Maternal & Child Community
what does REAL labor feel like???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what does REAL labor feel like???

I just started today w/ my 1/2days at work. I am 34w3d, (i work for my dad so it was easy to tell him i had to start cutting my hours and  getting off at lunch time.) PLUS when i start to go to the dr every week (@36w) it will be on a monday so no point to even work mondays (going in to the drs @9-930 and getting out at 1030 then going to work and getting off at 12 just didnt make since to me) so he said ok, and he will do anything so his first grandchild isnt hurt. (i love my daddy) but anyways. the reason i had to cut my hrs is:::
1)if yall have followed my few post i have posted, i wasnt able to get my last projestrone shot at my last visit so my real last shot was on my 33wk visit. lasted untill 34weeks and now i am reliing on luck that she will stay put for a few more weeks.
2)i have been having "stabbing" pains in my girly area. to where i have to stop what ever i am doing and cross my legs and bend over.
3)i dont know if they are TRUE contractions or what. my little girl balls up in a ball and my belly gets hard and it hurts just a little. (that has been happing for 3-4days.) not getting any stronger or anything, or consistance.
I have asked my mom and she doesent rememeber anything like that. she said it could be because she had back labor w/ all three of us. and my husbands grandmother said she always had back labor too. so i dont have a clue of what the heck is going on????
Thanks ladies.
real labor feels like menstrual cramps, but only worse.... at least that's how I felt... and they don't go away even if you change positions or rub your belly.
The stabbing pains are probably more from the weight of the uterus/baby or it could be that your baby has "dropped" and it's head down and that is causing you some discomfort. Labor pains can start off mild but grow in intensity and they don't stop. It feels like waves of pain traveling from your back to your stomach, tightening during the wave of pain. In real labor, you get to the point where it is difficult to talk during contractions-it almost takes your breath away. Your body will most likely have some practice contractions before the real deal too.
when my "real" contractions started, i felt like i needed to get up and bonuce aroung, sounds weird, but thats the only way i know how to explain it, mine didnt feel like menstral cramps, as they get closer and stronger, you wont be able to walk through them, i felt like they took my breath away,  and you really dont want to know what they feel like later;)

and i felt those stabbing pains too, it almost felt like a fingernail poking me in my cervix, but i had those way before labor, probably at about where you are now, hopefully your little one stays in there a little longer, only a little over 2 weeks and she will be considered term, keep us posted and i hope you have a healthy and pain free(ya right) delivery!
I am 35 weeks, and I too have the baby ball up, and my belly gets tight.  We just had a reality check last night, my friends sil was due two days after us we are due April 18th and she had her baby yesterday, we are so not ready. lol
Did any of you have an epidural to help with the pain or are you describing pain without any meds? I know you still feel pain even with meds but hearing this makes me want to have an epidural!
When i had my DD i was induced and thought i was only having BH contractions while i was on pitocin and i didnt feel any painful ones until i made it to 4 cm and the doc had broken my water. so if i werent in the hospital being inuced i wouldnt have known i was in labor. scary huh
i got an epidural, but it took the anestesiologist two hours to get to my room, i was 4 cm when he started, and 9.5cm when he stopped( i went from 4-9.5 in 10 mins) and then i had DD 15 mins later, so the epidural didnt even get a chance to numb me at all, so my experience was with no pain meds....so if you plan on getting an epidural, remember that something could happin, like if you progress too fast, you wont be able to get it, be prepared for both situations, i thought labor wasnt going to hurt that bad bc i planned on the epidural, and boy was i wrong,
pull your bottom lip over your head.. lol thats what REAL labor feels like but it all goes away in the end and the final result was well worth it  
It didn't feel like menstrual cramps to me or did I feel it in my back..it felt more in the lower front and bladder area, sharp pain...I felt like I had to constantly pee too. It was painful and the epidural was great but it wore off when the pushing happened and the real pain started..and I can't really describe it to anyone just that it was the most painful pain I have ever felt.  I actually got nerve damage in my left thigh and it is numb on the top outer thigh.  
But it was worth it.
i totally agree its a feeling you cant describe until youve been through it, DH tried to convince me he knew exactly how i felt because he had kidney stones, ya he tells me this while im pushing! i doubt it was as bad unless he had an 8 lb kidney stone making its way into the world!
thanks. i am just worried i guess. i thought that i could go w/o meds. but yeah i dont think so now. if it hurts like this now, i dont think i can do it w/o them.  But  thanks to all of yall. i love hearing stories about this stuff. i was in the room w/ my sil and she had the epridural(sp?) but it was wearing off after 2 hours, so they brought in this big damn  neddle(i am NOT afraid of them but WOW that thing must have been 10inches long and they gave it to her in her vigina (vagina)(sp?) that kinda startled me) and she said she still felt pain. and she ripped from front to back, or one whole to the other. **i do know to ask to be cut before anything like that happens, i heard it is easer to heal and recover from a cut than a rip.
The pain is indescribable, but I promise you you will know it when it hits!!!
I think it is almost identical to menstrual cramps at first, but then MUCH worse. Yes, unless you have been through it, it's indescribable. But for me it was a good pain because I knew it was my body getting ready to give birth. Each contraction I told myself it was good because I was that much closer to meeting my baby. I made it without pain meds two times that way. It's not easy, but if you get control of yourself and focus, it works!
I was induced with pitocin.  I had a strong urge to go to the bathroom in the beginning, #2.,....... and I wondered if I was having acontraction...
Well, within 5 minutes I had to wonder no more.
It's indescribable pain...... It's primal.. there are no words.  No one except someone who has gone through it can ever describe it to you BUT it's worth it and it does end.