Maternal & Child Community
infertility and antidepressants

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

infertility and antidepressants

Hello all!!!  I have been doing tons of research to find out WHY I am infertile.... I know that is probably everybody's question, but I am checking everything!!!  I have been on antidepressants for about 8 years on and off... (mostly on)...I have panic attacks and have been depressed (you wonder why???) ANYWAY....does being on antidepressants cause infertility????  Could this be my problem??? I would love any insight that anyone has on this....thank you for your time.... Jacquie
Antidepressants can be bad for fertility and trying to conceive. What are you taking? I'm looking in my fertility book. It says that SSRI's and Tricyclic antidepressants can : delay ovulation, cause a weak temp rise, dry up cervical fluid or decrease it, cause hypothyroidism, anovulation and amenorrhea.

I hope that helps. It sounds to me like this could be your problem! DO you monitor cervical fluid or take your temp? Do you know if you ovulate every cycle? If you don't do these things, start taking your temperature and monitoring fluid to see if you are ovulating and pinpoint the problem. Good luck!
i was on anti depressants when i got pregnant.... i dont know why,,,but i was having problems getting pregnant and when i started taking them i was pregnant straight away.....  probably no coincidence wat so ever.. but i just thought it was wierd how i couldnt get preg started taking them and bam!!.. mind u that was with constant b ding every day....lol
i was taking effexor
I was confused by this question as you had previously posted that you got a BFP. I thought that I had made it up, so I have been going through the forum to find it.

Did you have the other blood tests? Are you still taking your antidepressants now?

I think that any form of medication, especially those that deal with replacing or stopping the production of certain hormones have some effect on the human body.

Have you mentioned this to your OB/GYN? I assume you have, have they never mentioned that there could be a connection between the two?
I am sorry. I just read another post of yours and you wrote that you are going to MC.  I am so sorry. I just saw it now. I see the posts the day after, as I am in Europe and I must have missed your last one.

I hope that you are ok.