Maternal & Child Community
heartbeat but fetus not growing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

heartbeat but fetus not growing?

I have had a few miscarriages so I have been monitored closely this pregnancy. I have had three ultrasounds. At 5.5 weeks we saw the sac and fetal pole and then at 6.5 weeks we saw the heartbeat. I went last week to at 8.5 weeks to see the baby again and we found out we did have twins..but one didn't make it and the other is measuring the same as it did two weeks ago but still has a heartbeat. my doctor said there is no hope and that when the heart stops he will do the d&c, so i go back next week for a scan again. Anyone ever had this and the baby survived?
Why does he think there is no hope for the other baby?
Because the baby hasn't grown at all in two weeks. It is measuring two weeks behind and we've been monitoring the growth of one of the babies for the last few weeks. So, because I was 8.5 weeks and it looked more like 5-6 he said there was no hope.
Sometimes Dr.s (in all their infinite wisdom) can be jerks!  I know that being pregnant with twins can slow the size of both of them down.  I would think that because you were pregnant with twins and then lost one, it might take a bit for the other baby to catch up.  I will keep you in my prayers, and I know that many other women on here pray for each other also... Keep us informed :o)
hi, I am updating to let you know that I went in today to see if the heart had stopped beating and instead witnessed a miracle. my doctor had tentatively scheduled my d&c for tomorrow as long as the baby had passed. Instead we saw a beautiful 10w1d old baby. My doctor said it is a miracle and goes to show that science isn't in control...GOD is. Last week the baby measured 6 weeks at best so the fact that it was 10w1d with arms, legs and a moving head..was amazing. What a joy to see that screen today. hope this gives hope to someone else going through something similar.
Thanks again for the responses.
Wow! That is awesome. I am happy for you. I bet you are so excited.
I am soo happy for you! Congrats!!!
Congrats - that is wonderful news.  I am so happy for you!!!!  That also gives me hope for our third little "peanut" inside of me.  After only seeing 2 out of the 3 heartbeats last week, I was very sad but have started to have hope again.  
WOW!!!! it is so amazing I'm so happy for you!!!!!!!!! please keep us updated
wowww, congrats, you see, dr's arent always right, and even they are, there is a greater power watching from up above, God is Great, have a wonderful time during your pregnancy and keep us updated :))
Many congrats
Wow, your story has definately given me hope. My husband and I are going through a similar situation. We went to the doctor the week before last and they found the fetal pole and a flicker on the screen, which the tech. believed to be a heartbeat. Although, she said it was too faint for her to pick up the sound. Last week we went back and the baby has grown, it is measuring 6 weeks which is exactly on cue with the date I believe to have conceived. But, this time no heartbeat can be detected. The doctor suggested possible missed miscarriage and tested my progesterone level. My progesterone level is above 20, which is good, and I havent had any cramping or bleeding. I'm still having pregnancy symptoms like frequent urination, nautiousness, sore breasts, food adversions and facial breakouts. On Wed. of this week we go back to the doctor for another u/s. The baby should be measuring 7 weeks. Hopefully we will see the heartbeat. It could have been that the tech. never really detected the hb the first time which is why it wasn't there the last. This time I have faith it will be there. GOD IS WONDERFUL!!!!!! your situation is just another sign of that. I am expecting my  own miracle on Wed., and with all of my family, including my church family and friends praying for us, my faith has become stronger. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy, just keep God first and everything will turn out for the best.
I had the same happen.. I was pregnant with twins and miscarried one of them at 6 weeks.. At that time the drs said there was no hope for the other baby. I am currently 17 weeks pregnant and the baby is only measuring 13 weeks 4 days. I have an Amnio in the morning to determine why he is not growing. There was a week that his heart rate dropped below 50 bpm. But now it is back in the 140's. All I can say is pray that everything will work out. I will keep you in my prayers.

