Maternal & Child Community
Will my boyfriends cocaine use affect my pregnancy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I lost a pregnancy at 12 weeks earlier this year, but Im ready to try again with my long term boyfriend, because we've been ready to start a family together for over a year now. But this past weekend, he went to a friend's bachelor party, and apparently ended up getting drunk and also doing a little cocaine. He not normally a drug user at all, although he does drink fairly regularly, he's not an alcoholic, just a few drinks every day, a little more on weekends. Pretty normal for both his family and mine.

Question is: could his one time use of cocaine at a bachelor party affect his sperm in a way that would harm our chances of getting pregnant?   To be clear: I've never used cocaine, and dont use drugs like that, only things I have a prescription for, and of course, virtually no medications at all when trying to concieve (conceive). The only thing bad I do is smoke cigarettes, which Ive tried to cut back on, because Ive been diganosed with severe adult asthma and borderline emphesyma. Its not as bad as it was when I first got diagnosed, when I was having constant pnemonia (pneumonia) or other infections, and Ive been clear of infections all this winter. I talked to my Dr about it, and he said as long as I monitor my blood pressure very carefully and try to quit smoking, that I should be otherwise healthy enough to try to get pregnant.

Any thoughts about my boyfriends cocaine use this one time and any possible impact on pregnancy, if were not planning on trying again until my cycle next month? He was very apologetic and swore he didnt mean to, but was just under pressure from the guys at the bachelor party, which I really sympathize with and understand, and I believe him that he wont use it again. Thanks
Since he doesn't use all the time, I think you guys will be just fine. Keep doing what you're doing. Good luck!
I see some red flags to the baby plan that maybe are more important than you are giving them credit for being.  Not that they can't be handled, but I would at least be actively discussing and addressing them.  Boyfriend not husband.  Caving in to peers.  Taking coke.  Drinking a few drinks a day.  Smoking with borderline emphysema and severe asthma.  Trying to get pregnant when still a smoker.  I realize that you will say that if you wait for all of those things to be fixed, you feel like you will never have a baby, but that is a lot of things.