Maternal & Child Community
what is your 7-8 month old doing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

what is your 7-8 month old doing?

i was just wondering what milestones your 7-8 month olds have started or mastered.  my dd has started to crawl (which is amazing to me b/c our other 2 were late crawlers), but she does not sit very well unsupported yet and she does not put a whole lot of weight on her legs and feet.  when do they start to be able to pull themselves up usually?  i know i have 2 others but i think w/ every pregnancy i've lost a little of my memory and i don't remember all these things!!!  lol  :)  thanks guys!
I have an 8 month old dd.  She sits very well by herself but isn't crawling yet.  She still loves tummy time, but is perfectly content laying there and doesn't attempt to crawl.  But my first dd was like that too until one day we looked away for a minute and she was literally across the room!!  Same as you, my dd isn't that interested in pulling herself up either.  She can stand pretty well holding onto something, preferably us!  She's quite the chatterbox though!  She will just sit down and talk to herself for an hour.  And she loves to blow raspberries - that's her newest trick.  She will have drool all over herself from doing that.  What a weirdo!!
edward stood up in his crib for the first time somewhere in his 7th monh, but i wasn't expecting it at all. i hadn't seen him try to stand or pull himself up. one morning i waled into his room and there he was, standing up! haha.
i don't know if i should be worried about her not putting a lot of weight on her legs or not...  we didn't do it very much before her surgery b/c we were giving her 5 injections a day in her thighs and also checking her sugars constantly on her heels.  so we thought trying to make her put weight on her legs at that time would be uncomfortable to her.  but now at almost 8 months she can't even hold on to something and put weight on her legs or she'll fall.  i practice w/ her and she looks so silly doing it b/c her legs are always crossed and even while i'm holding her she wobbles all over the place and she's on her toes!

but on a different note...  she is also a chatter box!!!  i mean from the time she wakes up, in between naps, until she goes to bed she jabbers all day long!  and she laughs at everything!!!
Mine will be 7 months on friday.  She is starting to crawl.  She barely just mastered sitting unsupported about two weeks ago and now she's just everywhere. She's testing the waters to see how far she can get.  She tries to pull herself up but can only get on her knees. We just lowered her crib last week and since then, she's learned to pull herself up so, we have to lower it again.  I thought it would be months before we had to do it again.
She also flips over from her back to her belly. That's a new trick too!  All she needs to do know is master getting into the sitting position (not me just sitting her up) and she will never sit still again. I just know it.
I wouldn't worry about your baby yet- If she hasn't had much chance to strengthen her little legs, of course they will not be strong enough at this point to stand on or support herself! Give her lots of practice and she will build up those muscles... For sitting- prop her up with a bobby or a bumbo chair and sit her under a play gym/mat- I nanny a now 13 month old and he didn't really start crawling until 9 months and he really didn't pull himself up until close to 11 months! Now at 13 months he's RUNNING around like a little madman! Just remember that no two children are the same and if you are truely worried, talk to your childs doctor and they can tell you where she should be at this point in time.  GoodLuck to you!
My son Owen was born May 1 and started crawling at 6  months 6 days old. A week later he pulled himself up on the couch. He is all over the place. I don't recall my first son being this quick.  Owen was crawling before he could sit up without assistance.  A friend of mine has a daughter that is almost 2 months older and hates being on her belly and does not crawl.  You just never know.
thanks guys...  i have a bumbo seat for her but i really only use it in the morning when i'm feeding her cereal to her (other feedings are in the high chair) but the seat was great for longer periods before she could wiggle her self out of it!! :)  i also have a boppy that she lays on to drink every bottle...  but as far as using that as support it sucks...  only b/c she always seems like she's dancing!  she won't stop moving long enough to balance herself upright and she throws herself back.  she jabbers and moves like she's singing and dancing... its so cute!

i'll just keep practicing w/ her on the standing part.  at her last doctor's appt i did ask the doctor about it and he asked me if she ws at least putting weight on her legs and i said yes but not much and only when i'm helping her...  he said as long as she was trying then she was ok.  her 9 month appt is in january  so i guess we'll see what she can do by then!  

thanks again for your input guys!!!
Cam is 8 months and is a crawling machine!  He has his own style, my first one did too.  He sits well when he wants and can stand when leaning on the edge of the couch.  He's a babbles too and loves to rotate his wrists.  He gets mad when we eat and he wants a bite, we're working on a little table food, but he loves his bottle, which is fine by me.  Cam kinda surprises us, by 8 months my older son was pulling up and waling at 9 months, Cam is nowhere near that though, but he's a little chunk and so laid back.  Had no idea he could sit on his own till last week.  I would sit him up and he would lean forward and pretty much kiss the ground.  Last week I came out into the living room where he was hanging out with my DH and he had crawled up behind him and was sitting there.  DH had no clue he was sitting.  Once we caught him he began doing it alot more.  He was a secret crawler too.  Every time I would turn around he moved and fast, even in place he could not possibly roll out of.  I finally caught him crawling for my laptop.  I was so excited and said look at you!  He threw his arms in the air, arched his back and flailed around on his belly like he knew nothing about crawling.  Did this a few times and then gave up and just crawled around us.   She sounds right on to me, such a fun age!!!
My dd started sitting up on her own at 4 months which was very early.  She started to stand supported at that time too but at 6 months she started to stand on her own holding on - just last week at just about to turn 7 months she pulled herself up to stand.  She has been walking while holding fingers since about 5 and half months but has mastered it within the past few weeks.  She has been rolling over - front to back and back to front since 5 & 1/2 months too.

Those are her advances - she was tested from a neurologist because she had seizures so they did tests on her developmentally - I was very proud.

Now on to her non advances - she does not crawl at all - she hates it.  She does now lay on her belly and hold her head up and laugh.  She even wiggles accross the floor but no crawling.

Everything else she is on target for.  She just turned 7 months this week.  She says ma and yeah.  She said da twice.  She also has a very good memory - she can remember somethign she did the day before and want to do it again - Like play with my sliding doors going out to my deck - or grab the remote when her tigger & pooh ends.
i thought it was just me...i know none of my 3 other kids didnt do half the things my 6 month old son does...he started crawling full speed at 5 months and 3 weeks...now he just turned 6 months and he is pulling up on everything standing, and will even stand by himself for a few seconds! i cant believe it since hes so little.
My son is 8months too and he has been crawling sinces he was about 5months old he was at full speed crawling at almost 6months About a week after he started to crawl he was pulling him self up my son started all that before he ever sat up own his own he didnt sit up by himself till he was 7 1/2 months he is 8months and 6days now and he is everywhere he knows how to open doors cabinets and everything some babys are sooner then others but its really nothing to worry about working with your baby could help them out alot I gave my son alot of belly time and i would lay in the floor with him when he got to where he could move some i would get down in the floor with him and hold a toy out for him and tell him to come get it at first he just laughed at me then he started getting on his hands and knees and rocking then one day he just started chasing a bottle across the floor. Dont stress over it your little one will get it soon