Maternal & Child Community
afrin nasal spray
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

afrin nasal spray

Well ever since I have become preggo I have had a very congested nose and have been using afrin nasal spray. Now I am becoming worried I am going to have to use it the whole time while I am preggo and by then I'll be hooked on it. The only reason I started using it is because our Dr.'s at the hospital have given in to pregnant women before. Does anyone else have this problem and what can I do about it. Oh, by the way, saline spray DOES NOT HELP!!
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Be VERY careful with Afrin.  My dh actually got addicted to it.  I still make fun of him for it.  I won't let him near the stuff now though.  The doctor prescribed Flonase in its place.  Maybe you could see if that is safe for you -- it is not addictive.
Blank
Yes, it is addictive.  It will lead to increased stuffiness (rebound effect).

You can taper yourself off.  Start using it one nostril at a time (such as right nostril in the morning, left at night etc) for a few days.  Then alternate nostrils once a day for a few days.  Then you might be able to stop.  This way, you won't be left with a completely blocked nose.  You will always have one nostril you can breathe thru.  

Put your saline spray in the fridge, too.  The chilled solution will temporarily shrink your nasal passages.  

Ask your doctor about other things you might be able to use.  
Blank
honestly that was my ultimate worst pregnancy symptom!!!  I had bottles of afrin all over because I would lose them, buy more, then they would reappear.  My dh told me your nose gets addicted to it and he wanted me to stop, but, it was worth it to me to be able to breathe and not just at night, but throughout the day too!  good luck to you!
Blank
Afrin canbe very addictive... speaking from experience. The way I got off of it was to survive without it for a week. it will feel like you can't breath for the 1st couple of days when you stop using it at first. Trust me... the feeling goes away. You just have to stick with not using it for about a week the all of a sudden you feel like you can breath again. That is the only way I got off of it. I was using it for straight 3 months and was staring to think I needed nasal surgery because I was always congested.

Hope it works for you.
Blank
148691_tn?1260198503
I agree with all above!!! I was adicted to it also but i lasted for a year! then the b***h was getting off of it! my gosh! was that ever hard! I couldn't breathe for the longest time and felt i was choking at night! it was horrible, in a desperate attempt one time i even squeezed fresh lemon in my nostrils!!! can you imagine how desperate i was??? well, then, throw those bottles away and just go to your doc. ;))
Ever since i don't use that, i cant breathe correctly at night, i have to use bands across my nose or hold my cheeks to separate my nostrils...sounds attractive doesn't it???? lol!!!
Good luck to you
Blank
148691_tn?1260198503
lol!!! did i just posted to myself!!???? LOL
Sorry girls!!! just had a brain fart here......;)
Blank
I'm 36 weeks pregnant and omg, I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one who is suffering with severe nasal congestion! I began using afrin a couple of weeks ago when I caught a cold & encoutered nasal blockages. It works so well compared to the recommended saline sprays. This is the worst pregnancy symptom I've encountered. I would rather take nausea in its place! Good luck to all who is going through it.
Blank
Also, Vicks Vapor Inhaler worked great for me in place of afrin, but as always, ask ur doctor prior to using it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...