Maternal & Child Community
pushing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

pushing

The past couple nights I have been waking up three and four times a night pushing like I'm having the baby.  It is really uncomfortable and I can't seem to stop once I wake up and am aware of it.  I'm not in any pain though.  I am 33 weeks and have been having a ton of Braxton Hicks.  Is this just practice too?  Has anyone else experienced this?
I've never heard of someone waking up at night pushing, actually.  I guess you're dreaming you are pushing the baby out????
Hmmm...I have not heard of this either officially but I do remember a feeling like that during the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. I had a large baby and the only way he arranged himself in there was somewhat diagonally, kind of wedged in between the left ribs and the right ovaries...Occasionally he moved a little and when his head was straight down, I often went into panic mode because it was an enormous push, probably just his head squishing my bladder but I was not so sure either if the birthing event was just about to start...It may be just your baby`s position.
I know what your talking about! I had the same thing about a week ago and still to this day(I'm now 38 weeks) and I seriously thought I was going crazy.  For me, it was that there was SO much pressure that it felt like my body was starting to push and I had no control over it.  It was a little scary because I thought something was wrong since I wasn't having any contractions. It was pretty intense. My doctor told me to come in to check my cervix cause it was possible that I was in labour. But I was still closed, so he wasn't worried.  I guess our little ones are playing games or something.  I'd tell your doctor next time your in, just incase. But from my experience, it seems normal. It just sucks :O(
it doesnt seem like i am dreaming because i am waking up and it is still going on.  I guess i could be dreaming and physically acting it out.  the more i think about it it seems more like i am just pushing my stomach out.  like if you wanted to make your stomach look fat (when you arent pregnant).  i figure if i was actually pushing i would have wet the bed, at the least.  this is just so weird.  thanks again!
that makes sense.  i have thought for a while that he was in there diagonally.  thanks ladies.
oh i feel so much better.  i really thought i was going crazy.  i didnt think i was dreaming but i wasnt going to rule anything out.  I'll definately talk to her next week.  Thanks!