Maternal & Child Community
vaginal herpes during pregnancy???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

vaginal herpes during pregnancy???

Hi, I am 5 months pregnant and noticed small fluid filled blisters in a group, they went away in about 3 days but left the skin raw, is located at the top of the vagina.  It itches a bit and looks like it is trying to heal.  No crusty scabs jsut  one puss looking one that covers the dime size area.  No painful urination or any other symptoms, never had this before and thought that if it were herpes my dr would have detected it at first prental visit tests or at my last pap smear. Could this be herpes? Or some other infection due to hormones?
It could be herpes, and you need to have it checked.  This may be your first outbreak, but the virus (if it's indeed a herpes) might have been in your body for a long time.  Once I saw a program on Discovert health channel, where a lady was giving birth with a herpes outbreak in her vagina, and doctors were extremely precautious because it can cause serious problems during birth.  I don't mean to scare you or anything like that, but be very careful. Unfortunately my husband has it sometimes, and my np warned me very seriously to use protection whenever he feels it's attacking. Anyway, there might be more sorts of herpes, and you're not sure yet if that's what you're dealing with, just wanted to share what I know about it.  Good luck and keep me posted, I'm really interested in your case!!
Hey! i agree w/ Ildike, definitely get it checked out.  Herpes during delivery CAN affect your baby and you definitely want to have your doctor aware, for your safety and your baby's safety! Good luck to you! =)
I don't think so, but when I was filling out the papers at the first prenatal visit I remember a question about herpes.  I'm not sure if they check for it in your bloodtest or papsmear.
so do they not screen or check for this when they check for the other std's at your first visit or at papsmear apt.?
i will let you know about my situation, i have genital herpes. ive had since i was 19. when i was 21 i had to have a c-section because of the complications to the baby that could have happened. my ex boyfriend at the time was cheating on me with his ex girlfriend. but 3 days later after having sex with him i found out that i had herpes. well i left him and him and his new girlfriend had a child that she delivered naturally  and the child is 5 years old now and had to wear glasses since she was three. i read up about herpes and the danger signs and one of them is eye problems. when i had my two children after that i made sure to tell my dr. and we both thought that c- section was the best alternative. because we didnt know if i would have an outbreak while delivering and we both knew the dangers of having a child while there is an outbreak far inside the vagina that woulndt be detectable while giving birth. i hope this helps you a little but be sure you get to the dr before you blisters go away so they can do the tests on you to make sure it really is herpes.
if you need to talk ny add is ***@****
Unfortunately the only way to be diagnosed with herpes is during an outbreak. There is no blood test to diagnose it. I have also read that it is best to do a c-section, just to err on the side of caution.

Andrea
thanks a lot ..went to doc and found out that my partner had a coldsore on his mouth  that (not quite visible yet and gave it to me..(down there) so its not genital herpes.
Technically you do. Once it goes below the belt, it is genital herpes. The doctor should monitor you and keep an eye on it.

A lot of people have genital herpes and have gotten by receiving oral sex from a partner who had a cold sore. The most important thing is to avoid passing it on and to treat the outbreaks when they occur  : )

Andrea
they said it wasnt type 2, which is usually genital kind that it was the type one ppl get on their mouths
Like I mentioned though, it can be passed between the 2 areas. Keep an eye on it, happened to my MIL recently, she had a cold sore and spread it.

Andrea
I am nearly 7 months pregnant and I am terrified. I was dignosed with herpes about 2 months before I became pregnant and until about a month ago I had only had one outbreak now it seems like I am getting one every other week I dont know what to do