Maternal & Child Community
pap test...6 months???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pap test...6 months???

okay my 6 weeks checkup was oct 30th and i just got a phone call from my ob's secretery saying i need to repeat the pap test in 6 months what does this mean??? it doesnt sound too good to me...
Did you just have your baby?  After I had my son they made me do two paps that year.  Just that one year though.  I have had a anual pap comeback weird, but they sent it off for further testing and all was fine.  I wouldn't worry about it, especially if they didn't mention anything was questionable.  Maybe ask for a nurse to call you back and then she may have more answers then a receptionist.
yeh its a little worrysome you know...she just said that the pap came back and it said to go for another one in 6 months so...i mean ive heard of my friends going through that and they had something wrong with their cervix...i know cancer runs in my family like crazy and its really beginning to scare me....

and yes i just had my baby about 11 weeks ago...

thank you soo much for relying i will make an appt asap
My ObGyn wouldn't even give me a pap (I'd asked for it to get it over with for the year) at my 6 week check-up.  He said that I needed to have at least one AF before doing so, as false + results are far more common if done earlier after having a baby.  My general pract. dr said the same thing when I asked several months later (went in for a different reason and figured why not ask?)-- said you need to wait until after you've shed the lining with an AF after childbirth.

Turns out I got pg again before ever having an AF (6 mo. after my 1st was born and started to wean), so I never got a pap until during one of my pregnancy exams around 18 wks.

I agree with Mom2be530, if they were really concerned they probably wouldn't make you wait so long for another test, but you can always call and double check if it'll put your mind at ease.
im going to call to make an appt with my doc...not my ob since thats what they said and i had just finished my period when i went to see my ob i bled 2weeks and almost 28 days later had a period ive had 2 period since my son has been born and he is 11 weeks
thanks alot though..i know i am not pregnant unless im getting my period and all but yeah there should be no reason for it now anyways lol...im on the pill as of a month and am currently on my second cycle and i had taken the after pill when my son was 4 weeks old...as well since then i have taken 2 pregnancy tests both were negative and i ended up getting my period thurs n just finished yesterday which was monday lol
I did not get a pap at my 6 week after my first son because I had a tough delivery and was still healing.  When I did get my pap it was abnormal.  I had to go back every 3 months, then 6 months till all was clear and went through 2 cryo treatments.  Scared me a bit, but all was fine and I was told that it's common to get abnormal results afte having a baby.  Call the nurse to ease your mind and get another appt.  They are looking out for your best interests I bet.  Good luck.
i had a c-sec, and he did a pap when i was 4 months pp, though that's about when i was due anyways. he said to come back in 6 months before he even got the results, but apparently that's how often he does them. all my results came back normal. i never heard of anyone doing them regularly every 6 months, but he does. i don't know if i'll go that often though...
I had to go back after my second child as there was still too much blood so the pap was inaccurate.  It may depend on your bleeding. They had me wait about 2 months and come back again and everything was totally fine.  I'm sure it's fine or she would have had you come in immediately.