Maternal & Child Community
after baby is born how soon do you get your period...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how soon after you have a baby do you get your period. my son was born on the 11 of june and he is a little over a month old. i bleed for 2 1/2 weeks after he was born and then got like a yellow discharge and then about 4days ago i started bleeding black blood and now its black and red is this my period starting now it is alot to. i am breast feeding also. any adivce on this would help..
ksanden
i know that your period will go back at six week, and you can bleed from day one untill the six week. if you were clean before this bleeeding you have right now then it is your period, if the bleeding was come and go during this month then it is not and i think you have to wait untill after 6 weeks.
i hope this helped you.
i still havent gotten my period.. and Zane is 3 and a half months.. FAR from 6 weeks.. I however.. am breastfeeding.. are you breastfeeding  or formula feeding?? i know that its normal to not have a period for some time.. with all my children. it was different...
my last pregnancy I still didn't get period back after 7 months and I wanted to get preggo so they gave me a 10 day pill of provera and it came back full force

this time it has been just over two months BUT I have gunk in my uterus they want to clean out so they gave me provera to get it out and I still didn't have a period (that is supposed to make it happen)
Both times I breastfed part time and got my period just before 10 weeks.  I bled after my last baby for almost the full 6 weeks, stopped just before my check up.  I had a few weeks off then got it.  I am also back on the pill and it started right on thime with the pack, that could be why I got it so soon, but I have had 2 periods now and my little one is 3 1/2 months.  They have been regular.  Anyway, it may be your period, or could be that you still had some blood in there since it sounds like you had some old blood.  See how long it lasts, I bet it's still pp bleeding, mine was funny like that, I would have a day off here and there a couple times, but when I got my period Iwas miserable.  I cramped and was nauseous for days before and it was heavy when it came on.  Lots of bloating and cramping and clots.  
i had my baby the beginning of may and i have not got my period yet an it is the beginning of july is that normal? and i breast fed for the first 2 weeks than switched to formula...
My baby boy is 4 months old now, and I am exclusively breastfeeding him.  I am also on the mini pill (on my 3rd pack now).  Have had no bleeding except a tiny bit of spotting 5 days after starting the pill.  I am wondering also when my period will return... I've heard it can be 6 months or longer before it returns in bfing women.