 3rd child. I was in a bad car accident when I was 9 months pregnant with my 2nd child. I've been taking vicodin on a regular basis for years now because my back is a permanent mess. Without the pain meds, my quality of life is zero. I cannot stand on my own, walk, or even turn over without help. The vicodin has been a godsend to me.

However, I had my 1st appointment today and the obgyn made me feel like a drug addict who was intentionally harming my unborn child by basically telling me that taking vicodin is a choice, not a need. This is not a choice. That's like saying ppl can either "choose" to have a stroke or take their blood pressure meds. She will not prescribe them for me and said if I don't agree that I can find another doctor.

I do want to find a new doctor but where do I find an obgyn who is understanding that I had a pre-existing chronic pain condition that doesn't just go away because I got pregnant. Is there a list somewhere? Silly question, I know. But how do I go about finding someone. I'm so lost and almost feel guilty now for getting pregnant in the 1st place. She made me feel like I did something wrong knowing the meds I was taking and then I'd have the nerve to go and get pregnant.

If anyone knows how I can find an understanding and helpful doc, please let me know. I live in Tucson Az if that helps at all. Thanks so much for anyone who can help me with this. This was supposed to be an exciting day and I instead haven't stopped cryng since I left her office.
  Stephanie
First off, thanks Chicks1 for coming back and posting your outcome. That has relieved a lot of stress for me as I have had back surgery and herniated 2 discs since then. I am now 26 weeks prego today. I've been taking vicodin since 1998 off and on, but during this whole pregnancy I have. I cut down once I found out to 1 1/2 5/500 to 2 a day. My doctor said it's safe, moderation is key. And I eat well with it and drink lots of water. But not a day goes by worrying about harming my baby boy. I just pray to God that he will be ok. I've done a lot of research and everything comes back as safe, doctor says its safe, and now Chicks1 says she gave birth recently to a perfect baby, thank God.

Steffani, change doctors! Some doctors are very strict, and that's just not right for you. You need a doctor that will be understanding to your past medical history. Just keep meeting different OBGYN's until you find the right fit. Just because this one is strict doesn't mean they all are. Mine is very good and understanding, and she prescribes me 30 5/500 a month. I cut one in half and take with each meal to help the pain. If I'm traveling I will take a whole one. I hope this helps and don't let any doctor make you feel bad, you're not alone! p.s. I live in Austin and don't know any docs in Tuscon. Also, I joined Massage Envy or Massage Heights and get a low monthly rate and get massages once to twice a month, prenatal massage. They help out a lot too...

Fats
Hey ladies!!!!  Just a heads up, my baby is now 5 months old and perfectly healthy with now problems!  I encourage u all to be honest with yr dr. and most importantly  with yourselves!  I did take 3 vic 5/500 a day during my whole pregnancy and I was very scared.  Just dont abuse em.  I am so blessed to have s healthy and beautiful baby!  So, keep yr head up and know that your not beeing selfish by taking pain medicine during yr pregnancy... its best to not have the stress of beeing in pain.  good luck with you all and stay strong!
I have been on vicodin for 8 yrs now and I am 38 wks pregnant. I take 7 to 10 a day cause I am addicted. I have tried several times to get myself off them but I only last 2 days cause the withdrawls are so bad. I am so worried about my baby cause I know she might not be healthly . I have 2 children already and I was on notthing and the both came out perfect and I feel like such a bad mother already durning this pregency. I am going into rehab after my baby is born cause I cant keep living like this, but I cant get off them right now. I have only gained 12lbs and I am 38 wks. My doctor said every pregency is different but 12lbs is not alot. My baby moves all the time and has a good heart beat. Please if anyone knows anything about this please write.
This doctor seems very judgemental.  She is not experiencing your pain, so she has no right (doctor, or not) to say that taking it is a choice.  Ask her if she recomends numbing medication if you were to have a C-section, or if she thinks that's a choice, as well.  There are plenty of doctors out there that would be much more sympathetic to your need.
What is the mg./strength of the 7 - 10 that you take daily?  Do you eat w/ them?  Also, are you overweight, underweight, normal?  This is important as a 100 lb. woman taking 10 1000mg. pills would be a lot different than a 200 lb. woman taking 7 500mg. pills & eating normally.  I'm 33 weeks and have only gained 13 lbs. so far.  My last son was over 9 lbs.  (I'm fairly petite and gained a little over 20 lbs. in my last pregnancy).  Are you at least showing?  I would be more concerned about if you're measuring to date when your doc. checks you.  If you're measuring extremely smaller than you should, then I would be concerned.  Listen, you only have 2 weeks left, so eat as healthy as you can - the last few weeks are important, as the baby can gain up to a lb. or more in the last weeks.  

