Maternal & Child Community
testosterone injections for hypospadias surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Does anyone have any experience with an infant son having testosterone injections? Brody was born with hypospadias and apparently, the protocol here at Mayo is to give testosterone injections to increase penis size so it's a larger area to operate on. His surgery is scheduled for July 9th. I'm really freaked out by the thought of this and don't know what to expect. I am hoping someone has experience with this and can tell me what they experienced. Thank you!
Wow!  I don't know a thing about it.

If Mayo is doing it, it must surely be ok?

Just don't let him over exercise and get all buff looking.  Muscle-y infants don't look right.  
*silently prays Jen doesn't take offense at Peeks wacky sense of humor*
:D No Peek, trust me, Ben and I have had our own share of humor over this. We make jokes about how we're going to go get him out of his crib and he's going to say "Hey baby!" In a really deep, Barry White voice! Or, start trying to pick up chicks!

I'm sure Mayo knows what they're doing, but I just worry how it will affect him and what I will see in his diaper! Kind of freaks me out a bit. Wish I knew someone who went through it. Oh well...we'll find out soon enough. He gets his injection in an hour.
*breathes sigh of relief*

Ask Mayo if he can use their fitness center.

Seriously, I hope it all goes well.  Let us know.  
Hey Jen, the thing I try to tell myself, is that in this day and age of numerous malpractice suits, Doctors, more than ever, are EXTREMELY cautious about what they do. They absolutely err on the side of caution all the time. They HAVE to, to protect themselves. SO, that always makes me feel a little better.

I think its great you can use humor in situations like this.I keep chuckling over the image of Brody saying, "Hey baby!" in Barry Whites voice!

Is it just temporary---the increase in penis size? Does it go back to baby size after the injections are discontinued?
Jenn,My prayers for Brody.Hope everything goes well!
Jenny - I can't help but laugh at your last comment.  You're too funny.

I'm sure it won't have much of an effect.  I know that once the injections stop, the test goes back to normal levels.  

Good luck to your little Barry White....lol.
Mami--LOL well I wasn't sure......:)
LOL...well, he got the injection a few hours ago, and so far, no Barry White :D I guess we might see a little bit of hair growing down there though-temporarily. YIKES! His appetite might increase and he might be a little more hyper or aggressive but other than that and the increase in penis size (which is temporary, only to be able to operate on it) they said there shouldn't be much more for side effects. We shall see...
Wait...are you serious about hair growing on it or are you joking...??? I can't picture that on a tiny baby.Really? I'm not sure what is a joke and what is true now!!! LOL
Hope he's doing well jen!!!
NO, I'm not joking!! The nurse said that some parents have reported some black hairs growing in that region!! How weird would that be! It's temporary, but still!! I'll just be glad when this is all said and done!
OMG....that's so strange.  Yeah, watch it, he might make the hubby a little jealous...lol.  No seriously, that's kind of weird to see your baby going through puberty.  Well just look at it as a temporary situation.  It will be over soon enough.
OMG!  He'll have quite the baby pictures to be remembered by, if he gets a full beard as well.
Jen - don't worry your son is in good hands at Mayo - in my opinion, the best!!  That's one of the good things about living in MN - good health care and Mayo a short drive away!  I wouldn't worry at all - those doctors know what they are doing there!!  Good luck - poor little guy!!
Jen, I didn't know Brody was getting his injection today. Nor did I know his surgery was approaching so rapidly! Time surely is flying, isn't it?! I hope Brody's doing ok with the injection and I know he'll do great with the surgery...he's a little trooper! :)
Well, Brody woke up with a full beard, so we taught him how to trim it. It's a goatee now and looks great! Haha...JK. In all seriousness...he was a challenge last night! He was very irritable all night long! He was fighting us when we were trying to get him to calm down. 5 weeks of this? Good Lord...

Ruby-amazing that he will be a year old in about 5 weeks. I cannot believe it!! I can't wait until this surgery is over. I hope it doesn't interfere with his development. He has been doing so well! He's nearly walking, he's talking up a storm (babbling and telling babble stories) and just a joy to be around. He's such a great baby!! How is Maxer?
The aggression sets in so fast...wow.  Maybe it will even out during the injection process and he won't be as irritable.  At least I hope it does.  

I like the goatee look...very hip....lol.
Maybe it was just a coincidence...I'm not sure. He sure seemed much more irritable and strong!
You should photoshop something and post pictures of him and his goatee!
Hey-take a look!

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/jenshim/bigbrody-1.jpg[/IMG]

:D
Oops, this works. That doesn't.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/jenshim/bigbrody-1.jpg
LOL....too funny.  That's perfect.
Too cute! He's sooo big!!!
Hi!! my son is also getting the hypospadius surgery on june 16th. i'm also worried about the surgery he is only 7 mths old. anyways, he got his testosterone injection 2 days ago and i got the phone call today that the doctor gave him 200 mg (adult dosage) instead of 10 mg what he was supposed to get. i'm really freaking out!! he said he is in no danger just he will have the side effects for maybe 1-2 mths!!! we are very upset with this and are worried if he will be ok to go through with the surgery. I am trying to also find out what to expect with this surgery. my doctor said this surgery is safe she is only worried about infection occurring with the tube they have to put in. well, i hope everything goes well for you, and me too !! :o)
That picture is hilarious!!! He is getting so big!! He is really cute.
I'm so glad someone else is going through this! Well, not glad, but glad someone understands! I would love to hear what your experiences are with your son and the testosterone. I would be IRATE if they gave the wrong dose! I would also be concerned if this doctor is capable of doing the surgery, since he didn't even know how much to give him!!

Have you noticed anything with your son yet? Ours is very irritable and won't sleep! He's also slapping us a lot.
Jen--Too funny!

