Maternal & Child Community
how often do you bath your kids?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how often do you bath your kids?

i know the title is weird...but i was wondering how often you ladies bathe your babies?? i've been doing it every night and EVERYONE is telling that is way too much. is it? i figure even if they don't play outside everyday why not bath them everyday? i know it relaxes them and they like bath time...but is it good for their skin? my eli has a bit of baby exzema (eczema) (sp?) on his back and will bathing them every other day help with it? again the pedi wasn't in her office today. at least not when i called at 2. and i did want some other mommy's opinions on the bathing issue.
I bathe my twins every 2nd to 3rd day, both have very dry skin,
does bathing them like that seem to help with the dry skin? i feel so bad for eli...it doesn't seem to bother him that bad but i know having that on his back can't be comfortable. even with the lotion i use it still doesn't seem to do much good. maybe i will start bathing them every other day unless they really need it
I bathe my dd every night but wash her hair every other night.  She LOVES it!  She has no skin problems though...
Yes, my son also has eczema and I was also advised to bathe him only every 2-3 days.  That, together with lotion, did clear up his eczema.  
hi, with both my lads i bathed them everything evening when they were babies but now they are older i bath them every 2days, altho everyday if they are mucky from outside!  my eldest developed severe eczma (eczema) as a baby, all over his body, even his scalp and face.  people normally coo over babies but people used to come upto me and ask me what was wrong with him.  

there are various things you can do.  there is something called oilatum which as it sounds is very oily, bath your child in that, you pour a capful into the running water but you will have to make sure you wash away the grease afterwards properly as others who use the bath may slip! lol  i was told to bath my son in it twice a day but he was very bad, just using everytime you bath your child may be good enough if it isnt severe.  

there is also a cream called aquious cream, this can be applied as many times a day as you like or feel the need to.  you can also use this to wash your child with instead of ordinary soaps and shower gels as they may aggrivate the skin.

those two things you can buy with out needing a pre-scription and are very good.  you should use the cream every day even when the patches clear up to try help prevent break outs aswell.  

failing this, there is another cream but it has to be prescribed by the doctor as it is very strong.  it is called hydroquortizone but it is very strong and can wear away the skin and especially in children docs will only prescribe this in severe cases like my son.  it comes in different strengths and should only be applied twice a day to the very bad patches.

babies who develop eczma (eczema) often grow out of it by the time they reach adult hood, how ever if you develop it later as a child it is thought they will not grow out of it.
i use johnsons bedtime wash on them. i don't know if that could be irritating his eczma (eczema) or not. brett has no issues besides a little behind his one knee. i don't want anything super oily for him so i may try the aquios cream. i don't want anything strong that could possibly irritate his skin anymore. unfortunately he's like me. i'm super allergic to a lot of lotions, body wash, detergent and stuff like that. (surprisingly i can use gain detergent. lol and i LOVE that stuff) i don't know if he's allergic or not but the way his back breaks out it's how i get when i use the "wrong" stuff.

i'm going to try bathing them every other day (unless they get dirty from playing of course) to see if maybe that will help out any.
My son is 14 months now.. when he was a newborn/infant I bathed him about every 2 to 3 days.  Now that he is mobile and gets dirtier, I bath him every other day.  If something comes up and we don't get home till late/bedtime, I don't keep him up to give him a bath, I just put him to bed.  Over bathing them will dry out their skin.  My son have very dry skin and we live in a dry climate.  My son also have the dry patch on his lower back.  Johnson's baby lotion doesn't work at all.  Just by any other kind of fragrance free lotion for sensitive skin and it will work better than johnson's.  You can also just put Vaseline on really dry patches... let that soak in before you put his diaper on.  

best of luck.  
i do use a&d ointment on eli's back after bath time. it seems to work but it rubs off on his jammies when i put them on and it never rubs in completely no matter how long i rub his back.
same as tanker... when an infant every 2-3 days, now every other day. When she was an infant, i noticed her skin and scalp drying. the ped told me that cutting back on baths could help, and I noticed it really did. bathing removes some of the body's natural oils, which results in drying.

