Maternal & Child Community
leg going numb???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

leg going numb???

I guess to start off I should tell you guys that my doctor had a fit when she found out that I work over 60 hrs a week.  I am 18w preg with a history of m/c.  Lately my right arm and right leg from the knee up have been going numb.  Its mostly my leg but its the weirdest thing.  anyway I went to my ob on Tuesday and she said I need to see a neurologist because this isn't normal for pregnancy.  She is concerned because stroke runs in the family.  I am getting a little nervous.  She has cut my hours at work and I can't work my second job anymore which means we are really financially in trouble.   We were in trouble when i was working a million hours now I don't know what I'm going to do.  I need advice.  Has anyone had this experience with the numbing????
I have numbing in my hands and have read on the internet that it can happen in the legs also.  My dr. said it is due from swelling - due to the increase blood and water in the body.  Veins can swells and sometimes he said it can cause numbing.  My hands get so bad sometimes that kill me - it is worse at night.  

I was actually going to post a similar question today.  The last two night when I lay down on my right side, it feels likes my whole side is going numb.  It is a little scary, but I just figure it is part of pregnancy.  I remember my legs doing with my first if I laid in the same position for a long time, but this time it happens as soon as I lay down.  I am interested to see what everyone thinks of this problem.
I have no words on the numbness, I hope the neurologist is able to put your mind at ease.

Regarding your financial situation.  I highly recommend going to credit counselling services.  They are in just about every town in North America and they give you free financial counselling.  They will help you manage the income you have and will deal with creditors if you are seriously behind.  A fresh pair of eyes may be able to give you valuable insight as to how to maximize what you have.
Thanks for your comments.   I already went to a financial councelor and they consolidated my debt.  We can't afford the morgage so we need to sell our house fast.  We have a place to go and it will cost us way less each month.  We are looking at foreclosure I think.  I don't know what else to do.  I wonder if stress has alot to do with the problems I'm experiencing.  I decided that even if we loose the house to foreclosure, its better than risking the health of me and my baby and better than being miserable over money.  
You were very wise to get counselling.  I hope and pray that your house sells and you are able to avoid foreclosure.  Money troubles are so stressful and I hope your burden is lifted soon.

I feel terrible for you, I went through a similar situation with my third daughter during my pregnancy my husband lost his job after and out of state transfer, we had massive leagal and financial problems and it was so stressful.  THank God I was lucky enough to have had no problems for most my pregnancy but my doctor warned me what stress can do to your body and by the end of the pregnancy I was battling with hypertension issues.  Which brings me to my next point.  During the time when my Bp was rising I was having numbness in my hands, feet and face. I just thought I would mention it I didnt know that could happen and a few doctors didnt make the conneciton.  I hope everything works out for you and your family!  Good luck.
thanks everyone for your posts.  It helps being able to vent.  I'm sure that everything will eventually work out.   Luckily my mother in law is really supportive and has been helping us the best she can.  I just want to hold my baby.  I know that even if I'm broke that will make me feel better.
I also get numnesss in my right leg.I've had it since pregnancy began.I am now 19 wks.I was told by my Dr.(cheif of obgyn) that it was a pinched nerve on my thigh.To sit down prop my leg up and massage it.That works pretty good.It usualy happens when I'm standing long or walk alot.But if you do get seen thats best.Not every one is the same =)Hope you feel better.