Good Luck
I am actually going through the same thing right now, I am 6 1/2 weeks and the baby is 1 week behind in growth, and the heartrate was only 88 on monday. The Dr. said that the outcome is in God's hands, and i have to wait until monday 27th to see if the HB has gone up and if any growth has occurred. This is my first baby and I was thrilled to find out I was pregnant, my sister in law found out she was pregnant the same day, and lost the baby last week, so we are all scared for my baby. I am on bed rest until monday and i have been praying and talking to my baby and I am hoping for a miracle!!
Thank you so much for your story of hope, as I am in a similar situation.  The past three weeks have been so difficult, the doctor keeps saying to prepare ourselves for the worst, and that there was no chance for the baby to survive, as the baby is measuring two weeks behind.  They schedule me for a D & C last Friday, but had me come in one more time last Thursday, and they saw a heartbeat, it was slow, but there was definately a heartbeat.  The doctor still is not hopeful, but we waited a week, and I am going in tomorrow to see if there has been any growth in the baby.  I will be 9 weeks 4 days tomorrow.  I had no idea so many women are going through the same thing...it is so difficult to get through each day, without hope, it would not be possible!  The best to all of you I will pray for your babies and for your strength during this difficult time.  Also Scared for Number 3 for me too!!      
wow...alot of women have problems during pregnancy i am going to my obgyn today bc i have been having alot of cramps i am just going to get every thing checked out so just wish me luck!!!
IM NOT HAVEIN ANY SIGNS OF BEING PREGNET BUT MY STOMACH HAS AN HEART BEAT AND MOVES SLOW DOES THAT MEAN IM PREGNET
i'm 6 months and i dont even look like i'm pregnant but when i with to the doctor i heard my baby heart beat because i kept on saying that i was'nt pregnant because i dont look it i have'nt had a ultra-sound yet because like i said we thought i was'nt pregnant because i took 5 home test and they all came out negative but when i went to the doctor it was postive i just pray to god that my baby is okay and healthly i think my baby is'nt growing either because i'm not
I had exactly the same thing happen - the fetal pole stopped growing for three weeks - during which time the heartbeat continued, and everything else like the gestational sac, placenta and uterus continued to grow. Sadly, when I was 9 weeks pregnant the baby died - the heartbeat stopped. After the death, the gestational sac and placenta kept growing and my body did not recognize the loss. I am going to have tablets/vaginal pessaries given to me on Monday to induce miscarriage.
Wow....these stories are so awesome. Im in the same situation but its a little worse.  I had to go to the emergency room a few days ago b/c I started bleeding heavy. Im 8 weeks pregnant and when they did the ultra sound the baby only measured 6 weeks old.  Later that night I started having pains in my stomach and the doc the next morning told me Im in the early stages of a miscarrage (miscarriage). Its been 3 days now and the pain has stopped. I go Monday to get my blood work checked out and that will tell us more about whats going on..Ive been praying so hard the last few days and when I read everyones stories it really gives me hope and reminds me that if its Gods will he will provide a miracle for my situation!
i am 9.5 weeks but my baby mesures 6 milimiters. is that ok? please answer me cause i will only be able to speak to my doc tomm night and i cant sleep from worrie
Last Friday I went to the doctors & am 8 weeks pregnant, the doctor said he could not see the heart beat, then he said he saw a movement- a slow heartbeat, then further added does not look good a 50% chance. I was devasted. But after reading all this about how women go through similar siuttaions give me hope, I pray to God everyday for my baby to develop. I will go back this Sat. I pray god will answer my prayers. This is my 1st baby and am very excited!
I'm going through the same thing. I've been going weekly (3 weeks and next week is 4) and the growth is not what they expect (1mm per day). Because I missed a period my timing is off and they can't tell if I'm 8 weeks and the baby is very behind or if I'm more like 5-6 weeks and just a little behind. The heartbeat is there and continues to beat but they are very pessimistic and think the outcome will be a miscarriage/D&C. It's great to hear the success stories and hope. Definitely helps with staying positive.
i an in the same situation. I had kinda heavy bleeding for a few days, the doc said i have had a miscarriage and told me to get a scan. But the scan reflected a baby with heart beat. The scanner said the baby is 6 weeks although i am 8 weeks pregnant now. I am still spotting brown and just keeping my fingers crossed and praying to GOD for the best to happen...
Thanks for sharing your stories.  I had never heard of this happening to anyone before it happened to me.  According to my dates, I should have been 8.5 weeks but the fetus was measuring 5.5 weeks but still had a flickering heartbeat (couldn't pick up the sound on the u/s).  The dr. told me either my dates are wrong (and I know they are not) or it will end in a miscarriage.  I was sent home to expect a miscarriage or come back in 10 days to see if by some miracle the baby will be ok, or if not, schedule a D&C.  I am hoping I do have a miracle like some of you ladies...
I am in the same situation.  I am 8 weeks and the baby has had a heartbeat from 100 to 80 and has been 5 weeks 6 days for 2 1/2 weeks.  I am going for an ultrasound weekly.  I was ready to have a D and C but no one will do it.  I kind of understand why.  But....is there any home of a normal live birth?
How are you doing now? Thank you for sharing your story. It is hard to have hope especially when miscarriage is the only card in my rolodex. I have had two miscarriage (the last one was just 4 months ago) and this particular pregnancy was the longest that I have had. Because I am "high risk" they have been giving me an ultrasound every week. The first one, everything looks on target and the second they detected a heartbeat (at 6 weeks and 5 days) but it was a low-tech ultrasound so they could not measure the embryo. I just went in and they said that it is too small, within the 5th percentile for size and it has not really grown since my first ultrasound at 5 weeks and 5 days. The perinatologist said basically to "not buy a crib". It has weak heartbeat but it is beating too slowly for it's age. It is really hard to deal with impending doom or the knowledge that this will probably result in ANOTHER miscarriage. Anyway... I hope that we see the miraculous growth at the next ultrasound. Thank you for sharing your stories and the best of luck to all of you.  
Thanks so much for your story. It gives me increased hope. I am 23 weeks pregnant and the doctor said my baby is only measuring 19 weeks. I went for an US this week and the doctor said the baby has not grown since the prior two week measurements and that "there was no hope". However my little angel's heartbeat was 153 and still moving around tons. I have hope that a miracle will happen and my little angel will grow like she needs to grow. I have another US in two weeks and hoping for a drastic change. Will keep you all posted!
I am hoping and praying for you.  I can't imagine the emotions you must be experiencing.  I have a pregnancy that is only 7w and baby is at 5w w/ a heartbeat and I just couldn't imagine 23w and a heartbeat.  Please keep me posted.
I am hoping and praying for you.  I can't imagine the emotions you must be experiencing.  I am pregnant at 7w2d but the baby only measures at 5w5d w/ a heartbeat and the doctor is hoping not too see one so she can do a D&C.  I can't imagine this happening at 23w.  Keep me posted.
I had a scan at 7 weeks and two heart beats were seen (one not so clear) I had a scan yesterday (9 weeks) that said one of the twins had no heart beat and they struggled to detect the second twins heartbeat and they were about 8 weeks in size. They said they were 99% sure that I would misscarry but would have a scan in a week to confirm. I am so pleased for you I really am mircacles do happen. In some ways I wish I hadn't read your story as my hopes may now be a bit too high.