Vaness32--UNBELIEVABLE!  Get documentation of this.  Keep it.  This could be serious down the road, how the heck do they know what will happen decades later?
my son had his first testosterone injection on may 27th, his surgery is scheduled for july 8th.  He was already very strong and after his testosterone injection he seems to think hes super man now.  I have also experienced the constant slapping and rebilloiusness, he'll go up to bigger kids and just pull them down and start slapping, if my wife or I am lying on the floor he'll come up sit on top of us and smack smack smack, you yell and say no,(something he usually responds to by immedietly stopping and crying) and he laughs and does it some more, smack his hands and say no and he laughs and does it some more its crazy, and to think he may need to get on more injection I as a father am so confused on how I can discipline him now because he doesnt listen to a thing.  naps have become shorter, bed time gets later and usually never without a fight anymore, but hes still so sweet and adorable at times, its like dr jeykl and mr hyde. Hes even began growling as he hits like he knows hes being bad. I am very scared for this surgery, i think i'm getting more worked up then I need to be but it feels so bad to know they are going to go through something like that and theres nothing i am going to be able to do to ease the pain and theres no way to know the side effects in the future from after the surgery because every patient responds differently.  I am sure everything will turn out fine and I am glad I finally found some people talking about this, I;ve been looking on the internet and all I find is scary articles cautioning against having the surgery, but never blogs from people who are going through it or have gone through it with their children.  Best of luck, David Martin
I have a 15 month old son that had hypospadias surgery in December. It went great. He has been tested for hormone response and the doctor says he is normal in that respect too. She now wants to put him on testosterone for three months to see if it will give him more penis length. She said to discuss this with hubby. She said that it may or may not help him at this age, that usually it is done when they are under 6 months old. Well no one mentioned it til now. I am scared. My boy is so sweet and I don't want this changing his mood or making him mean. Any suggestions?
I have a 3 month old son who just had his 3rd injection of testosterone. He seems to be a bit irritated after each shot. This time has been the worst. He kicks his legs in complete frustration and his face turns bright red. We noticed that after about 2 weeks he calms down . He has sever Hypospadias . His urethra is located under his penis and he also has a urethra at the tip of his penis. He pees out of two holes. WOW, very cool story for the later years.   Until Joe, we had never heard of hypospadias. Like most of you I've been searching for information online . Everything was so confusing at first , the Doctors at the hospital said not to give him a name because they could not determine his sex . Later he was confirmed a boy. We will meet with the urologist next week to discuss surgery. We are nervous about surgery however I'd feel bad if he had to sit and pee for the rest of his life or pee standing sideways because of the curve of his penis. We've been to the endocrinologist, and the geneticists so far. Joe is being tested for AIS. Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome. Has anyone else's babies been tested or has AIS?  What a lost of info to take in. I'm so glad to have other parents to share this with.
Brody's hypospadias surgery went well...except for I don't really like how one side of his penis looks now that it is healing. The effects of the testosterone have worn off now, thank God. It was not fun dealing with that.

Our son was tested for everything under the sun, so I'm sure he was tested for AIS. Although, he has a rather large (Daddy is proud of this!) size so there was no question about his gender when he was born. He had a mild form of hypospadias with the "hole" right on the underside of the head. We are very happy with the new "hole" but there is quite a bit of scar tissue on one side and quite a curve to his right. Hopefully this lessens as he grows or we may consider a second surgery for cosmetic reasons. Maybe that is something he can decide when he gets older though.

Good luck with your son. I know it is not easy when they have to go through testing and procedures. Matter of fact, it's heartbreaking!
my son is 5 now and is after having 3 operations so far on his penis.. he also had a hypospadius repair op twice .. the first op went fine but the second one nearly led me to a breakdown because of the pain he was in... he is goin for his last appointment on aug 10th so hopefully no more operations ...he never had hormone injections thou... hope fully ur son wont need any more operations.
Our son is 5 years old and is going in for his 4th hypospadias surgery.  We live in Mpls and have been investigating various surgeons and techniques for operating.  Each surgeon seems to have a different opinion of what needs to be done.  The surgeon we feel most comfortable with in his bedside manner and thoroughness is suggesting hormone (testasterone) treatment prior to surgery.  Another surgeon said that this will hinder his growth down the road.  The thought of these injections makes my husband and I very uncomfortable.  We are schedule to go forward with a surgery requiring no hormone therapy, but are worried we are making the wrong decision.  We really like the other surgeon, just are not comfortable with the use of testasterone.  Does anyone have any further knowledge of the long-term safety of testasterone treatments in children and whether it will mean less growth down the road?
my son is 26months old and is going for his surgrey on the 4th of nov and here is sarnia ont they dont give testasterone injections weird ...
did know thats was from so long ago ... how is ur son brody doing now??? im still so scared for my son :( i hope he only has to go through this one time
Hi Jen,
I just found your post and am curious to know how Brody made out with his injections and surgery. My son has the same condition and had his first testosterone shot today...he will have 2 more shots before his surgery in June 2013. I LOVE that u can find humor in such a difficult situation :)
my son has hypospadia too, and our doctor wants to give him hormone injections. I have alot of trepidation about this. He assures us that the effects are temporary. Our son is 10 months now and will be undergoing hormone treatment for two months prior to surgery. Can you tell me how the hormones effected your son. Mine is so sweet, everyone comments on how good natured he is. He is also a great sleeper. I am totally freaked out about muddling with his good-nature. Did you observe significant behavioral changes in your son? How long did they last? Were his sleeping patterns altered? Are you glad that you went through with the hormone treatments? Are you glad you went through with the surgery?
Help please. I really need some input from people who have been down this road.

Thanks,
Aria