as for eczema... have you tried eucerin or aquaphor? that stuff is amazing. Can be pricy, so I now have a huge tub of generic eucerin that works as well as the brand name.
A little girl in my class has the worst eczema i have every seen. The aquaphor seems to really help her.
I bathe my 15 month old every day.  I just feel that she gets so dirty now that she feeds herself (or tries to).  I also like to give her a bath because she is in diapers all day which I imagine as kind of hot and sticky with no air flow (plus sleeping in a diaper all night) so I just feel better soaking her a little.  Even just a 5-10 minute bath is fine for her and if we get home late or something, I will skip it.  Her skin is not dry so far.  I would also try a good lotion like aquaphor, lubriderm or eucerin.
aquaphor works great, put it on after bathing, my little myleigh has horrendous dry skin, I use a cream called acid mantle, it is over the counter but expensive,it restores the ph balance of the skin, when her skin is very very dry I use that, after it clears up some I use aquaphor, my 11 year old has true ezema, she used to have it on her face, behind her knees and upper arms, now it is just in her upper arms, she has to see a dermatologist and is on steriod cream, hydrocortisone was not effective, this is a prescription, it cleared up within 3 days, she is also on claritin, which is an antihistamine, this helps with the itching, which in turn helps with the skin problem, I know yoru little ones are way to small for that just throwing it out there,
Ok, I guess this will sound bad, but I would bath mine about once or twice a week. Where we live it's very dry and arid. There's no humidity in the air. All of us have dry skin and hair. I myself take a shower every day but only wash my hair once or twice a week, for that reason.
But for babies, how dirty can they get? If you wash their hands and faces and private areas every day then you shouldn't need to bath them as often. This can help with the dry skin, too, since every time we bathe we strip the natural oils off of our skin.

Once my kids got older, I bathed them more often because they'd play outside most days. But for babies, I just don't think they get that dirty, you know?
well my son is 19 months old...he has eczema and i bath him everyday.. always have always will. the only soap i found worked for him was the aveeno and i use the aveeno for eczema. his skin is awesome with it...
Ever since Noah was a baby I have only bathed him every other day unless he gets really dirty outside or has blowout diaper issues. He has eczema as well and his doctor said a bath every 2-3 days is recommended.
When I was a new mommy, I read all the Girlfriends' Guides (to Pregnancy, to Your First Year, even the one on shopping for a new baby) and the author was really plainspoken on full-body bathing not really being very necessary for an infant.  I didn't want to dry out my son's skin (he was born in the winter), so I would just wash his hands and feet with soapy water, and of course kept his bottom scrupulously clean, and would leave it at that for up to a week or more at a time.  I think he got a bath, on the average, once every ten days when he was an infant.  Once he got big enough to sit up in the tub and find it entertaining, that was another story.   If you are bathing them for their relaxation or for their enjoyment, hey, do it whenever you have time, but they don't really need it so often as an infant for hygiene reasons.  Unless they are sweating a lot in hot weather and get salty, or they have had ballistic poop up the back of their clothes, they are not going to get very dirty.
As infants once maybe twice a week,  otherwise just lightly sponged them down; hands, faces in the creases and a good wash of the bottom once a day. As they grew into toddlers it usually ended up every other day in the winter and most days in the summer if they were playing outside. Now at just over two and five they are too mucky to skip bath time and go in the tub every night! They also love it and it's a nice relaxing way to finish off their day.
My dtr is almost 28 months old and I bath her daily.  It's part of her routine.  I wash her hair every other day.   As an infant, I bathed her every 2-3 days.
addison gets a bath every day, especially hair since she has developed a love of wearing her food lol.  we use burts bees baby wash and she has very soft skin.  my ds has bouts of eczema and his derm told us to not use lotion but cream and use Cetaphil.  it is fragrance free and gentle for even babies.  its the best stuff on earth!!

tonight addy fell asleep before we got home and didnt get a bath, its killing me my dirty girl!! lol
I bath my 2 1/2 yr old and 11mo every night. It's part of a routine and they are so active they are filthy by the end of the day ;)
i think it can all depend on the child and how bad the skin is.  because of what creams i had to use from the doctors, they told me to bath my son in these special ointments twice a day as he was very bad and they are meant to help.  i love johnsons and it is great for my youngest son but no good for my eldest and his eczma (eczema).  

if your little one only has a patch behind his knee, i would just use the aquios cream on it, it helps prevent it drying out even more.  that way you arent having to use any oily things in the bath or very strong creams.  its all about knowing what to put on and when.  i have learnt now with my eldest, when he has a break out of it, if it isnt so bad i just use the aquios cream.  i only use the other prescribed creams when the outbreak is bad.  and that was the doctors advice too.
We did the same as TankerChic, about every 2-3 nights - and I was advised to skip any kind of soap or bath bubbles but mix baking soda into water. It doesn`t look and smell as nice but it made a huge difference. Only when using any kind of baby products, my son developed irritated skin. Eczema he mainly got from regular laundry detergent, so I switched back to infant laundry detergent for many years. A lot of these baby products are full of chemicals that I felt uneasy about.