Maternal & Child Community
testing fetal tissue after d

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

testing fetal tissue after d

I had an 8-week ultrasound yesterday at which it was discovered that the embryo measured only 6 wks 4 days, no heartbeat. The same thing happened with my last pregnancy.

My ob/gyn has scheduled me for a d&c on Friday, and has recommended chromosomal testing of the fetal tissue. However, my insurance doesn't cover either, and last year my d&c was very expensive. I've heard that the testing can be even more -- around $1000. I'd prefer to skip the d&c altogether and have a medical m/c with RU-486 to save money to start seeing an RE.

How valuable is the information gained from testing? Wouldn't the most likely scenario be that chromosomal abnormalities be discovered (especially given my age - 35)? How would this tell us if the same thing would be likely to recur in the future?

My dr. had mentioned that both partners' blood can be tested to find out whether one or both of us is passing on a chromosomal translocation. Would this be more valuable than having the fetal tissue tested? Or are both pieces of information necessary? (When I asked my dr. the first question, he simply said "no" and didn't seem open to discussion. I've also called the RE I'm scheduled to visit, but they were unable to legally tell me anything until I'm officially a patient. )

Also, does anyone know any statistics on the likelihood that my RPL is caused by a genetic translocation that's consistently being passed from either myself or my DH? Does the fact that growth stopped at the same time with both losses make this more likely? (I also had a 3rd loss, very early (4 wks).)

Thank you so much
I am really sorry that you are going thru this and for all your losses.  I am not able to advise you on any of your questions cos i just dont know but wanted to extend my deepest sympthy for you at this time and I hope you have a great support group around you to help you thru this time ahead.  I will opinionate that the questions seem a little harder than the usual and I know there are a couple of nurses on the site so maybe AnnieBrooke could give text book answers???  I guess regarding the cost and shuld it be done is up to you and what you can offord and want in the end....I know there are alot of couples out there that want a child regardless of cost and if it has happend more than twice would desperately want answers and if testing was going to give them piece of mind and a better chance of a baby in the future then they would just do it....this is not always necessarily the best approach as I dont think ppl should go into financial ruines so like i said this 'shuld you folk out the funds' is all dependant on your afforability and what answers you need emotionally out of this, if any???  All the best and I hope that someone is able to provide you with what you need explained!  thinking of you Friday and hope all goes well for the future. ((hugs))
I am currently waiting for the results of my chromosome testing ( just had the blood drawn this tuesday) and you are correct, my RE said it can cost up to $1000 per person, so if you and your partner (dh, dbf, df) are going to both get tested it will probably cost somewhere around $2,000.  It may be cheaper to do the genetic testing after a d&c, but I'm not sure how much a d&c costs.  I believe you can have one or the other, my RE prefers to test the products of conception but if that's not possible he does the blood test.  I just had my third consecutive m/c, and just wanted to tell you how sorry I am that you are having to go through this again.  Just remember, we are always here to help and support you if you need it.  Good luck and take care of yourself.
If your doctor isn't talking to you about different options, maybe you could try to find a new doctor who will at least explain things better or discuss issues with you. You could also do some research on Progesterone problems. I'm definitely not a doctor so please don't put too much into what I say, but I've known a lot of ladies who have early m/s (about 6 or 7 weeks etc) that have had very low progesterone levels. If tahts the case, it can be easily cared for by taking pills etc.
I'm sorry for your losses, I had a m/c last year and my heart goes out to you.
Fortunately for me, my insurance covers chromosomal testing.  However, if it didn't, I'm not sure I'd reccomend it.  Here are the results from my three miscarriages.

June 2004 - Partial mole  The only thing they had to autopsy was the placenta.

September 2005 - Baby girl, measured 9 weeks 4 days when her heart stopped.  Did chromosomal testing.  Were not able to determine anything.

March 2006 - Baby girl, measured 13 weeks 6 days when her heart quit.  Chromosomal testing determined that it was Downs Syndrome.

It seems that the earlier the baby passes, the more difficult to find anything.  They did say that if the middle baby would have had Down's, they would have been able to tell.

$1,000 is a lot of money to have to pay if there is a possibility that they won't find anything.  Even if they can determine the cause, doesn't mean it will repeat itself.  I am 35 and after the 3rd miscarriage, my husband and I met with a genetics counselor to determine if we had some type of issue.  They determined that it was just bad luck.  

I am currently pregnant (just pregnant) again with my last try.  Even though I've had one confirmed Down's baby and I am 35, I still have a 98.5% chance of having a healthy baby.  Whatever happens, I do have two healthy children and am happy about that.

I'm very sorry you are going through this.  It is horrible.

Good luck.
I am sooo sorry for the pain you are going through.  I do not have any advice for you, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.  (((HUGS)))
Very sorry for your loss. Anything you can find out is worth it. I just had m/c yesterday and passed sac. I went straigh to the ER. I live in a very small town and there is no pathologist. So it is being sent to Tuscon 3 hours away for testing. I did this through the ER who did not even quesstion the cost or my insurance coverage. Good Luck.