Maternal & Child Community
how safe are fetal dopplers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

how safe are fetal dopplers

I was just wondering how safe it is to use a fetal doppler? I bought one recently and i don't know how often i can use it and if using it to often can cause any harm to the baby? I love listening to the h/b but am scared that it could hurt the baby thankyou for any comments thankyou
I've never used a home one but I found this:

Constant testing is done by U.S. governmental agencies and no adverse risks to the baby or mother have been detected.  The Mayo clinic states that "In 30 years of regular use, no adverse effects have ever been demonstrated from ultrasound testing.  Research has been done investigating both the noise produced in the utero and the heat produced by ultrasound, and no problems have ever been detected from its use in exposed babies.  There is no reason to feel uncomfortable about the use of ultrasound during pregnancy and there are great benefits to using it."
The FDA does require that you contact your doctor and gain consent prior to using a fetal doppler.

I found it on this site:  http://www.bellybeats.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

I hope this helps.

thankyou it did help. i did tell my dr i was getting a fetal doppler and he thought it was a good idea b/c of all the problems i/ve been having and thought it would help me to fell better about the pregnancy. i just forgot to ask how often you can actually use one.
I have used one with all of my pregnancies. I use it almost every day until I feel the baby moving all the time. I was worried about it too but all the babies were healthy!

If you have had losses they are such a help in cutting the worries everyday. That is why I got one.
very very safe
thankyou and yes i have had one m/c and i almost lost my son at 37 weeks if i didn't happen to have a non stress test that day they said he probably would have died b/c his h.b was decelerating and was in the 80 by the time they started the test so they did an emergency c-section he was also breech. i have a bicornuate uterus and have had a lot of cramping and some bleeding with this one and being able to hear the h/b everyday makes me feel so happy. i am almost 15 weeks and sometimes i feel some flutters but can't wait till i feel actual kicks.