Maternal & Child Community
hemmoraging

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hemmoraging

i've gone to the ER twice in the past month for postpartum hemorrhaging. the 2nd time this happened i began going into shock, yet the doctors sent me home three hours after they gave me iv and oxygen, i havent felt the same since this happened. They drew some blood and that was it no ultrasound. My obstetrician said  hes sure he didn't leave any pieces of the placenta inside so he wouldn't do a d&C. They gave me a shot of methergine and sent me home with a prescription for methergine. When i went for my follow up appointment my obstetrician said it probably was a small piece of the placenta, sent me to do a transvaginal ultrasound  and more bloodwork. He called me with the results-they found a small amount of material on the wall of my uterus and my bloodwork showed i'm anemic and my blood count was 9.3. He says if i'm not showing any more symptoms theres no need to do anything more. I'm almost two months postpartum now and still bleeding, but only a little, and it's thick mucousy blood. I went in to the doctors again because the bleeding increased and my obstetrician did an endometrial biopsy.They called me with the results that the biopsy is abnormal and put me on doxycicline for an infection of the lining of my uterus. I have no follow up appointments. My question is shouldn't they find out for sure what is on the wall of my uterus? I've asked if they know for sure, and they say it could be a number of things. I asked them if i could have a follow up ultrasound some time in the future to make sure everythings cleared up, he says theres no need.Should i get a 2nd opinion?
YES GET A SECOND OPINION!!!!!!!!!!   I do not think you should still be bleeding.  I had a baby 5 months ago and only bled very little for 4 weeks.  I had a m/c in Sept of 03 and afterwards found that there was a small piece of placenta left at the tip of my uterus that caused me to cramp & bleed heavy for 2 weeks.  When they did the 2nd D&C they did get that piece and I stopped bleeding.  You need to find out what was left behind.  Good Luck to you and please let us know what you find out.
Go to ashermans.org.  They will have some good info regarding D&C's after delivery.  A woman is more at risk for ashermans afer delivery.  You need to be cautious what kind of treatment you get at this point.  I would e-mail someone there and get some help.  Many women there (you can read their stories) were damaged after a D&C after having a baby.  They might have some good ideas what kind of treatment might be best.  I wish you well.
P.S.  It definitely sounds like you need a ultrasound to see hat is going on.  I can't believe your doctor shoved you off like that.  It is your body and you can request what needs to be done if not this doctor, from another.  Just make sure whatever treatment you get, you research it out first.