Maternal & Child Community
Weaning and weight gain/loss
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Weaning and weight gain/loss

I'm curious to know how many of you lost weight after you weaned your baby and how many gained? Brody and I are down to nursing only once a day at night. I don't think this will last long though. My milk supply has dwindled to pretty much nothing. It's more for comfort than anything. He gets a bottle at bedtime, too. I've noticed that I have probably put on 3 or 4 pounds in the last week or two, which I am NOT happy with. I heard from many friends and women that they didn't lose all of their baby weight until they weaned. What have your experiences been?
Related Discussions
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
Thought I might add that he is 11 months this week and was exclusively breastfed for 9 months, which was when he started having his first occasional formula bottles.
Blank
159354_tn?1286371288
Well, I thought I lost weight since weaning Jake a month ago however a little 6 yr old at Abby's school just announced last week that Abby's mommy has another baby in her belly....LOL

So I guess I've gained weight!
Blank
118074_tn?1228332603
I've lost weight after weaning.  Just a few more lbs.  I lost a total of 10 additional but not sure if it's all because of nursing.  After weaning, your body no longer needs to store extra fat for your baby.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
i've been slowly gaining back since i weaned. at first i tried to blame it on snacking along with her as she learns to try new foods, but i don't think that's it.
Blank
oh deanne!! kids are so funny.  ive been going up and down a few pounds because since my sweet hubby came home we eat ****!!
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
UGH...guess I'm going to have to start exercising now. I hate to!
Blank
I hate exercising too... but unfortunately, once my milk dried up, the pounds came back on... all almost 15 of them!  I now gain as much as I did almost full term  :(  Sadness.  Anyway, those extra 500 some calories milk burns sure helped!  It is now my motivator because when I was pumping I was about 15 lbs lighter than before I got pregnant.  Want to get back there....  :)  
Blank
I am so sad to hear that many gain after weaning (sniff sniff).  My sister said she couldn't lose while bfing and had to quit to lose any of her baby weight.  I was hoping the same would happen here.  Guess maybe I should start watching what I eat now before weaning occurs (so long donuts!! lol)!
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
It depends on the person. I've been reading up on it. Some people hold onto maternal fat stores and some don't as much. I don't think I did as much. I'm noticing a difference since being almost done breastfeeding. Still nursing the once or twice at night, but that's it. Waaa!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...