Maternal & Child Community
sleeper question - footies or no footies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Okay, this might seem like stupid questions to some people but I'm really curious what everyone else is doing.  

Okay, Jacob is now in the 9 to 12 month size.  Except for the fleece sleepers, the regular cotton type stop at 6 to 9 months (at least everywhere I have looked).  For 9 to 12 months you either have to go fleece or two piece PJs without the footies in'em.  Oklahoma weather is all over the place. It can be 75 one day and 25 the next.  The fleece seems so heavy with the heater on, so I would rather just use cotton but what do you about their feet getting cold?  Does everyone put their babies to bed with socks on?? I put a small light weight blanket in the crib with him (now, didn't before) but it rarely stays on him.  I know so people use the sleep sacks but for some reason I have avoided that rout.  

What is everyone else doing for sleep wear?  
I prefer footies.  Children's Place has footed cotton sleepers in 12 and 18 months sizes.  They are zip ups, though, and I prefer snaps.  Look online if you don't have a store close by you.  
My favorite pj's were the ones that had open feet that could fold over. Essentially they were convertible ;-)

For the most part, we went without feet as my kids would overheat too quickly, even in the chilly northwest. We stuck with socks that could go off and on as needed.

I know it is not near as fancy, but Wal-Mart sells footie pajamas up through size 8 in boys, so finding baby ones would not be an issue.
Are the ones at Wal Mart cotton?  I don't like putting fleece on dd cause I can't find any that aren't fire retardant.  I wouldn't mind braving the WM crowds if they have cotton.

Where did you find the convertibles?  They sound cool.
Until our son was old enough for pajamas with tops and bottoms, we used a long-sleeved onesie and a zip-up sleepsack.  No blanket, the sleepsack did it all.  He did fine with the cotton onesie to absorb any sweat, and his feet were always warm.
i have the one piece with the feet.  i keep it rather cool while we sleep because i cant sleep when its warm so it works out great for her.  however!  i like the ones wth the elastic at the ankle because the others get stretched out and she trips over them while walking around the table.  also when caleb was in them and his feet didnt fit or his legs were too long i cut them off just after the elastic lol.  maybe okie but they made it through the season.  im getting so annoyed my computer is popping up all kinds of advertisements!!
Oh, I have no idea what the WM ones are...my kids don't like the footies,lol!

To be honest, the fold-over ones were bought when my oldest was a newborn and that was almost 7 years ago. They lasted through the third boy and then were donated. I have no idea where I bought them. They were not a Wal-Mart buy, I believe they were an online purchase.

Brooke-I used the sleep sacks with CJ, he was the only one who liked those, I has some that were open at the bottom and some that zipped up completely. My dh always called them "baby-in-a-bag" My favorite one is a super thing, but oh-so-soft one that reminded me of Sweet Pea on Popeye. I have that in my box of clothes I kept from the baby stage of life.

CHildrens Place, Carters & Costco carry cotton jammies with footies. I like them year round till about 18 months! BUT we are also in FL :)
I had Noah last night (7 mo, my grandson, Illinois - so cold) and mommy sent him in a fleece with feet.  He got so hot that I changed him at midnight into a two piece cotton and then i put his sox on.  He just seems so much more comfortable.  But, I think maybe the cotton with feet would be okay too.  He is a restless sleeper, so I think a sack would end up all wrapped up....

This IS a discussion mommy and I have had.  She is worried his feet will get cold and I think it wakes him up cuz he is too hot, so I just go with what mommy says...well until last night! HA!

First tooth BTW!  YEAH!
Andi:  Snugabye is the name up here in Canada for those convertible feetsie things...They have been around since my 1st was born...he is now 10!  They were very good, excpet my ds(s) were both so long and extreme Wigglers, they never fit right.  My dd is SUCH a FUSS POT...she will have no part of sleepers with feet in them,  she literally cries and tries to get her foot out....I think she has issues!!  (she is also almost 2 !!)  LOL
My only suggestion for the "FEET" in sleepers would be if your baby is approaching the Walking age... to MAKE sure they have a GRIPPER on the bottom of the feet.  

I put Sofia  in cotton and if they don't have feet, then I just put her to bed with socks :-)  The fleece gets her too hot :-(
I like the cotton footed ones also. I'm just not able to find then in sizes larger 9 months.  We don't have costco here but I'll try the childrens place.  I've been avoiding the mall but might as well get it over with. :)
I love the sleepers with footies because dd pulls her socks off. Does anyone know where to find XL sleep sacks? They seem to be a hard item to find. It is so cold here now and dd doesn't stay covered with a blanket. I only use the knitted ones with holes because I am so paranoid but she always wiggles out from under them.
Hannah,
I switch between the cotton footies and the fleece footies depending on how cold it seems.  I wonder the same thing.  Is he too hot in the fleece??  Is he too cold in the others?  I always use the footies though.  I think you might have to brave WalMart and see what they have.  Rhett's cotton ones are 9 months so I'm not even sure if I can find any more in a bigger size where I live. I know some of the cotton sleepers I found were at Costco and came in all sizes.  
Happy Thanksgiving by the way sweetie. Give Jakie poo a big kiss for me!
Grow bag do sleeping bags up to a newborn size up to 6 years old! I'm sure you will be able to find them online.
Baby Gap do (or did last year anyways) cotton sleepers with feet in up to 2 years old but I always put mine in 2 pc PJ's at 1, found it easier for diaper changes.