I would think that trying to taper off of these while breastfeeding would be best.  This way, the baby isn't going to go through withdrawls and neither are you.
hi im a drs wife and now 5 weeks preg i was given vicidion and valium by my infertility dr for cramps and pain after ivf procedure..ALL drs have a different outlook on this cartagorie drug.. each drug has a catogory it goes in from ok to bad a-d catogories viciodion in a c catogory look it up on
labor of love .com
it is addicting it it also addicting for the baby... i was preg 10 weeks and decided to go cold turkey in rehab i was taking10 a day i went through rehab fine..thought i had did the right thing the counslers in reb and my dr said decrease your amount DONT GO COLD TURKEY TOOOOO MUCH STRESS ON YOUR BODY AND THE BABY at 12 weeks i lost the baby the strss of withdrawls is what they feel caused it..i wish i would have cut  back did it slow instead of being a super mom i now will listen to my dr and take as needed and slow down b4 delivery so the bb has few problems listening to everyones experiences is comforting sastics seem so un emontional...look up other sites some by drs and reaserch they may be more informative i will keep posting too as i go to my ivf dr and he knows what im on and how much he is one of the best in the nation.. valium was given so that the embryo could implant my i was having cramping after the procedure and no longer tke that it is a cat d drug VERY BAD but the vic as he said seems to b ok in testing in moderation but as a prior addict most people arent always honest how many they take be true to urself and ur baby tell ur dr and if they dont help calll another..peace to everyone ur babay feels all your emotion and stress is very bad...
it would be nice to here your outcome for those that are still preggers how bout an update on those babies and progress with needed meds and births lots of questions here on the board but not many anwsers...

thx to all who do chicks 1 cool of u to anwser back!!!!!
I agree with drswife that there needs to be more updates from the ladies who had their babies.  I would love to hear their birth stories, how they are now, and how their babies are doing.  We are considering having our third baby and I take 1-2 750mg vicodin a day.  i was in a horrible car accident 4 years ago and broke 16 bones including my back and feet.  I am worried about the extra weight gain and stress on my back and body with another pregnancy.  i am worried about taking the vicodin just like all the other mothers.  My doctor said it is safe for me, but I don't want to feel guilty every time i take a pill.  i also get migraines and am worried they will get worse during pregnancy and I take Fioricet for them now and that works, but it is on the class C category also.  Any other stories will help.  Thanks.
I had to pass a kidney stone when I was about 6-months preg. and I was in the hospital getting their pain meds in an IV and they waited for me to pass it. I can't believe they would put you on vicodin, thats a little weird...but I'm not a doctor, I' am just going based on  being told to only take Tylenol, and I' am sure Vicodin is quite stronger.
Well, I just had my baby boy last week, and he's totally healthy scoring a very high Apgar test, very alert, making observations and already smiling! I was taking half a pill 3-4 times a day WITH A MEAL AND PLENTY OF WATER. So like 1 1/2 - 2 pills a day. If I was travelling then maybe 3. I had back surgery in 1998, herniated 2 more discs in 2006, and had sciatica the last month. But I still wouldn't budge more than 2/day. I was taking Norco's 500/375.

Before I was pregnant I was taking 3 EX/day for past 10 years. But when I found out I was pregnant I stopped completely and was taking Tylenol 5-6 times a day, which my doc said it was worse, so thats when she prescribed me the Norco's.

