Maternal & Child Community
baby growing but gestational sac not

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

baby growing but gestational sac not

I went for my 4th U/S yesterday and they told me that my baby is growing fine, heartbeat 160 saw the placenta umbilical cord, baby, limbs, spine, when the tech was finished she asked me to wait so the radiologist could look over the info. Radiologist came in and asked me to pick up the phone my Ob needed to talk to me. He told me my baby was growing fine (should be 9 weeks was measuring 8 weeks 5 days) however my gestational sac was not growing (only measuring 6 weeks) and that he would call me on Monday to discuss my options but I would likly miscarry before that.The baby also had a cyst on it head. I have had no bleeding or cramping. Has anyone had this and it turned out okay?
Your baby itself is growing well, everything looks fine (except for the cyst), heart rate is fine...and your doctor thinks you will miscarry before Monday?  2 days from now?  

I'd have to insist on a face to face meeting with the doctor to go over everything in person before making any decisions at all.
I'd be sure to get all questions answered by your own physician, rather than relying on our lay opinions here.

I hope everything works out for you.  Please let us know what you find out.

I'd get a second opinion, if it was your OB who told you the stuff on the phone.  And by second opinion, I don't mean on the internet, I mean another OB, who cares enough to come into the room when you are having an ultrasound, or at least to talk to you face to face.  That was disgraceful, what the doctor did.
Thank you for you help. I did go today 11/25 for another ultrasound and the heart stopped beating, so I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow and the ob said they should be able to run pathology on the tissue and hopefully find out what went wrong.
I'm so sorry to hear it.  I hope you find it is just "one of those things" and will not be at any risk of recurring.

If it is not common practice in your clinic for all the doctors to deal only with patients by telephone, I would ask to be assigned to someone else who gives more of a darn.  I couldn't believe that any doctor would give bad news by phone.