Maternal & Child Community
can I get flu shot while trying to get pregnant?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone know if I can get flu shot while trying to get pregnant, if that will cause problem if I get pregnant within next 3 month?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Happy holidays!

Shelley
I know you aren't supposed to get one if you're in the first trimester, so unless you're sure you aren't currently pregnant, you probably shouldn't get it.  Did you talk to your doctor about it?
As long as you aren't in your first trimester of pregnancy at the time of the vaccination, you should be fine. I would go in for a blood serum test and use protection while waiting for the results just to make sure before getting the shot.

Good luck!

Andrea
I am 6.5 wks and I had a dr. appt. last Friday and asked my dr. the SAME EXACT question.  He said that yes you could get a shot, but it's not worth it this time because they "missed the boat" on this year's flu vacc.  I do think that he did not go into details about that there are some possible risks to having the shot early on in pregnancy, but what I got out of it is that IF the vaccine was more accurate, then he would of suggested getting the vaccine. Apparently as long as it is a "dead" virus, it is okay.  I work p/t at vet's office and I was worried about accidentally poking myself with a rabies vacc. and he said even that would not cause any harm because it is a dead virus.   So I would think it's safe to get the flu vacc. if you really feel like you need it.
How about getting Flumist rather than the shot?  Is it safer in the 1st tri?

Thanks,
Linda