Maternal & Child Community
When should I take maternity leave

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

When should I take maternity leave

When is a good time to take maternity leave?  I am due in March ad am starting to think about what would be a good time.  I am having a pregnancy that so far has no complications.  it is my first pregnancy and I know many women work until they are due but I am thinking that I might give myself some time before the baby is due. I am due March 27 and I am thinking of taking off sometime in early March.
Has anyone taken it ealier?
Has anyone worked up until the due date?
What are your feelings on the subject?
With my son, I had planned to work up until the day and I did.  So with my DD I thought I'd take some time off before.

With my DD I had a similar experience to a few of you.  She was due July 10th.  I had planned to take off on June 26th.  I  worked on Friday June 16th and my water broke the next day, had my baby Sunday June 18th 3 weeks before my due date.  You can never tell.  They come when they wanna!  

As far as maternity leave, for me it was about money.  You get so much before and so much after.  You want to maximize your benefits.  I tried to shoot for 2 weeks before.
I plan on working until my C-section (March 6th).  So my last day will probably be March 5th.  Unless this little guy decides to come early.  With my 1st DS I worked until the end.  I worked on a Friday and my water broke Monday morning at 5AM.  Some people chose to take maternity leave early and some dont.  Its all in what your employer allows and what you wanna do.  me, I would rather have the time off after the baby is born as opposed to before.  I get up to 12 weeks off where I work.  but I only plan on taking like 9 weeks.
With DD I worked until I had her and I plan to do the same with this one.  I work for a private Law firm and I am the first to take maturnity leave so they are not sure on how much time I will be allowed.  I want to take all of my time with the baby instead of having to cut my time with it short because I left work to early ( if my health permits)
I am due jan 19th and am only working till christmas!!  But I also have a job that I'm on my feet so its getting hard on me - you might want to wait and see how you feel in feb?
My feelings on the subject are that we should all get paid leave automatically for 6 months :)  But that is in a dream world.  I am stopping on my due date and taking 14 weeks.  It will be unpaid but I have planned ahead.
I have heard a lot of people take off 2 wks before their due date.  I am thinking I will go right up to mine (I say that now):)  My work allows me 12 weeks.  I think I want to use all of mine when the baby actually gets here, so I can spend as much time as possible with him/her before I have to come back to work.
There's no right or wrong.

I worked right up until I delivered.  I finished work like normal on Friday and delivered on Sunday.  As long as you feel good, there's no reason you can't work.  It sure beats sitting around home twiddling your thumbs.  I do work in an office though, I felt good, and had no complications.
My feeling on this subject is that you can never be sure when you have the baby...I was due on October 14th and was planning on working until the last week of September and taking off two week before my due date.  Guess what?  I had my baby three weeks before my due date so I worked on Friday, September 22nd, on Saturday night, Sept 23 my water broke and Sunday morning we had our baby girl in our arms.  I wish I had some time off though b/c I didn't get enough rest/sleep...I believe that you need some time to get ready and lots of rest :):)
This is my second child. I worked with #1 till the day I delivered no problem. I will be working with this one till the day I deliver as well, but since my EDD is Jan. 9th, I will have a break from work from Dec. 22 til Jan. 2nd. Who knows, I may not even make it back to work, but I will be working from home for 2 months, so I really do not care! So the answear to your question is, as long as you have plenty of time to stay home with your newborn, take off from work whenever you need to. The other think to consider...the last few weeks of pregnancy go quiet slow and work may keep you busy...that is what I like! Have no idea how I got to 35 weeks so fast!
I am surprised to know in the U.S. or your state you have only 12 weeks paid maternity leave? or am I missing something here? I am in Canada, your northern neighbor. I can take up to 52 weeks paid maternity leave. I guess I am living in a dream world without knowing it :). I am thinking if I should take it all or only part of it. because maternity leave has a maximum pay per week.
Yeah, that would definitely be tough walking up 5 flights of stairs!  It sure would keep you active and in shape though.  Working helped keep my mind occupied and made the time go by faster.  :-)  My water broke too.
With both of my boys I worked until the day I had them.  Mine where always scheduled inductions.  So I would go home after work and the next morning go to the hospital.  I had two very uneventful pg's.  I work in car sales and sometimes we have to move vehicles around a lot or it is very slow--so as long as your job permits you to keep working later in your pg, I would.  Especially I am the insurance carrier--needed to keep all my benfits in place for the whole time.
I worked up until the day before I was induced with my first and I plan on working as long as I can with this one (I am due January 31st) I have heard from so many people that stop working like 2 weeks before their supposed due date and end up being late, so they are miserable and bored waiting.
i have two jobs-i work at a daycare-which i plan on leaving in middle of jan and my other job where i have good benefits till my due date of possible-i get 6 weeks paid from there so i want to be with my baby as long as i can-i feel great now so i think i can do it(: baby is due march 1
With my last pregnancy, I worked until the morning my water broke. As a teacher, this worked the best for me since I am able to use sick leave and I wanted to pay myself until summer vacation officially started. With this one, I will take a couple of months off at the beginning of the school year.
With my first pregnancy, I took off two weeks before my due date, mainly because I was optimistically thinking I'd have him early.  That wasn't the case but I was so glad I took that extra time to relax and get everything ready, because you don't have time to do anything once the baby's born.  I highly recommend taking off a little early and catching up on your sleep, you won't be sorry you did.
Same here...Worked on Friday, had the baby on Sunday.  But I work in a school that has 5 floors...I thought I was going to die when I had to walk up to the 5th floor in my last month but I believe that it also helped me stay in shape :)
Actually it is even worse then what you wrote.  I did some research on it and although I forget the exact number of counties something like 150 countries have paid maternity leave and the US is NOT one of them.  My 12 weeks are UNPAID!  I am taking off and not getting a paycheck for 12 weeks.  We planned ahead and put money away for those 12 weeks but it is still sad that this country does not have it.  52 weeks is AWESOME!  Give you time to bond with your baby.  I am lucky to have both grandmothers offer to babysit so I will not have to worry but still it sure does Stink.
My job forces me to leave 30 days before you give birth.  It's the stupidest thing in the world.  I'd rather have that time with my baby than before.  But, I shouldn't complain.  I get 8 weeks maternity and then up to 10 weeks for disability.  I plan on taking a total of 5 months off.  I'd love to take forever, but we'd miss my salary too much.  Oh well.  I can dream.  Good luck with your baby!!  

Angela