Maternal & Child Community
breaking the bedtime bottle...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

breaking the bedtime bottle...

the twins have gotten into the bad habit (completely my fault) of falling asleep with their bottles. it's the only way we've been able to get them to go to bed without them wailing for an hour. i always check on them after about a half an hour when i know they're sound asleep to move the bottles so they're not still sucking....but i really want to break them of this before the rest of their teeth come in.

any suggestions?
give them a paci??  
I gradually weaned mine by giving a sippy cup and then after doing that for awhile, having them take a little drink from their sippy cups before laying down. Don't know if that will help or not.
What we do near bedtime is give our boy a bottle of milk/formula or else a lot of food, right before bed.  We then brush teeth, and then he goes down.  If he asks for a bottle, he gets a bottle of water, at that point.  (My niece's son needed three thousand dollars worth of dental work by the time he was 2 1/2 because of night eating.  No way we are going there.)  

My son is settled to this routine by now, since it comes on top of a full stomach, and with a lot of snuggles, etc.  I think the sucking is what puts him to sleep, not what he is drinking.  

Later in the night, much later (like, if he wakes up at 4 am crying for a bottle) I will give him a bottle of his milk/formula mix.  If he goes back to sleep with it in his mouth, I take it out and watch to see that he has swallowed any pooled formula.  I am willing to give him formula & milk at night because 4 am seems like morning to me anyway, and only because his dental appointments so far have been fine.  

I did it this way because I needed to wean him from the breast before he was ready to stop, and the bottle was a substitute.  (I didn't have the heart to take him off all comfort sucking at night in one fell swoop.)  Since going on this regime, he has gradually reduced the amount he wants to drink in the night, definitely wants the bottle of water, but is drinking only half the formula in the later night feedings than he used to drink.

I don't recommend late night formula feedings even though I do them, but the rest of it -- feeding right before bed, then brushing teeth, then giving water, seems to work to get the little darlings to sleep.
i've been trying binkies but they're such little butt heads with them. they'll grab the binkies  out of their mouths, chew on the sides, then throw them, then start crying again. i might have to try the feeding before bedtime. what do you guys feed yours before bed? cereal? baby food? or just a bottle? and the pedi never said when we can start giving them bottles of water. they're almost 7 months old so i'm not sure if we should wait or if they're old enough yet.
We feed whatever he will take before bed, the goal is just that he not be hungry.  Then toothbrushing, and then sometimes we get lucky and he nods off when Daddy is reading him a book at that point in the routine.  If not, that is when we will give a bottle of water when he is in bed.  I should note that these are 4- or 5-ounce bottles, not very big.  He mostly just wants the sucking action, I think it calms him.  I can't remember when our pedi said water was OK.  The usual rap on water is that it fills them up when they should be eating, in this case it doesn't matter.  But there is also something about too much water in a small body, for that reason, I would definitely check with your pediatrician first.
for the first time I gave my 9 month old a water bottle when she woke up.. she would suck about 3 times and then fall back to bed.  she woke up a few time to do this.  but hey not to bad
well i'm doing the feeding before bed and the water thing when they go to bed. and i'm going to slowly wean them off of the bottle of water. i figured falling asleep with water is better then formula until i get them off the bottle at night all together. brett is taking to the water great. he loves the stuff. eli. not so much. he'll sip at it. look at me with this look like...nuh uhhhh mom!!!! and starts to scream. i felt so bad because i'm trying to do the "tough love" and it's either water when going to bed or nothing. i really don't want them to have baby-bottle teeth. i know they're mad at me right now but i figure they'll be happy in the end when they don't need teeth pulled at the age of 2.

i guess i'll just have to get eli used to the binky.
Do be sure to check with your kids' pedi to be certain it is OK to give water, and to learn what amount not to exceed.  When a baby is little, he shouldn't drink too much not only because it fills his tummy to the exclusion of nourishing foods, but also there is a dangerous condition that can come on when anyone (adult or child) drinks too much water.  Although with an adult, the dangerous amount is really big, it would probably be much easier to accidentally exceed the desired limit in a baby because they are so small.  Therefore, if giving a bottle of water at night seems to be working, do call the pediatrician and run it by him or her, just to be sure that it is safe.
This was actually easy for me - I started to give my dd her bottle a little earlier and then brush her gums/teeth then give her a bath.  This has always worked since about 5 months old.  Even when she is sick I will just give her a sippy cup of water at night - she is now 22 months old and knows - no milk after teeth are brushed.  
brett seems to be doing great with the water. the only time they have a bottle of formula at night is after 4 am. (they usually have a morning bottle between 4-6 am and then another when they wake up around 8-9 am...eli on the other had still doesn't like the water. he's getting better with the binky. but if he doesn't want his binky we have to let him cry it out. they do get a bottle of formula and a little jar of bananas or applesauce before they go to bed so i know they're not hungry. i just hope this doesn't take long for them to start just going to bed.