Maternal & Child Community
getting piercings while breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

getting piercings while breastfeeding

i went to go get a "monroe" piercing today, and as i was reading the waiver one of the things was " iam not pregnant or nursing" i asked why you shouldnt get pierced while nursing and the piercer said i could pass an infection to my baby through the milk if my piercing got infected. is this true and if so how likely? i would really like to get the piercing ( an upper lip piercing where marylin monroes beauty mark was) but am not ready to quit  nursing my one month old. should i just wait until im completely done nursing her? thanks for the help.
I would wait, you have plenty of time after your done nursing, and if you have more babies later, you won't have to worry about it cause the infection time will be over.  I knew a girl in high school that got her tongue done and it became very infected, and she was the type to take care of it so even if you keep it really clean, you never know if there will be a bacteria there or not to react.  I know that babies can handle antibodies, because one of my friends was just on them.  But I don't think doctors like to give them out.  I would say though that if it's on the contract you can't come back on them if the baby gets sick.  So protect that little one, it won't be long and you'll be able to get it.  By then you may also decide that you don't want one anyways, and would just wind up taking it out.
yeah i think u should defenetly wait..whats one more month..it will go by before you know it!!
i would wait.  Why risk it?  It wont be that much longer anyways :)
you do what you want, but considering stopping bf'ing to get a piercing seems a little immature. you chose to be a mom, so if you want to bf, it can wait. im not opposed piercings or tats, have had several myself, you just have to decide what is more important to you.
Definately wait as well, when you are finished nursing then reconsider your piercing.  I've waited 15 years for my single tattoo I've always wanted, maybe between babies I'll do it this time.
NO QUESTION, WAIT.  WHAT IS THE HURRY?  Your daughter will be an infant ONCE.  You can get your peircing anytime you want for the next 60 years.  
I really wanted my lip peirced untill I saw sum pics ov people wiv infetions n would defo advise u to wait ck its not nice ast all and to think ov your lil baba being contaminated wiv ne thing harmful dnt bare thinkin about,n the peircing probably seems more inviting beacause u cnt have it done n bet wen you've finished nursing it won't seem half as attractive as it does at the momant,typical woman we all want wat we can't have lol.x
Ok so the risk of an infection that serious happening is slim to none... I'm a piercer.. I even got pierced while I was pregnant the only reason they put that on the waiver is so that a mother doesn't come and bring a lawsuit to the shop because even though you signed off on it.. You could still take a shop to court for piercing someone that was breast feeding or pregnant... So I say its your choice the risk really is very very little and especially a lip piercing and infection would more then likely stay in that one spot then spread throughout your whole body
I would wait. I believe what the piercer said but everyones body is different and heals n fights off infections differently. I know the chances r very slim but u just never know what can happen. I've been waiting to get my tattoo n tongue piercing done till I'm finished breastfeeding. I have a one month old n a 2 yr old I would've got it done between my son n my newborn buying didn't have the money for it or just decided to get my kids something with the money instead. It shouldn't be too long till ur baby isn't fully dependant on ur breast milk.
Oops my phone corrected the word but to buying. I meant to say, I have a one month old n a 2 yr old I would've got it done between my son n my newborn but i didn't have the money for it or just decided to get my kids something with the money instead. It shouldn't be too long till ur baby isn't fully dependant on ur breast milk.
Sorry my cellphone corrected the word but to buying. Supposed to say, "I have a one month old n a 2 yr old I would've got it done between my son n my newborn but I didn't have the money for it or just decided to get my kids something with the money instead. It shouldn't be too long till ur baby isn't fully dependant on ur breast milk."
Sorry my cellphone changed the word "but I" to "buying" its supposed to say "I have a one month old n a 2 yr old I would've got it done between my son n my newborn buying didn't have the money for it or just decided to get my kids something with the money instead. It shouldn't be too long till ur baby isn't fully dependant on ur breast milk."
I know its hard as hell to wait, im not even past 6 months and I am dying for another tattoo and piercing. Just wait, it ***** and all but it is worth it. I wouldn't be like some of the things above about 60 years to do this or wait 15 years for one tattoo. I can wait 15 minuets for another one! Just wait, It ***** but why not. :) better not to risk anything.
I agree but disagree if you are a responsible person and understand your body's limitations especially with tattoos they should be fine with a small tattoo especially if its like a butterfly or anything smaller than the palm of your hand if you get it during breastfeeding you should be fine. Just as long as you're getting it from a professional that has clean and sanitized equipment. Same with piercing, I agree you shouldn't get implants/ dermals but nose lip and ear piercings are so minute you should just fine. I just had baby and i'm gonna get my ears pierced for bar on outer lobe. There is nothing to worry about but just now what your body can take.