My advice to y'all is not to take more than 3 a day of the lowest dose, and deal with any left over pain, take baths, stretch, meditate. 3 is plenty, and if I could do it with all of those problems mentioned above, you can do it too. You get use to it. Also, don't stress about it, but don't take more than you absolutely need. God Bless you all and I pray you have healthy babies!
This is so embarrassing but due to mental health issues and some serious family issues going on I recently became very depressed and took 8 750s.  I am 21 weeks and terrified of the damage I may have done to my baby.  I am scared to talk to my doctor and am hoping someone can give me some advice.
I have read many stories about women who have taken Vicodin while being pregnant.  But I have not seen where anyone has taken percocet.  I taken Topamax for migraines, have been on it about 5 years now.  I had debilitating migraines, and one day had a seizure.  The doctor realized at that point how bad things were and put me on Topamax to stop seizures (only had 1 more about 2 years later due to running out and waiting for it to arrive thru my insurance-mail order, very dumb on my part), and to relieve the migraines.  However, it does not totally erase them but merely makes it so they dont frequent me as often through the month, but he also told me to take the percocet when I get them and take it the moment I feel it coming on, otherwise I am bed ridden, and when  they have gotten too severe to take a valium and go to bed in the dark.  We tried Vicodin but it did not work, but at least I do not need shots for my migraines now.  I am VERY worried though that I am about 3 weeks past conception having taking pain killers, and even the Topamax.  I have 2 children already and would never even let someone smoke around me during my previous pregnancies.  Any suggestions?
I really don't have an actual answer for you....I googled "Vicodin and pregnancy" because I may be pregnant (I hope!) and I'm on vic 750 every 4 hrs for back pain (bulging disks, car accident in 06 I hit a deer.)  I have taken percocet for this, and it doesn't feel very different from Vicodin. It has helped me tremendously to read these blogs, so I suggest you google "percocet and pregnancy" and you might find a similar blog.
I wish I could help you more! Best of luck to you, and I hope you feel better!
I just want to thank everyone who took the time to comment about taking Vicadin while they were pregnant.  I'm 6 months pregnant with Rhuematoid Arthritis.  I started taking vicadin long before I became pregnant (along with other medications for my arthritis) and was told by my Rhuematologist and my OBGYN that I could only continue my vicadin during my pregnancy.  I take 3 pills a day (500mg), 1 every 6 hours,  but I have been worried sick, that I'm harming my baby even though my Dr.'s have assured me it's okay.  If I didn't take them I wouldn't be able to function each day because I have arthritis in almost every joint in my body.  After reading all your comments I feel so relieved to know their are others out there and your baby's have turned out fine.
I am a relatively healthy 23 year old with chronic back pain. I've dealt with bulging & herniated disks for over 3 years now (due to a work injury) & have been on pretty much every kind of pain medication & muscle relaxant available. I'm not a surgery case (fortunately or unfortunately, whichever way you look at it), so rely on the pain meds to keep me functioning throughout the day. Since the injury was sustained at work and is a worker's comp case, I have been unable to convince the insurance company to allow me chiropractor or accupuncture visits, which I belive would help greatly. I was told that if I sought out help on my own dime & the work comp insurance found out, they would cut off my medical award. (I'm back at work, but they are paying for all my medical stuff- doctors, medications, etc.) My pain is so severe that I went from being on Vicodin to Percocet to Oxycodone to Methadona to Morphone within a little over a year. I just kept building resistance to the medications. When I would run out, I didn't even have withdrawal symptoms, just excruciating pain in my lower back, sometimes sciatica. To make a long story short, I recently had a scare in the hospital when I needed pain medication & the doctors gave me three HEAVY doses of Dilauded (spelling?) and it didn't help at all. I told my doctor to wean me down off the Morphine (I was taking 30mg every 4 hours, sometimes 60mg). With determination, I was able to force myself onto the Vicodin in a month (doctor told me it would take 3 - 9) but have been unable to wean myself any lower. I also went cold turkey off the muscle relaxants. As I said before, when I try to wean off the Vicodin or go cold turkey, I don't get withdrawal symptoms, just severe (SEVERE) pain. My pain management doctor prescribes me the Norco 10/350, one to two pills every four to six hours. I try to take as little as possible, but cannot even get out of bed, walk, stand, etc. without it. Now, to make matters worse, I took a home pregnancy test and it came up positive. I'm scared. Not only did my husband recently lose his job (yay California...), but we agreed to wait to have children until my back improved & I could get off the medication. My sister just had a beautiful baby girl & her doctor wouldn't let her take anything other than Tylenol, even for her migranes (migraines). It gives me hope to read the posts from these women about healthy babies, but if moderation is the key, there goes my baby's health. I deal pretty well with pain, but my back is so bad that if I don't take the medication when I feel I need it, I'm reduced to a heap of tears and agony. I hardly ever take two at a time, but cutting the pill in half doesn't work for me- it has to be the full dose. I'd really like to hear some accounts of women who went through what I'm about to go through, and how their children fared. And, what does it mean when they say the baby will go through withdrawals? That they'll be uncomfortable for a few days, that they will be unhealthy, that they'll need special treatment...??? And if the baby does go through withdrawals, what needs to be done to ensure their health? Should they be breastfed if the mother is still taking the medication or is bottle feeding better for them? I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, or experiences. Thank you!
~*~Aimie~*~
Hello Amy,
Talk to your OBGYN about your medications, but if the medications they're prescribing aren't helping your pain then I would immediately discuss that with your general practioner or the Dr. that had prescribed the medication to you prior to becoming pregnant.  
I had that problem, and my rheumatologist worked with my OBGYN on my doses of Vicadin.  My Rheumatologist said sometimes OBGYN's are not always used to working with patients with chronic pain.
Regarding your newborn having withdrawls right after delivery, that is true,  but they can give the baby a shot to help him/her.
Personally, I'm going to try to wean myself down on my vicadin before my due date, which my dr. knows about.
My OBGYN also wrote me a script to meet with the Hospitals critical care Dr's. so I can talk to them about my condition and breif them on my medications and history, so they're prepared for me and the baby when I deliver.  Therefore if the baby needs a shot or has complications they are prepared.
I don't think you can breastfeed if you're taking medications, I know I'll be going on aggressive doses of medications for my Rhuematoid and I was told I have to bottle feed.  Ask your OBGYN, she'll let you know.

