Maternal & Child Community
gestational sac and yolk sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

gestational sac and yolk sac

I had a miscarriage last December and my hcg levels only went to 40, this pregnancy they have found out that they are rising and are currently above 4000.  I went for a sonogram a week and half ago and they said that they could see a gestational sac and according to my dates i should have been six weeks but the measurments of the sac said four. They also did not see a yolk sac. I just went for my second sono a week later and it showed the gestational sac and the yolk sac measuring at 5 wks and 2 -3 days, but still no baby, is this common?  Please help this is really bothering me and I need peace of mind.
Avatar n tn
I seem to be going through almost the same thing- i just posted something similar. Have you been having pregnancy symptoms? I wasn't aware there was a difference between the gestational sac and yolk sac?
here's food for thought....according to you calculations for how far along you are....are you basing that on your LMP or are you referring to weeks post conception?  You're calculations will probably be slightly off from the measurements by about 2 weeks...
Avatar n tn
yes i wast told that first there would be a gestational sac and then a yolk sac and then a fetal pole with baby and heartbeat.  I am really scared and hoping that when i return everything will be ok. i am going to go and read your entry good luck!
This happened to me. It sounds like you ovulated later than "normal". No big deal. Give it another week or so and you should see a little bean in there. Doctors normally measure wks since LMP to date a pregnancy assuming that you conceived 14days after that, but it doesn't always happen that way. The yolk sac is what feeds and takes care of the baby until around wk 12 when the placenta takes over.
Avatar n tn
thank you for your comments i just found out that i will be returning for a repeat u/s on the 31 of Augand then a dr. visit afterwards. please say lots of prayers because this baby means everything to me and my husband. I am praying that we see the baby with a heart beat. thank you for your support.