Maternal & Child Community
holidays and open forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

holidays and open forum

this is going to be our first christmas with dd, but she's only going to be 5 months old. DH wants us to wrap all of her presents. is there a point? no older kids yet to appreciate the opening of the gifts. new moms- what are you going to do? other moms- what did you do?
feel free to also use as an open forum.
Tags: newborn, maternal, christmas
My son (no older siblings) will be just 11 months plus, and Christmas will just be another day to him, so we won't wrap anything.  I don't plan to do anything more than maybe get him one toy.  (That would be more for the fun I get in buying it and the symbolic aspects of giving a gift at Christmas than because it matters to him.)  That said, I assume he'll get a few gifts from grandma and aunts, usually running to knitted hats and books.  He's at the stage now where Tupperware is more fun to him than toys, so it's going to take a little thought if I want to get him something he really will play with (LOL).  He'll get me back when he's about 5 and has been watching toy commercials.  ;)
I am a nerd : ) My oldest was only a 2 1/2 weeks old for his first Christmas and I still wrapped his gifts. Way too much work, but I still did it for my second (he was 7 mos at Christmas) and my third was just under 2 mos for his. But given the nature of stocking stuffers (smaller toys) I tend to put biter biscuits or the like in there for them when they are wee babies.
Well, if it's going to be her first Christmas, are you going to videotape it or take pictures? Of course you're going to take pictures! It would be cute for her presents to be wrapped and you could just open them for her...that way when she gets older she can see she was involved in the Christmas tradition from the very start.  ;)  Home videos are so fun to watch when you get older.

It reminds me of when I was a kid and we would get a present for my cat. We would wrap it, even though of course he couldn't open it or understand the whole point of Christmas, but it was just fun to do.
I think I always wrapped my kids presents even when they were babies.  And ExpectingRedhead was right on about her cat...we used to wrap the dogs presents.  
I too, was a wrapper.
What about gift bags? I always keep mine and reuse them. That way it's still kinda wrapped but you can help him pull it out. It will still look good when taking the pictures and you can save the bags for next year!
I wrapped too, this year will be my eldest's 4th Christmas, I still don't think he quite understands what's going on with the whole Christmas thing but he certainly enjoyed ripping the paper off last year, infact I think sometimes the younger kids have more fun with the paper and boxes  than the actual gifts!!!
Last year with James it was hard to get him to open all his presents (with family and friends he had a ton!), when he opened one he just wanted to play with that for a while before opening another so it took most of the day to get through them but it was lots of fun.
This year will be Sam's first Christmas, he will be 11 months, he loves ripping paper so we will definately wrap his!

Tip for everyone; remove toys from the boxes and take off all those annoying wire and plastic things that strap the toys to the boxes before you wrap; they will drive you mad on Christmas day trying to get them off when your kid is eager to play with the toy!
I will probably wrap my babies gifts this year (she will be about 4 months) mostly because her older sister (almost 3 yrs old) will have wrapped gifts.  Honestly, my 3 year old is just now starting to get excited about christmas, and her birthday.  She is starting to tell me what toys she wants also.  So really, this christmas will mostly be about her.  I only get a few things for the baby.
ill wrap her gift and have my son help her open it, will make an adorable picture!! she will only be weeks old, but if i didnt, my son would have a fit im sure lol.  ill let him do it all for her, he is so excited for her to get here.  only 6 weeks 3 days left!!!
My baby boy will be 4 mos at C-mas and his gifts will be wrapped! I wrap for 2 dogs....so of course I'll be wrapping for Max! :)
i like the gift badg idea... i have a ton saved up. you all have convinced me to wrap, and i even came up with a clever idea. dh and I are each going to get a spending limit (not much- maybe $40), and we'll each buy gifts for her, but not let each other see in advance. i'll open gifts from him to her, and he'll open gifts from me to her.
My daughter was 5 months for her first Christmas, and we wrapped the gifts.  We put her in the excersaucer and helped her open them.  (Just don't do too many) She actually ripped the paper off of a few and lit up like crazy when she opened her little lovey blanket.  I would say wrap them especially since your husband seems excited to do so.  It could be a really wonderful holiday memory for your family, no matter how young the baby is.  Congrats and have a wonderful holiday season!
After all my unsentimental comments above, I just went out and bought my son a Halloween costume, cute as can be and of course he knows nothing of Halloween.  So I'll probably melt by Christmas and go for all the stuff.  LOL
my son was about 9 months old for his first x-mas, and my hubby thought i was silly for wrapping Hayden's gifts, but i just had to! I couldn't help it, it was his first x-mas and i wanted to make it special for him. :)
My son was one day old for his first Christmas so no presents that year--but I did wrap all his presents when he was 1 and also all the birthday gifts he got that year also--He really didn't care as long as he could chew on it--but it was so much fun for us--now that they are 3 and will be five--tons of wrapping and special paper for the Santa gifts..
Don't feel bad Brooke. I caught flak for not dressing CJ up last year even though he was only 3 days old for Halloween. He was so jaundiced I just told everyone he was a pumpkin ; )

I go nuts for holidays. My kids all had costumes (except for last year for CJ) I have faithfully wrapped their gifts in wrapping paper, and stuffed their stockings. I didn't have good Christmas' when I was a kid, so I go a little overboard : )
This doesn't really deal with Max....just sharing a tradition from when I was a kid!

When we were little, "Santa" would leave all of our gifts unwrapped and in the original packages. There would be lots and lots of stuff stacked up around our stockings (which were never hung because there was no place to hang them). It always seemed like I was looking at 1/2 the toy store seeing all that stuff unwrapped. It was always such an exciting time.....
I wrapped all of mine, too. Just a tradition to start early on. Even my dd who was born Dec 22nd had wrapped gifts on Christmas morning. It's all about the memories for me, pictures and home movies. They grow up so quickly! (step-daughter in freshman year of college, 8th grader and a 4th grader now)!