Good Luck, I hope this helped a little.
Mrs. Steele
Hey everybody. Too much misinformation here. I have been prescribed various painkillers for years, and I know whereof I speak here.
1. Vicodin is not aspirin OR acetominophen(tylenol) based. It is Opiate-based. The poppy plant produces morphine and codiene, and from codiene is Vicodin derived. Opiate pain killers attach to opiate receptors in our brians, and pain is reduced. Vicodin is COMBINED with acetominophen, an analgesic, to enhance the pain-killing effects. It is the codiene derivative in Vicodin that makes people feel "high". Aspirin should not be taken during pregnancy because of the blood clotting issues, but acetominophen is OK.
2. Opiates are considered safe during pregnancy, when taken in moderation and only when deemed necessary by a doctor. When taken for an extended period or too near to delivery, the baby can experience nasty withdrawal symptoms. If you have ever experienced this yourself, you will presumably want to prevent this from happening to your baby. Which brings me to:
3. If you have been taking vicodin, or any opiate-based or narcotic pain reliever and find out you are pregnant, DO NOT suddenly stop taking your meds. While taking the pills is not the all-around best thing for a fetus, opiate withdrawal can cause miscarriage or spontaneous abortion, especially in the first trimester. CALL YOUR DOCTOR and he will determine if the benefits of taking the drug outweighs the potential risks, and if not, will safely taper you off the medication in order to minimize withdrawal and adverse efffects on the baby. Often withdrawal is much more dangerous for a fetus than continuing to take the meds.
By the way, if a baby is born with a dependence on opiates, a morphine taper will be given to the baby. It is awful to put a newborn through, but it is not damaging in the long term to the baby. However, if you were abusing opiates and did not inform your doctor, you MAY face legal repercussions, i.e. the baby may be placed in foster care, and you may face prosecution. Not great.
P.S. I just found out I am seven weeks pregnant. Because I have such extensive experience with Vicodin(and all opiates)  I put myself on a super short taper (four days) and have been clean for four days. I don't feel great, but my withdrawals have been limited to mild anxiety and insomnia. I hope this helps, please don't listen to the numskulls who insist that you cold-turkey stop all meds the minute you find out your are expecting. Remember, withdrawals, when severe, are bad for you and potentially deadly to baby. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR, this is a serious matter. Good luck, odds are that you and your baby will be just fine :)
im 31 weeks pregnant.  i have been on and off percocet and vicodin sence the birth of my son 3yrs ago.  i have severe lower back pain and migraines.  the docs put me on the meds and i take between 0-30mg a day and tha is it.  they all have told me that the baby will be fine but to use next to nothing the last few weeks just to be safe.  im havin a second csection so they will be puttin me back on them anyways.  if i didnt take these meds i would be throwin up severly due to my migraines and not able to get outta bed.  moderation is key
I also suffer from severe pain from a bulging disc in my lumbar and another in my cervical vertibrae.  I also have severe TMJ and a partially severed tendon in my right hand.  I was taking 3 5/500 vicodin's a day before getting pregnant and I am 5 weeks now.  I have weened down to 2 a day but I take them in halves with food and lots of water.  My ob wants me off the vicodin in 2 weeks.  I'm worried that I'm never going to sleep again because of the pain!  My ob knows nothing of my pre-existing conditions and I feel she has judged me without even looking at my medical records from my general practitioner.  I would be happy if the ob would let me have just one vicodin a day considering my issues with pain.  I used to take 10 advil a day and it had my stomach a mess.  My GP prescribed me the vicodin around 3 years ago to help manage my pain and I don't have to pay the rediculous price for Nexium anymore.  (no insurance)  Just like everyone else I am terrified that I have hurt my baby!  I'm a 200 lb woman who eats well and drinks lots of water.  I just pray that my baby is safe.  I feel like a bad mother already! =(  
i am curently 13 weeks pregnant
