Maternal & Child Community
to stop prelabor. please answer me.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

to stop prelabor. please answer me.

i am not dialated, but have a softer cervix my doc says and i am having lots of contractions. so she gave me nifedipine 30mg. generic for procardia. does that sound right? i did a research on it and it says "not safe during pregnancy" and it says nothing about stopping contractions. could the pharmacy have made a mistake? and the bottle is full. am i supposed to finish teh bottle? my doctor is busy now that i am calling her. i have to take the med but i am hesitant now. waiting for some response. thank you.
call the pharmacy and make sure, they will be able to tell you what the medication is for, i was perscribed tributaline to stop my preterm labor, and when i looked it up online it said it was asthma medication, so it doesnt mean that the medication is necessarily bad, its smart that you recognized it and reserched it before you took it, because i have taken medication from my doctor when i was nursing and it ended up hurting the baby, so for sure call the pharmacy and your doctor to make sure its what its suposed to be
It looks like nifedipine is used sometimes to prevent uterine contractions although that isnt its main indication (its typically used to treat high blood pressure):

http://health.yahoo.com/other-other/nifedipine-for-preterm-labor/healthwise--hw221970.html

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/484260

In any case, I agree with taysmommy and give your pharmacist a call to double check.
how far along are you?
No, it's not a mistake. Take it as directed by your doctor.
i called the pharmacist, he said its right and to take it. i am almost 33weeks.
We use it all the time to stop preterm contractions.