breastfeeding
I am wanting to know the time frame needed to "pump and dump" my breast milk after having a few alcholic beverages...how long until my milk be clean for baby?
i have heard that it takes about 4 hrs for what you ingest to go into your breast milk, i don't know how long it stays in your milk for though.  i know when i breast fed if i ate something that didn't agree with my son that he was fussy for a least the next two feedings after that and i nursed about every 2 1/2 hours.  also when i was going to have dental work done the dentist told me that i would need to pump enough milk for 24 hrs because the meds that he would give me would effect my milk for that long.  don't know if this helps you?  i would probably wait 12hrs personally before nursing again after drinking.  good luck!
I just stayed away from alcoholic drinks while nursing.  It was just easier that way than wondering when the next feeding would be safe - I think your child is worth not having a drink :o)
Myth - A mother should not drink alcohol while breastfeeding.

Not true ! Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all. As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breastfeeding as she normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers.

Handout ..12 More Breastfeeding Myths. Revised January 2005
Written by Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC.
Everyone's entitled to their opinions but there are reliable sources of print. Dr. Jack Newman is an excellent reference for breastfeeding information. He is well known and respected internationally not just some random person writing **** on the internet. Funny thing to say about that huh, since people come here for advice from random people instead of finding professionals to clear up their concerns.

The American Academy of Pediatrics has alcohol listed under "usually compatible with breastfeeding" which you can read about here:

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6

Both of these sources are not what I would consider included in "don't believe everything you read" materials.
Sorry, but I disagree. Just because something is in print doesn't mean it's true. Wouldn't you want to err on the side of caution? I mean, you wouldn't give baby a sip of beer would you? The fact is that in an infant, even a little of something can cause a problem. I do feel that just skipping the alcohol would be easier than pump'n'dump. There is always something else you can dring, even at a bar. Nursing is just for a while, but a negative effect/reaction to alcohol in mother's milk can last forever. In addition, imagine that baby turns out to have a medical problem, or learning disability, would you really want to wonder if it could be your fault? Better safe than sorry I say.
Since when is (c r a p) a bad word for an adult forum? Bleeping it out makes it look like I used the "s" word!
And I need to disclose my choice is only made when I have a babysitter for a given amount of time that I know my body will have a chance to metabolize what I have consumed.

La Leche League source:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
I also think alcohol in light/moderation is fine. I've never seen or heard of a baby getting anything horrible from a mom that had a glass of wine or two. I plan to enjoy my red wine again as soon as I deliver. My lactation consultant told our class "Of course you can have a drink. If you feel tipsy, then you can pump, or time it appropriately. Don't have the wine when you know you have to breastfeed soon."I don't have an ounce of guilt, nor does it reflect 'how much baby's worth to me' by the fact that my Italian meals will have wine again! Use common sense- I've done that my whole healthy pregnancy and haven't stressed out over such things.