Maternal & Child Community
can I have a positive pregnancy test then a negative one

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I was late for my period so decided to take a pregnancy as I had all the symptoms of cramping sore breasts, I took six in total and all were positive, Two days later my cramping was worse and I had a bit of blood so went to A&E they did a test which was positive from a urine sample and also informed me I had a water infection. They gave me anti-biotics which was 1 in the morning so I went home and they had booked me to the early pregnancy an ultrasound for 12pm the same day. I was told to drink plenty of water for the scan. When I got there I was told I would be too early for an ultrasound and would have an internal scan just to check everything looked fine. She told me to empty my bladder and not to expect to see much today because of how early I was. She stuggled to find anything and my bladder was filling up very quickly again so she asked me to do a sample and try and empty it again. she came back into the room and told me I must have miscarried as the test was negative. I was devastated and confused as to why the test was so different in such a short space of time. They didnt take a blood test or anything just sent me packing with the bad news. a day later ive still not had a period and have  woke up with my breasts more painful than ever and still feel pregnant. Ive had three miscarriages over the years and all have happened with heavy blood loss. Im now 39 days since my last period stared and 32 days after it ended. Is there any chance I still could be pregnant and the test showed negative because of the amount of water I drank for the scan. Please help (Im also 39 and feel my times running out to be a mum. xx
If the test at the hospital was a urine-based test, there is a strong possibility your urine was too dilute for the hCG to register.  The only way this would be unlikely is if you had taken all six of the other tests with diluted urine also.  Have you taken another home pregnancy test with first-morning urine since then?
Thanks for your reply Annie, Ive not had another test yet I was too scared. I think thats what my best is now just for piece of mind. All the positive tests were at random times throughout the day and the first positive at the hospital was at midnight. I only drank a lot of water because the Doctor told me I would be having an ultrasound but when I got to maternity she said I would be too early to have one so she let me go to the toilet. Then said my bladder was still full and did a test on the second sample.
I would get another home test and see if the result is darker than the other ones' s you took and if so I would call your dr back and have them run a blood test to see what your levels are and see if they are were they should be. I had an internal sono at 4 wks due to an accident with my last baby and they told me that they usually don't see any thing even internally till after 6 wks.
Thanks Momo, thats great advice, ive asked my boyfriend to pick me up a test on his way home from work x
Ive just taken another home test and it shows a dark line and a very faint line so im confused how to read the result. I guess ill have to buy another one for the morning now i was too impatient to wait. And then speak to my doctor, Thanks for the advice x
Shelly,  unless you are sure of when you actually ovulated, you may be very early, hence the light test line.  The hospitals use really cheap pregnancy tests.  They are similar to the online ones you could purchase at pennies for each, so they won't show up as quickly as one that you would buy at a store.  This is especially true if you are really early in your pregnancy with diluted urine on top of that.  Like the previous poster said, you could just test every other morning and see if the line has gotten darker.  Of course, a more accurate way would be to get hcg levels taken 2-3 days apart to see if they have doubled.

As far as which line is which, the test line is usually closest to the part of the stick that you stick in your urine.  It's the line the urine runs past first.  
Thanks I was positive eleven hours earlier that the hospital did. I know im only about 5 weeks, curiosity has got the better of me and ive gone and bought a digital one. It did say pregnant, so ive just got my fingers crossed now. Think ill be happy once ive had a blood test x
I took a morning one this morning and it instantly came up pregnant. I took the stick out of the reader and there's definitely two bold lines x
Phoned the hospital this morning and spoke to the nurse who gave me the positive result and she told me to go in again. I had another test and she said it was a faint positive. She then informed me that my last test turned positive when she told me she thought I miss carried. I said how could I have 9 positives and she turned round and said I could be the . 1 0/0 it's not accurate on. I feel she really doesn't want me to be pregnant. She's given me a blood test and now I'm just waiting by the phone for the results. I'm just mentally drained with it all and have everything crossed.
Everything crossed for you! Nurse should have been a little more careful IMHO! x
My hcg was 63 they said I've either got my dates wrong which I'm now thinking I was a week out and gave an earlier date or they said I could be having a failing pregnancy. Got to have another blood test now on Friday to see what the levels are then x
Well it's down to 39 today so along comes the heartache once again. The nurse said tho because of my age I can go in with my boyfriend for blood tests coz times not on my side. I wish everyone trying all my live and luck and I'll be hopefully be trying again soon once my period starts and I know where I am again x x x