little girls vagina closing?
Hello everyone, I used to come on this site, but havent been here for quite some time...good to be back:) well my daughter has a condition were her labia fuse together. Her doctor told me that is should resolve on its own by the time shes 2, and shes 4 now. Her opening is now almost closed. only about 1/4 inch, just enough for the pee to come out. I really didnt pay much attention to it anymore but she was complaining that her "tootie" was hurting, so i took a look and it is about 75% smaller then her sisters (who is two). Anyone had this happen to their child, and if so what other options do are availble to treat this other then ripping it open (the doctor had told me if it closes to rip it open after a bath, i cringe at the thought....seems like a baby episiotomy to me)

Morgan
I'd talk to another doctor before doing that.  I hope someone responds who knows about this.
I would speak to a doctor and have them refer you somewhere like a urologist.  I think this is almost like the same issue that boys have.  The uriologist told me with my son that it should open before he was 4, but that was due to erections, which would obviously not happen for a girl.  They told me if it didnt happen before he was 5 than they would put him to sleep and cut it.  they said it was a minor surgery.  thankfully, his did rip on its own with no problems so I didnt have to do the surgery.  when making the apointment, try to find a pediatric urologist.  
Im not going to "rip it open" i refuse lol, no way, Ive been wondering about this for 4 years, i didnt even know what it was called, but sure enough i find an article on it this morning...guess i should have waited to post lol, but ill share what i found out in case you guys are curious, it said that most the time when little girls start producing estrogen the "labial adhesion" opens, unfortunatly my little girls has not, it says that she may need estrogen cream to put on the area and it should open up in a few weeks. Im a little apprehensive to use the estrogen on her tho, it says it might make her develop breast tissue (which i admit freaks me out a bit)

Thanks girls!
We used Premarin for our dd when this happened (she was less than a year, I think).  You use so little of it to get the labia's to open there is really no danger in developing breast tissue from using it, yes it is estrogen based.  You use barely a droplet since where you are placing it is a very small spot.  The labias will split more and more each day and you encourage it a little, but not a "rip".  It took less than 2 weeks to resolve for our dd and her's were almost totally fused.
thats great news! is it over the counter or perscription?
Prescription, unfortunately.  I would make a return visit to your pediatrician and if it is not offered, ask for some.  It really was very simple to fix.... and as far as long-term effects... none except her labia's have a slightly darker color in one place and that's not very obvious.

I used a q-tip to apply and then gently stretched the area for a moment or two (not hard just enough to encourage the labia's to come apart) about twice a day... I think.  It's been almost 5 years, but it was very easy to do.  You'll see it "zipper" for lack of better term ... when it starts to come apart.  Then you only apply it to where the labias are still together.

We had to watch to make sure it didn't close again because she was still in diapers, but that shouldn't be an issue for your child.

Good luck!!!  
Thanks! I will try the q-tip thing, cant get an appointment until next monday