Maternal & Child Community
Waiting for Miscarriage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Waiting for Miscarriage

I was 8 weeks pregnant when I was diagnosed with a missed miscarriage on March 3 and have been waiting to miscarry naturally ever since. I have had no bleeding at all and am worried about why it seems to be taking so long. I'm trying to avoid having a D&C but am not sure whether I should just go ahead with one now. I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks.
Avatar n tn
I had a missed misscarriage 2 yrs ago.  I tried waiting,  however if your feeling crampy with fever and chills you need to notify your dr.Your body just may not beable to expell the pregnancy and an infection can develop. wish you well and sorry for your loss!
Avatar n tn
You will have to excuse my ignorinse but what exactly is a "missed mischarage"?
Avatar n tn
A missed miscarriage or missed abortion is when you body doesn't think that you miscarried so instead of expelling the gestational sac and the fetus, the gestational sac continues growing at the same or slower rate if the fetus was still there.  Your body may have absorbed the fetus materials back into the lining but for some reason the sac continues to grow.  Usually the doctor or the medical practioner that you are seeing will do many ultrasounds and many blood test to confirm and make sure that the sac is empty and there is no fetus that is growing.  Then the medical practioner will usually ask you what direction you want to take.  If you body doesn't expel the lining and the sac within a month or two, they might ask you if you want to do a D&C, which scrapes the lining in your uterus.  It helps your body to start you ovulating and your cycle again.  In rare cases I have heard that the D&C didn't work and you will have to go with the direction of your doctor and you choose.  Do what you feel is right by YOUR body.  You might not always feel like you can control you body but you know what you feel is right for yourself.  Do you have any more questions dear?
Avatar n tn
a misscarraige may take up to 4 weeks, it depends on how high your hormone levels are....