caring for circumcision
My son was born Saturday and circumcised on Sunday. They say to clean it with soap and water, keep gauze and vaseline on it between diaper changes. I have no problem with the gauze and vaseline, but I am scared to clean it with soap and water. How do you do it? Am I supposed to touch it? Don't it hurt? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
I wasn't told to clean it.  I just had to put a dap of A&D on the gauze square, place it over it and close up the diaper.  I never did touch it....
He is 4 now, and we have never had a problem with it.  It didn't get wet until the umbilical cord fell off, and we gave him a bath.
My son is 10 weeks and we were told only to rinse with water if it got dirty during a bowel movement.  We were also advised not to use baby wipes till it healed, just to wet cloths and use them.  Same thing with my first son who is 3 1/2.  I would call the pediatrician though if you are concerned.  Congrats on baby!
mgi
wow
they said only vaseline for mine
no soap water or gauze?
I agree, no gauze, no soap and water. I took my peri bottle full of warm water to rinse it if it had stool on it. Just a dab of vaseline in it and the diaper and it healed just fine for all three of my boys.
we were told to coat the front of the diaper with vaseline where penis would be when the diaper was closed.  worked really well.
I agree with the others. I have 2 boys, 1 month and 21 months and both of them I was told nothing on it other than vaseline until it healed, unless I needed to use warm water to rinse of stool. Granted, it will turn yellowish while healing. Don't get that confused with stool, or an infection. It's a normal part of the healing process.