Maternal & Child Community
babies heart rate has jumped... even though hes not active..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

ok I have went back and did a lot of reading about heart rates.. but i still cannot find an answer to this..

every day i have checked my ds's heart rate... and its always been about 130's...140's.. well this am i checked it.. and he wasnt really moving around.. and it was 160's.. it has kinda got me worried.. i have never tracked his heart rate going that fast.. is there anything i should worry about?? i dont want to go searching for answers that might catapult my anxiety .. i am just worried that something might be wrong.. since his heart rate has always been much lower... does this mean he is gearing up to be born? i thought that babies heart rate LOWERS as they get nearer to delivery.. while he IS moving.. i am still worried about the highter heart rate.. can this mean infection? stress??  i feel really stupid.. but.. still worrying..

does anyone know about fetal heart rates going UP?? Im not talking about the kind that goes up with movement of the baby.. just getting higher and higher..

baby dust to everyone..

thankyou!
I really am beginning to think all the testing expectant mothers have available to them is  very counterproductive.  

A higher heart rate in a fetus (160 isn't above a healthy level) doesn't indicate a fetus in distress.  Low heartrates indicate that.

Your baby is fine.  
160 is still in the normal range for fetal heart rate.  Dont worry... even if he is not active, other factors affect the heart rate... remember, he is "attached" to you.. he can feel your stress, anything you eat, drink, etc. affects his heart rate.  

Again, 160 is still normal.  Dont worry.
it is absolutely normal for the heart rate to go up and down. it is actually a good thing. that is a sign of fetal well being. normal baseline for fetal heart rate is 120-160 and an acceleration can go up to the 180's or higher before returning to baseline. sometimes you can't feel every move your baby makes. take a breath and relax. enjoy your pregnancy.
while a low heart rate can indicate fetal distress... so can a high heart rate indicate fetal distress..
namely.. tachacardia..

while i value your opinion.. i also must say.. that throughout my entire pregnancy.. during the times that I personally.. AND my doctor checked the babies heart rate.. it has NEVER been over 150.  

I am so thankful.. that we pregant mothers of today have the modern implements to be able to "check on" our babies inside the womb.. thus allowing us to prevent a possible tragedy.

yes .. i could always use the adage .. if its meant to be. its meant to be.. however.. i cannot.. i know a few women that have saved their baies lives.. through the use of modern implementation.  

so upon inquiring to this wonderful and informative group of caring and intelligent women .. i have to say.. that while the worry i carried for the day concerning my sons heartrate was quite frustrating.... but ALSO..  worth the time.. and the time it took to ask this forum..

I thankyou.. for your opinion regarding modern day tools for pregnant women.. while i am sure that it has caused alot of worry ... I am also sure that it has saved more lives.. than any worried mother.. can count.

I am so very glad that we live in a country where we can all  agree.. to disagree.
it is not considered fetal tachycardia unless the baseline remains above 160's for over 10 minutes without a return to baseline. and even over 10 minutes can be considered a prolonged acceleration. if you want to get deep into it you would need to have consistent monitoring for atleast an hour to see the whole picture. if your doctor is concerned, you will be sent to the OB unit for a non stress test.
ok i wasnt saying my baby has fetal tachacardia.. although it is something i am sure all pregnant women are concerned about.. ( ok i think we are all concerned with everything..lol

what i was trying to say was that there are times when a high rate can be considered dangerous as well.. and that was why i was concerned about my sons heart rate..

i have been checking my sons heart rate throughout the day.. and it has been in the 160's.. and sometimes above.. i see the doc on wednesday.. and i did put a call into him.. he asked me how i was feeling.. about contractions.. and.. if i was running a temp.. so every other hour.. i have to check that as well.. because it can indicate the baby having an infection..

i want to say thankyou to everyone who repsonded to my post... i appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions.. baby dust to all!and THANKYOu for the info!!