Maternal & Child Community
What is your ideal number of children?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

What is your ideal number of children?

I am just wondering how many children you have or would have if you could choose the "ideal" number for your family?
3%
 (2) 
1 is wonderful
33%
 (22) 
2 is perfect
25%
 (17) 
3 is amazing
19%
 (13) 
4 fits with our family
6%
 (4) 
5 is fantastic
10%
 (7) 
6 or more (I love a big family!)
1%
 (1) 
I want what the Duggars have! (18 and counting!)
66 Members voted
you know I always wanted just one.... up until I had Maddie... then I thought hmmmm ok! I can have two.... and just recently when I saw all my friends here having chitlins after the age of 35 and 40... I thought HECK! i'll have 3 (if God allows me to) in no time! I could probably do on more closer to Maddie and then wait till closer to 40 (i know risky... but I would like to have 3...!) and have a tiny brother/sister for my girl and the other one! ;)
Then again... can we afford them??? probably not... lol
cars are designed for 3 but I want four now that I had 3 girls haha... still want that boy... don't know if I can convince dh...
i want 4 little ones... that just seems like the ideal number for me.. i had 2 brothers so my mom had 3 kids and i loved having siblings so I want aubree to have siblings and at least one sister... so 4 maybe even 5 .. we will just have to see
I'm shooting for 4, I started real early so I'm 30 on #3, So I will have one 14,9, and newborn, LOL I think I might be able to squeeze one more in if god allows!
Lol, okay I was the one who voted "I want what the Duggars have!"
However...
I must emphasize that I seriously doubt I'll ever have 18 or more children! The reason I marked this, actually, is because I've heard the Duggar's philosophy is that "If God wills it, then we'll have as many children as he gives us."
I really don't know how many children I want, but I do know I want more than just the one I have now. I want to biologically have more, and also, I want to adopt if I and future husband ever have that opportunity. I've known from a very young age that adopting a child or children is something on which I have my heart set, because I want to give a child or children a family that they would otherwise never have.
But like I said, I also want to biologically have more children as well. So that's why I marked the "Duggar choice," lol. I don't know how many children I want to have, but I do want more children.
Just not 18 or more. I think I'll set my limit under 10 to be on the safe side. ;-)
Our house is built ideally for 2, but I think I can squeeze 4 ha ha ha.... I have a 2 year old and an almost 8 mo old. I think that I would like 4 too. I just don't think 3 would complete us. We have a boy and a girl now and would love to have more! I'd better get on the stick, times a tickin.....
I had four  (who are now pre-teen and teenage children) but after I got divorced and remarried a few years ago and my DH didn't have any children (and I always wanted more anyway!)  we decided to TTC. We had our DD last year. We still feel like "someone" is missing from the equation, so we are thinking about TTC the sixth (and last) child. We haven't ruled out adoption either should we be led in that direction...so we'll see.
For me I always thought 1 was enough but once I had Quinn and fell in love with being a Mommy I decided 2 would be perfect. Activley ttc baby #2 right now. Once we are blessed with another then it is snip-snip for DH.  :)
We have room for one more ;) That'll make six if we do. Still thinking about it. I had my fifth child 8 years after my fourth daughter. Now, we are realizing it would probably be beneficial for him to have a full sibling playmate because it will be no time before his sisters will be gone and it will be just the three of us. Not that that is bad, but we think he would enjoy having a sibling closer to his age. We will see. I'm 35 and it isn't in the plans yet...my age scares me a bit!
I am in the same boat with wanting my DD to have a playmate close to her age..by the time she is 8, all of her brothers will be in university/college..so it might be nice for her to have someone to play with and talk to.
Same here, I have 3 already, almost 19 yr old DD, 11 yr old DS and Brayden who is 8 months. We would like to have another one too close to his age. Still in the "making".
I voted 6!!!  (but I only got 2)....  

2s good!  Too late for any more, so now my 2 have started on the next gen...  
hey patty I have a question for ya.. i see you have two kids that are older.. how does that work out with brayden?  i was talking to dh about when to have more kids and we want to have another one close to aubrees age.. we are gonna ttc starting in may.. but then i want to take a break for maybe 5 to 7 years... and then have two more close together.. dh doesn't think thats a good idea.. he doesn't think aubree and the 2nd one will be close with the other two.. can you shed some insight for me please = D
Well- In my experience, I had my kids too far apart (not by choice except for Brayden- with a different father). When I had my daughter (Melissa), I wanted to have another one close to her age but we couldn't conceive due to unexplained fertility. Life was pretty boring for my daughter at home... Then one day I got pregnant out of the blue. YAY Had my son (Andrew).. my daughter who was 7 at the time HATED HIM!! Did not want anything to do with him and it didn't end any time too soon. She thought he was more of a pain then enjoyable..and picked on him CONSTANTLY.. reason why I have gray hair..lol BRAT! hehe Then when I met Scott and we had Brayden, my daughter who is now 18 and my son now 11, LOVE Brayden to pieces!  However, my daughter is now out of the house and I have Andrew 11 (which she never "played" with him to begin with). and Brayden who is 8 months. Not much of "play buddies". Sure Brayden will play with Andrew, but peek a boo is as far as it goes...lol  Once again, pretty boring for Andrew. We live out in the boonies, where there is no other children close to his age.

