Maternal & Child Community
postpartum preeclampsia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

postpartum preeclampsia

One week after I gave birth to my third child, I developed a headache that lasted 12 days until I finally called my doctor. I took Lortab to take the edge off, but it didn't get rid of my headache.  My blood pressure had been fine,  as I was monitoring it at home (I have a history of borderline high blood pressure).  It had been running high a few days before they induced my labor and had admitted me to monitor it for a few hours before it went down. The day I finally called my doctor, my blood pressure was 140/105. They admitted me and put me on magnesium.  My pressure eventually dropped to 50/20 and I fainted.  It gradually went back up to about 140/95 and they kept me on the magnesium for a total of 30 hours.  My headache went away after about 15 hours. They finally released me three days later with a prescription for low dose blood pressure medication and my pressures have been fine.  Now my headache comes back off and on.  They diagnosed me as having postpartum preeclampsia. My question is, could this really be what I had? I had no other symptoms,  such as swelling.  This was my third child,  which is very rare to develop this condition. My headache includes pain on the right side of my neck. This is one of the symptoms of headache after having an epideral, which I had. I was told that probably wasn't the cause of my headache because it didn't start until one week later, though I read on a website that it can begin up to 8 days later. Also, my headache is back now.  Could it be because I was misdiagnosed and the cause is from the epidural?