Hi everyone. Writing this as a follow up post partum. I was taking vicodin during my entire pregnancy, save the last 3wks due to severe migraines. I gave birth to my daughter a couple weeks ago, and she scored all 9s and 10s on her apgar at birth. She was a week overdue, and only weighed 6lbs at birth, but i also smoked during my pregnancy. (horrible, i know...) but she is extremely healthy and alert, and very beautiful, and im not saying that out of parental predjudice btw... lol on my worst days i took 1500, 3 doses at 500 through day. Dont be afraid of your medication if given to you by your obgyn. But do remember, it IS a narcotic, and you need to respect the limitations set by your provider. Drink plenty of fluids, and when you can, deal with your pain holistic if u can. When not working i used to throw icepacks on my head and nap instead of taking the vicodin when i could. But my daughter is awesome, and has no birth defects, if this helps ease any concerns.
I would just like to share my story to hopefully help someone, last year i got pregnant around june i was taking vicodin and tramadol not together but depending on the pain if it was really bad i would take 2 vics if not too bad i would take 2 tramadols. I found out i was preg. When i was 6 wks along i figured i would wing myself off inmediately but unfortunately it was too late, on my first ultrasound at 7 wks my doc said their appeared to be something wrong with the babys head so j needed a stage 2 ultrasound whitch confirmed that my baby had a condition called acrania where the babys skull had not developed at all i was refered to UCSF hospital in the bay area but unfortunately no one gave me any hope that my baby would make it i have a perfect health history as well as my husband so im positive that it was the pills that caused it. Then by october at 16 wks my baby died inside of me... Just be very carefull what u put in ur mouth and dont assume everything will be fine
I just wanted to let you know its not asprin its acetaminophen like in tylenol
So Vicodin is considered a class B medication which means they have discovered no concrete evidence of it effecting the fetus withdraw symptoms are actually much more stressful on the baby I'm not saying 10 a day is a good idea that's just bad for anyone because that amount of Tylenol can cause severe damage to internal organs the low weight of the baby is more than likely attributed the the fact that she smokes so much the combination of Tylenol overdose and lack of proper oxygen circulation to the fetus can cause much more than low birth weight.  The maximum dose of Vicodin per day is 8 if they have 500mg of Tylenol which is the norm the max dose of Tylenol is 4000mg per day and that should be closely monitored due to the effect on the liver and kidneys of both your friend and her developing baby
how did your baby come out after birth taking pain meds?im scared to im addicted to norco i got about 5 weeks left of my pregnancy.please help im soo worryied:(
I'm sorry for your loss, but it wasn't the vidicon, but the tramadol.  Tramadol has the same molecular structure as antidepressants like Effexor.  It is wrong that doctors prescribe this without telling anyone this.  Antidepressants cause miscarriages and more due to the hormonal adjustments in your brain which hinder the normal fluctuations of hormones made for your baby's development.  This is why you see so many lawsuits for people who were told it was safe to take antidepressants then had dysfunctions in pregnancy and birth.  Opiates like vidicon are not nearly as bad because they don't affect that part of your brain.  It is unfortunate they prescribe tramadol and call it safe pain medication when it has antidepressants stung through it.  We really have to watch out for ourselves.
Sweetheart vicodin contains hydrocodone and acetaminaphine(tylenol). Vicodin contains NO  asprin. Stay away from aspirin honey, It is dangerous. I am sure you just got mixed up, but I wanted to make sure someone told you this. Congrats! <3
jessica vicodin has tylenol not aspirin sweetie. do avoid the aspirin :)
I'm 10 weeks, with a tore quad/ hamstring... When I found out I was pregnant I stopped taking the Vicodin.. At my first ob appointment I told her I was taking the Vicodin and that I stopped when i found out, but the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep... She reinsured me that it was safe to take... I still didn't take it after that because I don't want to be a bad mother and harm my baby or give the baby any issues.. At my second ob appointment she told me I looked very tired and if I been sleeping .. I told her no due to the pain in my leg , she asked me why I didn't take the Vicodin and In tears I told her I don't want to hurt my baby.. She told me I was doing worst by being in pain then taking it. So now I took a half of one a week when the pain is unbearable... I still feel as I'm already failing as a parent:(