I definitely do not want Brayden to have to go through that or another baby we may have. So we would like to have them close. It's almost like they get used to being the youngest and used to the happenings going on in the family and aren't at all used to a baby by any means. I know Andrew said one time while I was driving and Brayden was screaming in the backseat "I love my brother, and I wouldn't trade him for the world but I wish he didn't cry because it's too loud and I can't ever calm him down". Bless his heart! Least he was honest!
so are u guys ttc right now? to give brayden a sibling? see we want to start ttc again in may and hopefully fall pregnant by august that way aubree and the new baby would be about17 months apart.. so they can be playmates... but then i want to take a break and kind of focus on the two little ones and my career.. and then have two more close together.. = D.. thats the plan anyway who knows if it will happen.. life throws too many curve balls to ever know
i voted 3 even though i have one and one on the way and thats all i will have. It is dangerous for me to be pregnant so im calling it quits after #2, but i always wanted 3, ALWAYS. Maybe we will adopt later in life.
My kids are 4 yrs apart.  When my son was born he cried the entire 1st year of his life.
When he was about 6 wks old my daughter told us to send him back and get one that didn't cry.
We are "toying" with the idea...lol
I always thought 4 was perfect..but more recently found out that I am expecting again so I opted for 6 lol...just in case. :)

Pretty positive this pregnancy will be my last.
ONE IS PERFECT!!!!!!  (WE HAVE 3!)    
JUST KIDDING...wouldn't change a thing.  I can't imagine life without my babies...MY DH and I always thought we would stop at 2, because that would be all we could handle...until S U R P R I S E ! ! !! !  hahahaha....
2 is it for me!  i got the boy.  i got the girl.  now im finished.  next comes the dog and cat!
i have a 10 yr old boy and a 13 month girl.  you would think it was perfect buti want addison to have a sibling near her age and honestly i just feel another would make our family complete.  dh is scared, doesnt think we can afford it, scared lol.  i have gall bladder issues right now so maybe when that is resolved we will talk about it again.
I originally never wanted kids....!! However, here is what has been decided lol. Ashtyn is 18 months old. I will have UP TO 3 children. If I do not have a girl by the time I have 3 kids, then it was not meant to be. However, if my 2nd one is a girl, I will not have any more (I say that now, but I am sure I wont stick to it lol). You might wonder why I set a limit on how many kids I will have in the hopes of getting a girl. My aunt has given birth to 7 children......with 4 boys in a row!!! She was hoping for a girl, and just kept having them!!!! Her oldest is a girl (that she had at 15), and then her next 2 were both girls! I could never do that to myself over the sex of a child! I want a girl, but if it is not in the cards, there is nothing I can do to change it!!!!
My ideal number when I was planning our family was 2.  Well, I'm expecting number 4.  LOL  I voted for four because I wouldn't change one thing about having more kids :)  I could of put (18+ kids) but I really want to enjoy the kids I have now :)  So I think hubby and I are done...but seriously, kids are AWESOME and wouldn't change them for the world.... :)

Timmy (4)
Abby and Ashes(2 year old twins)
Myra (Due in 3 weeks)
i only ever wanted 2. i wanted one girl one boy but....i've got two wonderful little boys. i couldn't be happier...and dh agrees. baby makin is done this way. lol
my ideal number of children is zero.  I've never even been pregnant but have had sex.
I should have added zero to the poll!
i love kids so much they are the best thing ever and my hubby loves them even more. we are married for 4 years now and have a  lil girl (she is nearly 3) and we being ttc for 5 months now, my ideal no of kids will be 6 (3 girls 3 byos) lol but hubby's ideal no is 18+ LOL hahaha
Two is more than enough for us!!!  I always wanted to have two and g-d blessed us with a girl and a boy.  I'm very greatful for what I have!
I picked 3 kids!! I thought one was enough LOL and was ok with that for a LONG time(DD is 9).... then I met my DH and he had a 2 year old... I was like WOW ok I remember this and was blessed to have another added without giving birth again LOL BUT there was such a BIG age difference between the 2 (DD is 9 and Step Daughter is 3) and I am currently 31 weeks Pregnant with my 2 natural or 3rd counting my lovely step daughter! I think 3 is great altho sometimes i wish i would have had my two closer together
I want three I want to bare two of my own a boy/girl of course then I want to adopt a third one and give them a loving home with siblings to play with... :)
I wrote 5  but would love to have another.  I'm too old though.  There's 15 year gap between nos. 4 and 5 due to 2nd marriage, blah, blah, blah.  I can't even believe that we went for having a baby together!

It would be nice for No-No to have a sibling closer to his age but he does have 4 doting brother and sisters.  Because they're older - the oldest being 24 - they'll probably make me a grandparent & Noah will get to have a child close(r) to his age.

I wish I'd have joined in this conversation sooner - I always miss conversing w/you, Patty!  And V too - ugghhh.
well personally i would love to have 4...who knows maybe one day...it would be nice to have a "REAL" family...Right now DS is my family
I would LOVE a big family. 6 or more sounds good :).