Maternal & Child Community
What is a favorable cervix?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What is a favorable cervix?

Doctor told me last night i had a favorable cervix when i went to get checked and she said that was a great sign. What exactly does it mean though? She also said that my cervix is not "long" anymore, what the heck does that mean? I have tried to look this up on the internet and seems there is no much so any help would be great.
Before you actually go into labor your cervix starts to change so that labor can occur.  It's normally long (I think about 1" or so) and as your due date approaches it starts to get shorter and softer so that it can dialate for labor.  If you have a favorable cervix it means that these changes are happening.  You're softer and possibly starting to dialate and it's getting shorter.  Possibly you can find some diagrams on the internet that illustrate the shortening of the cervix.

Hope this helps!!  Your time is quickly approaching!
A more common term for this is effacing. When your cervix is effacing it means it is getting softer and shorter. It goes from 0% effaced (long and hard) to 100% effaced (soft and nonexistent). If your cervix is changing that is good depending on the fact that you are 37 weeks or more. You will probably also begin to dialate soon, which is another good thing. Yours is considered favorable becuase it is doign it on its own without the need of medical intervention. Whereas some women need help in the effacing and dilation of the cervix. Like me I am 39 weeks and am only 50% effaced and have been since 35 weeks, and no dialation whatsoever. Depending on my 40 week appoitnment next week, we might discuss a scheduled c-section, not induction just becuase baby has not moved down at all.
Well thanks so much, yes im already 3cm's dialted and now favorable...thanks so much