safe to consume when pregnant
I posted on an earlier link but only got one reply
does anyone know wheather echinacea is safe to drink when pregnant, I have been searching everywhere for rasberry tea but could only get the one that also has echinacea in it too.
I am hoping the rasberry will do its job in toning my uterus ready for labour, but does anyone know of any adverse/positive effects of echinacea?
please use as open forum too
hugs
xxx
I'm surprised you had trouble finding red raspberry leaf tea.  I can find it in a lot of places.  Yogi teas and Traditional Medicinals both make it.  Did you check health food stores?  You can also order it from many places online.  If you find pregnany teas they are usually red raspberry leaf with nettle (great for iron!) and other herbs.  I'm sorry I can't answer your question about echinacea.  I just don't know.
thanks for your responses, its nearing the end of my pregnancy and I gotta be honest I am starting to fold, I have been drinking real tea and coffee the last week or so, not the decaf stuff, and I feel the rasberry would be a great in between drink! But as I said the only one I have is the one mixed with echi.
Oh well a couple more weeks and its back to eating and drinking any old rubbish I like!!! yeehaa!!
hugs to all
xxx
I am not sure about echinacea being safe. I would say not to take it (drink it). I used to take Airborne & my Dr told me not to take it B/C of all the herbes in it. I just don't think they know enough about it yet.
During my last pregnancy, my Dr. looked up echinacea in his journal of safe herbs to take while pregnant, and said it was not a problem.  I think I was in the 2nd or 3rd trimester at the time and needed to take something to conquer a cold.

Here's a short article that confirms the safety.  http://www.childbirthsolutions.com/articles/news/echinacea.php

Good Luck!
I actually went to a website to check this out, most said that there was no known reason to not be able to have it especially after the first trimester.  The only concerns tend to be for those who take medication for immune deficiency problems.  So I think you should be safe, but maybe just google it, so you can read it for yourself.  Good luck with the little one when they arrive.
thanx so much for the link, I shall make a brew of the echi and rasberry tea right away!
hugs
xxx